Astrolux S41S help

RollerBoySE

Enlightened
It shuts all the way off, even if I only turn it on the lowest setting it still steps down until it's off...

That sounds like the over discharge protection triggers for some reason. Are you sure that the cell is charged and OK?

Polynikes

Newly Enlightened
That sounds like the over discharge protection triggers for some reason. Are you sure that the cell is charged and OK?

Pretty sure... it's definitely charged, and the battery is brand new I'll have another one to try in it when I get home in a few days... but I'd wager my problem will persist.

Need a Light?

Newly Enlightened
Since it seems unlikely that multiple batteries even after charging act this way, could it be your charger? What kind is it, and if it has multiple settings, is it on the correct one? (Don't mean to ask the obvious, but hey sometimes it's overlooked?)

Marconelly

Newly Enlightened
I put an 18650 tube on, got the Sony VTC6s charged them up, and my light is still stepping down exactly the same as it was before... any thoughts? I've had this thing for 2 weeks and haven't been able to use it.
If you're sure the battery and the charger are OK, you might want to exchange the light. That's not normal behaviour. That said, I'm not too happy with this light, even though mine is functioning as it should. In a default configuration (with no 18650 extension) it heats up way too much on high mode, and drains pretty quickly. Turbo mode I don't even bother with anymore for more than a second or two, as the battery drain is incredible, and the heat it generates is legitimately skin damaging level. On top of that, mine at least has a slightly greenish tinge with Nichias compared to my Eagtac D25AAA, which has perfect neutral tint. I should really just accept that this is a 18650 light, and not exactly a small light I was hoping it would be.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hehe, dont complain about heat and runtimes. Its small, it's extremely hard driven for it's size. And the copper heatsinking is exellent. So ofcourse the heat will reach your fingers in seconds. And it will have runtimes messured in minutes with a 18350 on the higest modes. Complaining over heat and runtimes, will be like complaining over a ferrari on full throttle. "I dont like it. My toyota prius uses less fuel" :) I agree on the tint, not as good as other nichia lights i own. Slight hint of green in the low-med modes... I kind of want the new version with 219c leds. It's warmer in tint, so hopefully no green.

wle

Newly Enlightened
Kind of what I was thinking, like maybe I got a bad battery or something. I forgot my charger at work though :mad: so it's gonna have to wait until tomorrow.

it-might-do-that-if-the-switch-was-stuck(sorry-about-weird-formatting)

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
it-might-do-that-if-the-switch-was-stuck(sorry-about-weird-formatting)

Oh, yeah. This forum driver does have quirks: copy-paste a space character into your answer and a space key regains its function :)

Back on topic: my S41s (self assembled from parts) is nearly OK except this:

The battery is Sanyo NCR18650GA. When voltage drops (3.414V in the video) this driver ML mode PWM degrades to some nasty vibrating crap. All other modes are OK.

Polynikes

Newly Enlightened
Victory! Lol
Now I have a working S41 and a project S41 I can use to learn more about flashlights [emoji854]
7a18aae6abc4a09654cc503dd088dc8e.jpg

Polynikes

Newly Enlightened
I bought mine in bits with the 18650 tube, Its great so far ;), Still pretty confused about the interface tho :p

18010177_792449130922835_9070369763491700900_n.jpg

I'm also still confused about the interface... lol
2cfdae7735fd35f678107f82c7e75160.jpg

Disassembled and heat colored the non-functional one... still have a lot to learn about what kind of options I have with it... I want to put amber LEDs in it but I don't have the slightest idea of which ones if any would work