AW C Li-Ion cells, what will you replace them with?

evenchaos

Newly Enlightened
One thing that puzzles me is why can't AW manufacture both ICR & IMR cells for using the same can die? From what I understand, he ceased manufacturing the li-ion C batteries because the die disappeared with the failed factory, yet now he is manufacturing almost the same size cells but only using IMR chemistry. Am I missing something?

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing that puzzles me is why can't AW manufacture both ICR & IMR cells for using the same can die? From what I understand, he ceased manufacturing the li-ion C batteries because the die disappeared with the failed factory, yet now he is manufacturing almost the same size cells but only using IMR chemistry. Am I missing something?

This same question has been asked by a number of my friends, if he can make the IMR C cells why cant he continue to make the Li-Ion C cells......is there such a major difference?.......there must be a technical reason for it but only AW can answer this question.....I am sure some of us would be interested in the answer.

Tirodani

Newly Enlightened
I'm in a bit of a quandary over what to do with an FM 2C body, now that I can't get these cells. In particular, won't the IMR cells kill all high output 6v bulbs that will fit in a D26 head, yet still underpower all the long life ones?

The IMR-9 would be attractive, but claims to require a twisty, and as far as I can tell none is available for the FM C body.

:thinking:

bretti_kivi

Enlightened
IMR = "safer" chemistry. Medium term, I'd suspect all LiIons would be replaced with these, at least standard, loose cells.

If there's no demand, there's no product. If the factory doesn't want to make the "old style", then....

Bret

Tirodani

Newly Enlightened
....or the BigLeef, or the Mag C etc.....as far as I know.

I saw somewhere around here that the IMR-9 is drawing about 2.5 amps. Perhaps Fivemega could say whether that's reasonable for the switch in the C body.

AW

Newly Enlightened
They are different. 25mm vs 26mm ( the 26mm casing size is readily available because they are made for 26650/26770 cell sizes ). The 25mm casing + 25mm safety vent module is custom made for protected C cell because it need a smaller diameter cell to accommodate the connecting strip for the pcb. 1mm makes a big difference in cell diameter. I can make the 26mm protected C cell but it won't fit a Mag C because it 'll measure at least 26.5mm in diameter. Even with a 26mm cell, it will be a tight fit.

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
AW said:
I can make the 26mm protected C cell but it won't fit a Mag C because it 'll measure at least 26.5mm in diameter. Even with a 26mm cell, it will be a tight fit.

That's what I have been wondering myself. I took my calipers to my 4C but they don't quite reach the battery tube. Whether a 26 mm cell will fit is not assured - do you have a C Mag and can you check if a prototype goes in?

If it does, we are in for one of the most exciting hotwire pases ever on CPF. (And if it doesn't, we'll get good at honing!)

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I have been wondering myself. I took my calipers to my 4C but they don't quite reach the battery tube. Whether a 26 mm cell will fit is not assured - do you have a C Mag and can you check if a prototype goes in?

If it does, we are in for one of the most exciting hotwire pases ever on CPF. (And if it doesn't, we'll get good at honing!)

Just measured my 2xC Mag at 26.5mm, the BigLeef at 26.2mm and the Fivemega C at 26.1mm.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
They are different. 25mm vs 26mm ( the 26mm casing size is readily available because they are made for 26650/26770 cell sizes ). The 25mm casing + 25mm safety vent module is custom made for protected C cell because it need a smaller diameter cell to accommodate the connecting strip for the pcb. 1mm makes a big difference in cell diameter. I can make the 26mm protected C cell but it won't fit a Mag C because it 'll measure at least 26.5mm in diameter. Even with a 26mm cell, it will be a tight fit.
AW, thanks for the post, this clears things up some.
Just measured my 2xC Mag at 26.5mm, the BigLeef at 26.2mm and the Fivemega C at 26.1mm.
Thank you for the measurements, this is helpful.
Where are [unprotected cells] available?
My question as well. Good thread, this.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
After searching for unprotected 26500's, all I came across was the 2500 mAh from KD. Do you have in mind another source carring 26500's that have higher capacity?
I have some "5000 mAh" 25500s on order from DX, real capacity is apparently about 3000 mAh. I'd like more, but that's still almost twice what you get with NiMH AAs, and I don't need to mess with holders...

In light of AW's remarks, apparently these (being 25500, not 26500) were intended for making protected cells.

I think fabricating a protection 'puck' could be one possible solution for me, but I don't think I'd want to bother for a 'C' cell with only 2500 mAh. Can one be used between a pair of unprotected cells, or should two be used, one on top of each cell? In that case, I imagine a single driver 'puck' on top of the cell stack could be quite useful going forward.
I don't know; I'm actually planning to do the evil thing and run them naked, with no protection in the light either. Frequent voltage measurements FTW! I think it would be hard to fit a protection circuit in this one, and I'm more concerned with melting down the flashlight than killing the batteries; once I've toasted it (Who'd have thought 35W in a $5 yellow-light would cause grief? :rolleyes:), and moved all the components to a more robust host, I'll probably see about a low-voltage cutoff.

Protection on each cell would be the best thing, in case of imbalance, but I think protection for the whole stack should be good enough if your cells match. (And it depends; if you're charging the stack in series, I'd definitely be worried about not having each cell protected for over-voltage; if you're using loose cells (my approach) or otherwise charging individually or parallel, I'd try to make sure I can trust my charger not to burn things, and use just low-voltage protection in the light.)

Perhaps someone who's done this before can correct any of this; while I like to think I've got a handle on this stuff from reading, this will be my first Li-ion build.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Good luck with that. As far as I am concerned DX & Quality becomes an oxymoron. Personally, I would go with Powerstream.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, i've just ordered a FM 3 C body! i will be running a WA1185 bulb with the new IMR's from AW, will the runtimes be bad or how do i charge these?

Can you put 3 Alkaline C cells in it? If so, it would work nicely with Malkoff M30 module.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Can you put 3 Alkaline C cells in it? If so, it would work nicely with Malkoff M30 module.
Post # 28, this thread:
Actually I now would like to try and use my M30 (1V to 5.5V, 1A) with 3xC Alkaline cells (4.5V) in the FM 3xC body. Never used Alkaline's so have no idea of the run time in this combination....any ideas? I am sure I will come up with some kind of spacer if I look around my garage. :)
Post # 29, this thread:
That is _exactly_ what I've been thinking about for the last day or so. Three C's would run the M30 quite well in the FM 3xC.:thumbsup: You should go from ~140 lumen (2xC) to nearly ~240 lumen, as that is the rated output for the M30 with 3.7volts input, and you'll get somewhat less voltage sag from the C cells than from the AA's.

I'm going to check runtime on 2xC / M30 next week, FWIW.