Are you holding Fenix Purchase until Fenix comes out with Cree XR-E Based Lights?

Are you holding Fenix Purchase until Fenix comes out with Cree XR-E Based Lights?

• No, I love Fenix, I buy every light they bring on :)

Votes: 8 3.0%
  • No, I love Fenix, I may buy any of Fenix as I please :)

Votes: 56 21.0%
  • Yes, I love Fenix, I am eagerly waiting for Cree XR-E based Fenix

Votes: 110 41.2%
  • May Be, but L0P-SE is too tempting, I may cross the line ;)

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • May Be, but I will hold on for now

Votes: 39 14.6%
  • I have Fenix, but I will not buy Fenix Light in future

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • I do not have Fenix and I will not buy Fenix Light anways

Votes: 17 6.4%
  • No Option

Votes: 12 4.5%

• Total voters

Martini

Enlightened
I believe the price of older Luxeon-based lights will drop through the floor when XR-Es start hitting the shelves. I plan to buy lots of the easy-to-mod ones at rock-bottom prices so I'll have a multitude of hosts (sounds biblical) for the next generation Luxeons.

There is no reason for XR-E lights to be expensive. On the contrary, the days of waiting lists and exorbitant prices for premium bins may be over. We won't know for sure until large volumes of them are in use, but the consistency of these LEDs is supposed to be far beyond what we've seen in the past.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
readyme said:
I can't wait the 6-12 months. I am sure it will be great, but I am not willing to wait till they are readily available...and I am sure they will be expensive as all hell when they first come out anyway. I just bought a Fenix L2T with the 1x123 body from www.fenix-store.com and I am eagerly waiting to see how it does.

I think that you will be very happy with your purchase. The new lights will not make the existing ones perform poorly. The L2T is a great light at a great price. It is one of the lights that I am considering purchasing even with all of the other ones that I have and even in light of the new LED's.

-Goatee

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lit Up said:

I'm holding on any and all flashlight purchases until XR-E lights become available from any manufacturer.

But......there are dark sides of this (Cree XR-E) story too...
Bright Side v/s Dark Side
1) it's true that it kicks Luxeon K2 and Luxeon III for its brightness but how many of you / us know how does it compare to Lumen Maintainability???
as of now the question I posted is still unanswered.. oh it was post 13 of the thread!... we do not have any user test data yet...perhaps chimo or NewBie could do the honors :)

2) I recollect similar was the sentiment it's true for K2's, but when they actually got out, it was a bitter disappointment when we came to know that they were under performers.

3) it's true that Cree XR-E is bright, but why (apparently) such a thin layer of prosper coating? it's still unanswered and why do they need 3 bonding wires? why even bonding wires are coated?

4) it's true that Cree XR-E is exciting, but do they have enough stock to cater our needs? will there be enough premium bin's available? how much is the yield of the bin Q3 (93 - 100 lumen's @ 350 mA), so many questions but no answers yet....

5) Point is, in analogy with Intel Processors, we see that computing power is increasing, but do we stop buying computers just because some one has just announced New Chip? (some thing like this is what was told to me when HDS Price was fallen down from $300 to $125, I believe same applies to Fenix Cree XR-E based lights too).. I mean what's the point in holding on?

I believe, It will take at least 6 - 8 months before any manufacturer (including Fenix) comes up with any product based on Cree XR-E. Not to mention the Cree Production delays and the Demand-Supply thing.

I am glad that out of 154 people who have taken part in the poll so far 46 wont be actually waiting for Cree XR-E based lights and would rather buy as they please :)

NightHiker

Newly Enlightened
I'm holding off on pretty much everything until they come out. The test results we have seen just blow everything else so far away. I don't think it will be particuarly long either. There is already one custom light out there with one, after all, and many newer manufacturers appear to have very fast development time (Fenix, Wolf Eyes, etc).

Mike89

Enlightened
Someone mentioned here an AAA cree at 160 lumens. I about fell off my chair! I don't see how that's possible (what would the runtime be, about 10 minutes?, heh heh) but holy moly, would be something if it was true. For me, it's more about light output and less about runtime (I can always carry spare batteries). I recently bought an E1. Wasn't entirely satisfied with the light output (though it's still a nice light) so bought the L0P. Now that was more like it, it blew the E1 out of the water. About $10 more but it was worth it to me. The cree definitely sounds interesting but if I need a light in the meantime, I'm not going to wait. As was stated, the cree doesn't mean what we have now is any less brighter.

Last edited:

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
A single AAA light at 160 lumens?
Take a XR-E bin code Q3 and it will give you that at 700mA and around 3.35 volts for 2.35 watts. Figure the converter is 80% efficient...
3.35/1.2 = 2.8
2.8/.8 = 3.5
.7 x 3.5 = 2.45 amp draw! That would be a heck of a pull on a single AAA battery.

Take the same Q3 bin and drive it at 250mA for 70 lumens and you get .2 x 3.5 or a 875mA draw. A Powerex 1000mAH AAA NiMH can handle that easily for over an hour of runtime. Now make the light a 3/15/70 lumen three stage light and things get very interesting. :)

*Retired*
Quite honestly, and personally, I see no reason to buy *any* light whatsoever with a LumiLEDs Luxeon in it anymore.

I think I'm going to start taking my Luxeons and retrofitting 5mm LED flashlights with them, to improve the output. I see no reason at all, for using them otherwise.

McGizmo has shown one can make the CREE throw just as well as the Luxeon, with a tremendous amount of more light output. And with the higher efficiencies, if things are done right in the flashlight, you will get a cooler light, and longer runtimes.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes the market to react and bringing the current generation of XR-E technology to the mainstream.

warpdrive

Enlightened
I have to agree with the others, I will hold off buying any new light until Cree based ones start to appear with mass market manufacturers. Ideally I'd like to see a Surefire based Cree, but since I don't expect them to release a Cree based light anytime soon, I will likely buy a Fenix based Cree if they come out with one.

daveman

Enlightened
I think I would buy Fenix lights mean while ONLY if they don't they cost too much. Any money I spend on ANY luxeon light would just be discounts that would otherwise be applied to my next Cree purchase.

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
BentHeadTX said:
A single AAA light at 160 lumens?
Take a XR-E bin code Q3 and it will give you that at 700mA and around 3.35 volts for 2.35 watts. Figure the converter is 80% efficient...
3.35/1.2 = 2.8
2.8/.8 = 3.5
.7 x 3.5 = 2.45 amp draw! That would be a heck of a pull on a single AAA battery.

Take the same Q3 bin and drive it at 250mA for 70 lumens and you get .2 x 3.5 or a 875mA draw. A Powerex 1000mAH AAA NiMH can handle that easily for over an hour of runtime. Now make the light a 3/15/70 lumen three stage light and things get very interesting. :)

:sold: That would be so, so sweet.

underdust

Newly Enlightened
NewBie said:
Quite honestly, and personally, I see no reason to buy *any* light whatsoever with a LumiLEDs Luxeon in it anymore.

I think this statement best describes my feelings as well. As of now, the Cree looks like such a large jump ahead of the Luxeon, that I can't see spending any more money on "older" lights. Instead, I will probably set aside any money I was considering on spending, and use it to save up for the "next best thing"... whatever it may be.

These are definitely exciting times.

Last edited:

Lumbee1

Newly Enlightened
:)> said:
I just ordered a Cree based L2T from www.lighthound.com

I guess that the wait wasn't that long after all!

-Goatee

Just kidding! but I did order a normal L2T tonight.

Damnit!!! I immediately became speechless and started searching lighthound.com before I scrolled down. :rant:

:lolsign:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
ViReN said:
But......there are dark sides of this (Cree XR-E) story too...
Bright Side v/s Dark Side
1) it's true that it kicks Luxeon K2 and Luxeon III for its brightness but how many of you / us know how does it compare to Lumen Maintainability???
as of now the question I posted is still unanswered.. oh it was post 13 of the thread!... we do not have any user test data yet...perhaps chimo or NewBie could do the honors :)

2) I recollect similar was the sentiment it's true for K2's, but when they actually got out, it was a bitter disappointment when we came to know that they were under performers.

3) it's true that Cree XR-E is bright, but why (apparently) such a thin layer of prosper coating? it's still unanswered and why do they need 3 bonding wires? why even bonding wires are coated?

4) it's true that Cree XR-E is exciting, but do they have enough stock to cater our needs? will there be enough premium bin's available? how much is the yield of the bin Q3 (93 - 100 lumen's @ 350 mA), so many questions but no answers yet....

5) Point is, in analogy with Intel Processors, we see that computing power is increasing, but do we stop buying computers just because some one has just announced New Chip? (some thing like this is what was told to me when HDS Price was fallen down from $300 to $125, I believe same applies to Fenix Cree XR-E based lights too).. I mean what's the point in holding on?

Yes, but I have enough lights to wait the storm out. ;)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep hearing that the Cree won`t make the luxons perform worse and thats sooo true. And my wax candle still performs the same too.

Ken