Arc will no longer be guaranteeing cosmetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
I do wonder about Surefire HA3. I don't remember ever noticing any color mismatches on Surefires that I've looked at, but I haven't examined that many.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, they're there.
I've got three E2es that range from light gray to dark olive.

Rotten Ron

Newly Enlightened
I agree with this is nascar. Some things cant be helped, like HA. Id like to make my own scratches in my 180$ light lens, optic, reflector, etc. I cant afford to buy two Arc4s and return the other, to assure myself a great quaility tint and overall satisfactory light. I am hopeing tint is not "cosmetic". If I was a regular smoe and didnt know any diff in tints it would be fine, but Im not.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
This new policy doesn't really worry me. I think anyone who's been here a while knows how Peter runs his business. I still think if you've got a legitimate beef with one of his products that it will be resolved to your satisfaction.

It's too bad that it had to become an official policy, but I suppose it was probably inevitable. I think he had to do it to protect himself from people who have no problem taking advantage of his willingness to please his customers. I don't think it means we're going to see the quality of Arc's products decline. To me it seems more like a "safety net" to show an unreasonable customer the door. I'm sure he doesn't want to turn customers away, but the simple fact is that some people truly are unreasonable.

This is just another example of a vast majority suffering for the bad behavior of a few.

Who are these ne'er do wells anyway? Speak up and tell us why you had to return your 4+ five times! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif

Peter

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Makes sense,
As long as the HA is reasonably consistent on each part, life is good. The optics HAVE to be clean to be a premium and I am sure that is not a problem. Some people are really anal about insignificant details, their inability to cope with reality should not negatively effect Arc.
Bet the anal 5+ flashlight buyer will now buy 10 Arcs and return the 9 he don't like. When you attempt to idiot proof something, nature makes a better idiot. Personally, I generally don't care what something looks like, the function of the device is 99% of my demands.

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
I'm not concerned with minor cosmetic anomalies on the EXTERIOR of the unit!

The INTERIOR which is essentially non accessible to the end user MUST be clean!!! No fingerprints, feline hair, grime, RTV beads, etc. (The list may sound strange, but that's what has been found in previous products defined as passing QC--none of Arc's)

I could care less if the mold marks lack symmetry on the push button or if the coating colours are not an exact match on the discrete parts.

Reflector anomalies and anomalies on the INSIDE of the egress aperture cover (lens) are NOT acceptable and grounds for warranty replacement IMO/IME.

LED TINT: Yes this can be a big issue. For premium products, the bad (too much blue or green) should already be sorted out. No problems there. One advantage of a single LED light is there is not a matching problem with neighboring lights. (I.E. Eternalight, HD Action Light, X5's etc.)

Still, I don't expect so much green that everything looks like I'm looking through night vision or so much blue that I can see where Tide has been spilled around the washing machine. My ARC UV is for that! :p

I wouldn't consider myself picky. This IS a $180.00 flashlight we're talking about here!

Cheers!

Rotten Ron

Newly Enlightened
When refinishing automobiles, pin holes(fisheyes) are caused by oil or grease from finger prints or other greasy contaminants. Proper prep will avoid these problems. I beleive its the same with HA. At the center of that fisheye the metal is not suffiently protected.

cy

Flashaholic
The primary mission of Hard Anodizing is to increase the wear/corrosion characteristics of the original soft aluminum. Cosmetic appeal is an afterthought.

The only way you can reasonably achieve more uniforms results is to control the entire process. (I.e. have the anodizing process in house) Then you still have to control the variables that will still exist. So you can only expect a small % increase in consistency.

I view Arc flashlights as tools designed for everyday use, able to survive rugged conditions.

Snap-on tools charge outrageous prices and come with a jewel like finish. I really don't get upset if I get a tool that contains a minor cosmetic blemish.

I know my tools will end up eventually with scratches, dents, etc.

Thanks,
CY

Topper

Flashaholic*
As this thread will not fit my screen I will not post later
nor look at it. I would like to say I am more than happy with the "seconds" I have bought from ARC beauty is only
skin deep to some.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rotten Ron

Newly Enlightened
The tint I am reffering to is the LED tint. If HA has a pin hole, it should be obvious that, that spot has very little HA protection. The pinhole is there because the HA is pooling around a certain area, not sticking in the "hole" causing a pinhole. Thats the way it works with paint anyways.

batterystation

Enlightened
My first Arc now looks like it has been run over by a truck. It gets lots of use here. I probably dropped it the first day I had it. I know my kids have. Some people are too picky. I do agree with Nascar regarding problems inside the light where I can't get to them to fix them.
That should not be.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
cy, could you please edit your links to illiminate window adjustments?

something to keep in mind is that arc's standards are still higher than anyone elses.
their binning and qc ensures that 99.9% of the products going out are at or above the standards of other companies.

lens fingerprints, reflector scratches, etc. are all likely to get caught in the qc process and go out as seconds anyway. in the rare occurance of a fingerprint inside, i'm sure you'll be taken care of.
this is an "official" policy, but that only means it's official.
arc's "official" warrantee was origionally 10years, it has recently been bumped up to lifetime, but only "officially", as it has always been peters intention to offer lifetime service.

Bosley

Newly Enlightened
Are returned Arc's re-sold as factory firsts or does it depend on the reason for the return? I would hate to think that picked-over Arc's are being re-sold as firsts, but the Arc packaging makes it impossible to tell if the light was taken for a test drive before it was returned.

darkgear.com

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
batterystation said:
My first Arc now looks like it has been run over by a truck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto here. My EDC is a wreck. My EDC AAA is far worse. Peter has always said that his lights were designed as a tool first. Those of you looking for collector pieces outta go buy art or something...

Sorry to hear you have to deal with this Peter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Best regards,
Randy

Bosley

Newly Enlightened
I am also confused by this:

"You may return the light of course during the 30-day satisfaction guarantee period but not replace it with another light."

So now, rather than 'exchange' it for another light, you just return it and then place a new order. Same result, no?

Danosaurus

Newly Enlightened
What do you guys think about dust under the lens? Is that a cosmetic or functional defect? I have exchanged emails with Arc and described the problem, there is dust and two big hunks of lint stuck to the inside of the lens, visible only when the light is on. They replied that it's farkle, or the bond wires in the LED. Now, I've owned a few flashlights in my time and I'm quite familiar with LEDs and I know dust when I see it. Up until now it hasn't been worth my time to pursue the matter. But since this thread came up I'm wondering...is this a cosmetic issue? Overall I am very happy with my LSL-ST, I got it during the last closeout special at a great price. I think if I had paid over $100 my feelings might be a little stronger on the issue.

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hell, if you don't like it, don't buy it.

I feel for Peter.

I fail to see anyone bitching about Surefires crappy QC/customer service/high lamp prices/bad tailcaps/HA blemishes/etc./etc.

I just received a Pelican M6 LED. There is a small ding in the bezel.

So what ! I would put worse on it in one day.............

Fine light.

And I am not going to send it back.

Jarhead

Banned
Dust in this real spendy light is a definite nono.

Even a Mag is pristine when it is new.

How about folks start posting photos of these defects, so we all can see the scope of the complaints?

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Slow down John. Take the time to search or read the forums. There are plenty of the same complaints regarding SureFire products. When talking price, the Pelican M6 doesn't belong in the same sentence as Arc and SureFire. My expectations are lower with the $40.00 (or whatever it is) M6 than they are with the $180 Arc and SF lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts