Anyone using the MDC XP-L 16650 ?

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Gene suggested this light to me. He said it's been his EDC for the last 4 years.

It puts out 900 lumens in the cool version, and 800 in the warm version. I'm considering the warm version. Has 3 levels - 30 / 300 / 800 L. I'm used to how his 3 level switch works, because I have the MDC 2AA, and it's a pretty good UI. It's my nightstand light.

16650 will be a new battery variety for me. It will also run on two CR123s if needed.

It must be somewhat popular. It's sold out for now. If anyone has one, let me know how well you like it. Looks like a nice little light for a decent price.

Johnny Ryall

Newly Enlightened
I think that light just got an update too,
it was my first malkoff I ever got in neutral, I have the smaller aa and have a 123 I love but this is a gem for sure,
I threw a bezel on there and used it for traveling and camping cause you get better run times compared to the smaller 3 speeds. the 16650 body is comfortably pocketable for sure, when I don't need 3 speeds and at night I carry a 16650 E2T, its the perfect size light, I just wish they made a cren bezel for those heads.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
MDC XP-L 18350

mdcxpl-1.jpg

Received the head today and attached it to a LF E1 body and tailcap with a 1200 mAh 18350 cell inside. Nice little package!

Quality is typical Malkoff (excellent). The head is marked Malkoff Devices on one side and MDC 3.7-9v on the other. There is no other marking to distinguish this head from other Malkoff reflector E-series heads, though the voltage range seems unique to this head.

My output measurements came up to close enough to 800 lumens on high to call it meeting the 800 - 900 lumen rating. My M91B on two 18500 cells comes in about 100 lumens higher. True to Gene's v2 circuitry, the head produced the exact same output at both 4.2 volts and on two fresh CR123 batteries (6.4 volts).

Run time should be close to half of the published specs on the Malkoff site for the 2500 mAh 16650, coming in around 17 | 2 | 0.48 hours on the 1200 mAh cell. In a LF 18650 body with a 3500 mAh cell, run times would be roughly 1.4 times greater than what is published on the Malkoff site.

The natural comparison for this head is to the M91B. Initial indoor observations show the M91B has a slightly tighter, brighter hot spot, with the MDC XP-L having a noticeably wider beam. I have not yet measured the candela of the MDC XP-L, but I would estimate it in th 6k to 7k cd range. I'll take that measurement over the weekend. Color temperature appears true to the 5700k listing.

I'll come back with an update later after I spend some time in the outside darkness with this package, comparing it to the M91B and a E2T-MV Tactician. So far I very much like what I see!

Edit

My subjective outdoor observations confirmed initial observations above: compared to the M91B, the MDC XP-L has a wider but less intense hot spot, but noticeably brighter spill. Overall illumination appears about equal on high. On low, the MDC XP-L puts out slightly more light than the M91B on low with the high/low switch. Overall I prefer the beam pattern of the MDC XP-L.

Compared to the 800 lumen / 3,300 cd Tactician, the MDC XP-L has a very obvious edge in throw, but is essentially equal in spill brightness. The Tactician's spill is slightly wider. On low the MDC XP-L is obviously brighter than the Tactician's 5-lumen rating.

I think I just found my new EDC "everything else" light.

Last edited:

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
The 16650 is my EDC at work. Never failed me, dropped numerous times, etc. I went ahead and ordered the new one also. It was enough of an upgrade. I got the neutral version also. I think the version I have now is 500 lumens on high.

Attachments

• IMG_3040.jpeg
    IMG_3040.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 81

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
The 16650 is my EDC at work. Never failed me, dropped numerous times, etc. I went ahead and ordered the new one also. It was enough of an upgrade. I got the neutral version also. I think the version I have now is 500 lumens on high.
That looks like it has some miles on it. Glad to hear it has held up well.

Yes, I'd think that 800 lumens should be a noticeable difference compared to 500.

It will likely become my EDC as well.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
MDC XP-L 18650

Orbtronic 3500 mAh 18650 protected cell in LF E2 body;

mdcxpl-18650-1.jpg

mdcxpl-18650-2.jpg

In comparison to a slippery pineapple MD2;

mdcxpl-18650-3.jpg

Both with 18650 cells, MD2 = 6.4 ounces, Lego = 4.0 ounces. With knurling, grip ring and finger ring, the Lego feels great in-hand and is very secure.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Got my MDC XP-L Neutral yesterday. Seems like a GREAT little light so far. The 4000k tint is just right. I'm mostly used to cool tints, and the one warm Fenix I have is way to yellow, but this Malkoff is nice and fairly neutral.

I shined it outside while it was snowing last night and it looked great. Packs a good punch too at 800 lumens, but low and medium are more than enough for most situations, especially indoors, so runtime will be sufficient as well.

I'm already used to Gene's 3 mode switch, and it is easy to get used to, and quick to reach any mode. The rings machined into the body look nice and seem to provide excellent grip, for those who think that the pineapple texture is too slick.

I've been carrying it around in my pocket today and it's a good size. It's around 1/2 inch longer than the Fenix LD30 I've been carrying for a few years, and the same diameter. The LD30 is a little more versatile with more modes, a battery level indicator, and dual action clip, but it's nice knowing I have a fully potted Malkoff with me for more ruggedness and dependability.

As an added benefit, it fits perfectly in the belt holster that came with my Fenix PD-35 Tac.

Anyone who doesn't have one of these should strongly consider one.

Last edited:

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned several MDC lights of all various outputs and whatnot. I really wish Gene could do away with first mode being so bright. Make first mode sub lumen for late nights around the house. I also don't like to have to choose a CR123 primary or li-ion only light, why not make the MDC lineup duel fuel? The bodyguard is not sure why the others are not. 2 mode heads would be ideal. I feel cycling to get to high is annoying. When I'm at work with ambient light, I want to access high immediately. I do plan on purchasing more in the future, but waiting on Gene to hopefully change things up a bit

I feel the outputs and mode spacing on the AA MDC is the best in terms of everyday usability, it's just a rather large light for being a AA

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I also don't like to have to choose a CR123 primary or li-ion only light, why not make the MDC lineup duel fuel?
The XP-L is dual fuel. It will run on a 16650 or (2) CR123 cells.

I know what you mean about having a lower mode. I think my AA starts off at 3 lumens, where the XP-L starts at 30, but it's still rated to run at 35 hours on low, so that's pretty good for saving battery power, but maybe a little much for waking up at 3AM.

I still like it a lot.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XP-L is dual fuel. It will run on a 16650 or (2) CR123 cells.

I know what you mean about having a lower mode. I think my AA starts off at 3 lumens, where the XP-L starts at 30, but it's still rated to run at 35 hours on low, so that's pretty good for saving battery power, but maybe a little much for waking up at 3AM.

I still like it a lot.
I'm aware of the 2xCR123 lights are duel fuel as with most lights in that format are

They are excellent lights and one of my favorite companies, just wish he could implement some versatility in the MDC lineup, single cell duel fuel and moonlight mode are huge necessities for me in a light

Whistler24

Newly Enlightened
I feel cycling to get to high is annoying
I've had the same thoughts on my LMH mdc v2. I understand it's not a tactical light, but I wish it had a faster shortcut to high.

When you cycle through the modes too quickly they don't progress so you have to do it very methodically.

Still love the light and low and med are what I use vast majority of the time

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
When I'm at work with ambient light, I want to access high immediately.
If you cycle through low and medium and stop, the next time you turn it on it will be on high. If you want high every time, tap the light twice after you turn it off.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you cycle through low and medium and stop, the next time you turn it on it will be on high. If you want high every time, tap the light twice after you turn it off.
I understand how the on time memory works and I hate it. I will never get used to setting it up every time I put it back in my pocket. Much rather have off time memory or an option to enable off time memory

Gene uses on time memory because there's no parasitic drain from battery versus off time memory which uses parasitic drain from battery

Last edited:

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
I certainly understand the needs for "last mode memory". It's definitely not a bad thing.

I usually use this MDC on low, around the house, but if I'm working on something in the garage in daytime hours where I'm turning the light on and off a lot, I'll still use one of my Fenixes where I can leave it on one of the higher up medium settings.

Thank goodness for variety. It's hard to make a "one size fits all" flashlight, with people's varying needs and occupations.

Makes sense about the parasitic drain, and Gene does seem to like to keep things simple. The twist head high/low Malkoffs are likely a better option for someone who needs the light in high mode most of the time.

Robot Mania FU

Newly Enlightened
I'm sure a last mode or time off memory would sell great. Or even the option to program which mode it comes on in. I'm happy enough with the newer mdc's output staying the same across so many voltages, that I'll deal with the operation. Even though it's not my favorite, I'm getting used to it. I will say, not being able to bump it into a higher mode after it's been on for a bit is definitely a missed feature for me.

Last edited: