Arc6 auctions: first set of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclops942

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somewhere in the vicinity of Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Then you had to pay to be a beta tester, right?:confused:

olrac,

I was merely joking that saying "crazed CPFer" was being redundant, because being somewhat crazed seems to be a prerequisite for joining CPF to begin with; then when you read the posts that many of us make, many of us seem a bit off on the best of days; and when you see the post count of some people and compare it to their join date and do a little math, you find out that some folks spend an AWFUL LOT of time reading and writing in this community (although that does make it a better community and information source for all of us).

It was a failed attempt at humor, nothing more.

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
olrac,

I was merely joking that saying "crazed CPFer" was being redundant, because being somewhat crazed seems to be a prerequisite for joining CPF to begin with; then when you read the posts that many of us make, many of us seem a bit off on the best of days; and when you see the post count of some people and compare it to their join date and do a little math, you find out that some folks spend an AWFUL LOT of time reading and writing in this community (although that does make it a better community and information source for all of us).

It was a failed attempt at humor, nothing more.

Oh I get it now, my bad:duh2:

mikes1

Enlightened
I am suprised to see the auctions going so high. Even for an old cpf'er like me, it is sometimes difficult to guage what people are thinking by a few posts here on the CPF.

My opinion is that things will settle down soon. What fury we did see was a gambit of a few to trying to get more than their fair share. Both the CPF and myself have invested into the Arc6. It would be nice if everyone got a fair return for their contribution. Occasionally you get people who think they invested more than what they actually did

Peter I have tried not to be too negative about this whole eBay thing but this statement seems to me not to make a lot of sense if you wanted fair set a fair price and sell one per customer
As we all know something is worth exactly what some one is prepared to pay unfortunately not all Arc fans have deep pockets so if you want a first run you need to be loaded is that fair?

I apologise in advance if this causes offence but there you go

And yes I still want an Arc6

Mike

Last edited:

coby1man

Newly Enlightened
I personally like the idea of an auction. It's one of the most optimal way to transfer goods to those who want them the most. Arc should attempt to gain the most dollar for their products, they are not a charity.

Where do these extra dollars go? The extra dollars will help quickly pay down debts owed so that the next manufacturing process can begin. The other extra dollars generated will go to those people who took the business risk to invest into this market, they will now have further validation of this niche flashlight market and will probably increase their R&D dollars for subsequent products. In the end we all benefit.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope this is not TMI. You know what they say about having a little knowledge... It is worse than no knowledge or complete knowledge.

You guys would be suprised how much it costs to develop a light like the Arc6. I have heard of over $250k being spent on a similiar light by another team. I developed the Arc6 for less than that. This is one of the things I feel good about when I reflect on the past 2 years.

The IPOD is a lot more complex but do you know how much it cost to develop? More than most people think it did.

"As we all know something is worth exactly what some one is prepared to pay unfortunately not all Arc fans have deep pockets so if you want a first run you need to be loaded is that fair?"

And you have to be loaded to develop and manufacture one as well. See the connection? Sometimes the market is uncanny at matching cost to value. Fortunately, as volume increases the load is shared by more people and the price drops. Sometimes this takes several years. There are a few nieve people who think the mfg is just trying to gouge the consumer but they would learn quickly if they actually tried to mfg a product themselves.

Don't you worry too much about what you think is fair. Even if the Arc6s went for well over $1k each, CIS would still be left holding a significant bill. This is normal and was expected. That is why we desire to make more than just a 100 units.

I can see how this ignorance of what things really cost would cause some people to think they own me or my endeavors. This goes back to what I said earlier about some people over estimating their contribution. The CPF contribution is like a key. To get into the building you have to open the door, which is bigger than the little key. But the key opens the door.

Your contribution is key and I do appreciate it very much. And friends challenge each other to be better.

I was suprised when I saw you guys being suprised by the complexity of developing the Arc6 based on the few pictures I posted in the first "new LS" thread. I bet people would also be suprised to see the budget for a project like this. I can sympathize. When I was younger I used to think that people didn't build spaceships in their backyard and go the moon because they just didn't want to. Turns out, it is kind of difficult. The dreams of a child versus the realities of life. I want to still dream but dreams that pass over to reality. :)

peter

Last edited:

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
...but as you said, you're not going to recoup your investment on the 'betas' anyway, so why auction them? Are they rare? Yes. Do they deserve to go for more than MSRP of production lights? Yes. But why didn't you simply put them up for what you feel they are worth, generate some kind of lottery system for CPF'ers and then everyone wins?

olrac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't get it? Everybody keeps beating this dead horse. It's pretty clear how they are going to be sold. love it, hate it, indifferent to it, but deal with it! It is starting to sound like nagging wife talk,either buy em or not.
(just for the record I don't agree with the whole way this thread was handled by Peter, but it's his decision or his bosses, not mine)

Last edited:

sbebenelli

Enlightened
I don't get it? Everybody keeps beating this dead horse. It's pretty clear how they are going to be sold. love it, hate it, indifferent to it, but deal with it! It is starting to sound like nagging wife talk,either buy em or not.

You tell us to deal with it and then you go ahead and give your 2 cents about how it was handled. Aren't you beating the same dead horse with this comment?
(just for the record I don't agree with the whole way this thread was handled by Peter, but it's his decision or his bosses, not mine)

EricMack

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, nothing is ever 100% perfect about a light, even from the big boys (Titan....). Not even the timing nor way its released. Peter has shared what he's willing to share, which is a lot more than some of us are giving credit for. The auctions are what they are... its Arc's choice, let's hope they get the info they need, and the lights end up in true enthusiasts hands (they will).

How about we show some CPF spirit here, and just congratulate Peter and Arc for bringing out a long awaited product? :twothumbs No reason to keep flogging, enough has already been said.

Bring on the lights!! :thumbsup:

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you EricMack and thank you bidders. I have worked on this light for a long time and it good to see the day has come for it to ship!

peter

mikes1

Enlightened
I dont think responding to another members post is flogging a dead horse

Were the first IPODs auctioned?

I dont really remember worrying about what was fair but that would be my choice would it not

Mike

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dont think responding to another members post is flogging a dead horse

Were the first IPODs auctioned?

I dont really remember worrying about what was fair but that would be my choice would it not

Mike

You are right, the Ipod was not auctioned. I mentioned the Ipod to encourage people to look beyond themselves and learn about the cost of development, not to make a statement about which venue is best. I gave my opinion on the venue earlier.

And yes, you may unilaterally make up your mind what you think is fair but for fair to actually do any work, it requires consensus. And btw, do you notice how an auction captures consensus so effectively? :)

You do have choice in another matter: how you spend your money. I believe if you are unhappy with the situation, you should not bid. Maybe that angle will make you happy?

Simple stuff guys.

Any more questions about this?

peter

Last edited:

mspeterson

Enlightened
I have a question.....Who the heck keeps outbidding me!!!:mad:
Stop it!!:poke:

:p:grin2::crackup:

Congratulations on your achievement, Peter. :twothumbs

craigberesh

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I am a little nervous putting in a comment in this thread. As the last thing I want to do is offend anyone here. Well I never had a chance to bid before It got out of my range. For me it takes a lot of saving for me to buy a quality light. (tight budget). So its hard for me to bid as I get outbidded quickly. I really wanted a ARC6 as I have watched it grow on CPF. Perhapts Peter might consider donating 1 or 2 to CPF for a contest or something. This way it benfits CPF and perhapts some of us who do not have deep pockets might just win a ARC6.

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL ... CPFers are aggressive here with bidding here. I'm constantly getting outbidded too. There's more than 4 days left, it's already reaching a level that I cannot afford. I may have to wait for the 2nd wave. Also, I don't care about the serial number, JUST GIVE ME A LIGHT!!!

I have a question.....Who the heck keeps outbidding me!!!:mad:
Stop it!!:poke:

:p:grin2::crackup:

Congratulations on your achievement, Peter. :twothumbs

sbebenelli

Enlightened
Maybe I missed this. Will there be more Arc6 after the 100? I've seen it asked before and can't seem to find the answer.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Arc6 has been in development for a very long time with lots of $$ poured into the effort. Do you honestly believe that anyone would pour that amount of effort and resources to build just 100 units? Come on folks, let's put that grey matter between your ears into gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.