Anybody disappointed in SF's new Kroma?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awwww man. First elation, then depression. Guess we'll have to wait till the catalogs come out to know for sure....

hogx1

Newly Enlightened
There is no way its a single cell, unless its a rechargeable. Look at the tail cap and you can judge how big it is. Looks like it will be close in size if not identical to the U2.

IonFire

Enlightened
Copied from Brock's post in the link i mentioned above.

The two new things from Surefire was the "pocket rocket" a cr123 infinitely variable light, running about 750ma?

So i assume the Kroma and this other unknown or named yet light. A single cell, infinitely variable pocket rocket as mentioned.

I goofed, he kinda mentions 3 different lights.

The two new things from Surefire was the "pocket rocket" a cr123 infinitely variable light, running about 750ma?

And the mini beast, about the size of the M6 that can run at ?50w? using HID.

And of course the Kroma, like a U2 except all different colors.

The Photon ??? (I forgot the same already) AA sized light, very nice as well, many others, but those caught my eyes and mind.

I am off to the party!

That should pick up some down spirits i hope lol.

IF

Last edited:

atm

Enlightened
Actually I like the look of it too. It's more the price that turns me off at this stage. :broke:

Andrew

greenLED

Flashaholic
Don't bash a product without having seen reviews of actual use, or not having seen the light at all! I played with it at SHOT :nana: and I was very impressed. Even with all the light inside the SHOT arena, the light was bright enough to be seen.

The 2 levels and 3 colors of the chroma make it very useful for a lot of applications. Remember, SF lights are not designed or made for the casual light user. The Kroma is a very neat design, geared to a more specific niche, and I can see it being extremely useful for a lot of people).

BTW, the Kroma is a 2-celled body, and it doesn't work properly with a U2 head - I tried at SHOT. The switching mechanism works 2 ways: the selector ring (à la U2) switches between hi/lo for blue and red, while the tailcap switch does the 2 stages on white (Lux), and overrides the colored LED settings with full white (the colored LED's stay on, like with the A2 on incan/hi).

Now, the 1-cell light people are referring too is a (drumroll...) titanium (other metal choices to come) CR2 (123, AA tubes to come) light, with regulation in all infinite light levels. It'll come with a couple of different attachment modes (magnetic and miniature picattinni right now), and it's SF's first venture into the "mass lighting" products (granted "mass lighting" is a bit of a stretch - this is NOT your minimag replacement! - lets say it's their first venture into non-tactical lights). The 3-4 "pocket-rocket" (current nickname - to change, obviously) lights I saw were protos.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kiessling said:
I'll have to mark this day in my calendar ... SF will do a ... *gulp* ... AA body. :huh:
bernie

I don't need a Surefire AA powered light... my EDC Med, MillerMods L1P and 8AA LuxV Mag work perfectly well for me. Andrew Wynn's 400 lumen BAM! in a bored HA-III natural 8AA Mag will complete the AA collection.

Surefire needs to stay lithium CR123A and lithium-Ion... besides, how much fun would it be to keep correcting people when they ask what model Surefire my MillerMods L1P is? The look on their face is priceless when the spot the single AA NiMH cell powering it.

Sanny

Newly Enlightened
I agree with Lintott, green/red are also useful for communication/signal (go/no go, clear/danger, no need/need help, ...).
Actually I would have understood better something like:

4 white LEDs: nice full spectrum flood
4 red LEDs: night vision friendly
4 greed LEDs: NVG compatible, less eye-catching than white and red
4 IR LEDs: used with NVG's

considering that the purpose of the 5mm LEDs is low level illumination, and 4 good LEDs provide already a decent amount of light. If you need more you still have the main beam.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Kiessling said:
I'll have to mark this day in my calendar ... SF will do a ... *gulp* ... AA body. :huh:
bernie

Well, yes and no. :) The "pocket-rocket" will offer 1xAA bodies. However, PK showed us a really cool body that can fit 2, 3x123's, OR 2AA!!:naughty: Actually, the design has a "twist" and I'm sure you could fit a number of other batt-size combos in there as long as you don't exceed the tube's length and the LED/boards's voltage requirements.

Oh, and, Kiessling, you MUST come to next year's SHOT... you and B@rt.

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
In a thread about bloodtracking I mentioned Xenopus's blinking blood tracker.

I also mentioned that I thought that, in theory, a good blood tracker would blink/strobe alternately between red and blue leds. The blue would cause the blood to stand out a little being dark/black. The red would cause the blood to stand out by being bright red. So blood would blink black and red.

I see the Gerber Carnivor uses blue and red leds for blood tracking.

So, maybe one possible use for the Kroma, as some have stated, is blood tracking. Had it been engineered with an alternating blink mode along with the variable intensity central white LED I think it would work quite well for blood tracking.

The small caveat is that red flowers and, for that matter, spilled red paint would blink also.