Arc-AAA "explosive decompression" (leaking Duracell)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the sentimental value of the light? Duracell will repair or replace any product damaged by their cells. You might be able to screw a brand new Arc-AAA out of them. Preferably with the new GS LED.

Last edited:

icecube

Newly Enlightened
Both of my Arcs have been harmed inside the body by leaking alkalines. The ones that came in the package.

Would be a cutie pie who replaced the foam and the bodies for me...

nbp

Flashaholic
:thinking: I had a coppertop leak all over inside a light a couple days ago too. I was able to clean it up enough and it works fine, but that seems odd to have a number of people all with leaks recently. Maybe a crappy batch of batts.

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. I've gotten to where I never leave batteries in a flashlight if the flashlight is going in a drawer or bag or anyplace it might be forgotten.

The emergency kit lights get Energizer lithium AA and AAA cells, hoping they don't leak. I've seen every kind of alkaline leak eventually, including some still in the blister packs with several years of 'freshness date' ahead of them.

I suspect the sidewalls are thinner than they used to be made, or the metal's less consistent or pure.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had something similar happen with an Infinity Ultra-G I own. A couple of years ago I went to urn on the light and the head was stuck. I tried unscrewing it and it wouldn't budge that direction either. I finally used a pliers and uscrewed the head and it popped and went flying across the room. It had a lithium Energizer cell in it that had vented (but didn't leak any fluid), the light still works great.

FWIW I've had alkaline batteries from every major manufacturer leak, usually in flashlights, and most often in Mags. Lots of Duracells have ruined Mags for me over the years.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
The body only can be bought from Peter if it is beyond repair.

It's more likely to leak if its accidentally left on as well.

It is best to change them out once or twice a year whether they need it or not. And in that case why not use Eneloop? Nimh leakage is exceedingly rare.

cy

Flashaholic
for some reason AAA alk cells are more prone to leaking.
had a large bag (150+) of new AAA alk cells... all different major brands. exp dates were years from expiring.

after sitting in my battery drawer .... a major number of new major brand alk cells started leaking by themselves.

need to chase down a few enloop AAA for my new Ti sapphire

deusexaethera

Banned
Man that sucks

i allways thought duracells were absolutely leakageproof

also i thought that li-ions and lithiums were the only ones that explode.

if the inside of your tube does not comtain electroninparts i think it is best to rinse with a lot of water.

those batteries contain acid and other dangerous corroding stuff.
Seriously? I've had dozens of alkaline batteries leak over the years. I've never had an Energizer Lithium battery leak, though.

Lighthouse

Enlightened
FWIW Arc's flashlights are pretty well sealed. I've purchased a number of Peter & Merri's flashlights over the years and have simply taken the step of checking them once a month or so to make sure that any pressure build up is relieved well prior to developing the pressure that yours must have. Lighthouse

cy

Flashaholic
used to think same thing... cam action, screwing down Arc AAA's head cause some of alk AAA leaks.

but after having loads of in date, new Duracell, Eveready, etc. AAA alk cell leak in a bag. now I'm not so sure that theory is valid.

Alk AAA cell mostly leak on bottom. one of the most common problem with Arc AAA is after alk cell leaks... materials that are base will attack aluminum.

long ago when working at a plating shop... we used to strip aluminum by dipping into Nitric acid. if we wanted to etch aluminum deeply, we'd dip into a vat of hot base. you didn't want to leave aluminum part in for long, as base would attack aluminum rapidly. you'd ruin your part in a hurry.

got a Bacharach combustible gases meter that I'm dying to test out when opening up a flashlight with gas trapped.

I'm with Illum_the_nation. I'd say pressure on the cell from screwing down the head to turn it on.

Last edited:

LumensMaximus

Enlightened
after sitting in my battery drawer .... a major number of new major brand alk cells started leaking by themselves.

need to chase down a few enloop AAA for my new Ti sapphire

I know this is an older thread but just got some fancy AAA lights and was looking for battery leakage posts :huh:. Has anyone seen enloops leak before, I won't use alkalines anymore, ruined a few lights as well :thumbsdow

ragweed

Enlightened
I have been using eneloops for awhile now & no leaks ever! In the rare case they should somehow leak mainly from overcharging in a cheap charger, I have read you can just flush out the leakage with water.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I know this is an older thread but just got some fancy AAA lights and was looking for battery leakage posts :huh:.

There are two threads on that subject (alkaline battery leakage) currently running in the /Batteries-Electronics/ subforum:
Your most leaked cells... PICS
Alkaline Batteries leaked inside the bag.

Has anyone seen enloops leak before, I won't use alkalines anymore, ruined a few lights as well :thumbsdow

Bumping a 2.5 year old thread and changing the topic to Eneloops? :ironic:

Closed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.