Backing up pictures from HD

Pydpiper

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm.. That could very well be. I can't seem to find any other information on it. But having said that, there are a couple buttons on the menu system that refer to DVD data CD's and I can't push them, yet I can all the others.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the software have a tools menu? You may be able to see the writers properties there. That should tell you the speed it can write at and what it will write on..ie CDR-W/DVDR-W.
HTH /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
External hard drives are a good thing but the external Maxtor I bought overheated. It had a regular hard drive, like one you install internally in your computer, encased in a shock isolating case. The shock isolation was good, but the drive was essentially hermetically sealed with no cooling capability. When I used it for a couple of hours straight it got hot enough to fry eggs, and all the data on the drive was corrupted. Because it was a backup, I didn't lose anything. I have since cut away some of the shock isolation stuff to permit air flow, cut a hole in the top of the case, and mounted a small fan. It looks ugly, but it works.

My next external drive will be one I make myself by installing a standard hard drive into an external case that has a fan. NewEgg sells several of these cases, some with quiet fans.

nethiker

Enlightened
When I was looking for a backup solution for my pictures, I settled on a combination of dvd copies and the simple tech hard drive. These are pictures of my first child as he grows and I'm going the belt and suspenders route to insure my kids have pictures to share with their children.

I make a hard copy to disk every 4-6 months and store them in a seperate location/house in case of fire. I then use the external hard drive on a regular basis to back up. The Simple Tech has not overheated and comes with great software that only backs up the files that have changed on your computer since the last time you backed up. This is important as a full back up takes many hours for me.

Of course the least expensive solution for you would be to make duplicate backups to disk and keep one set in a seperate location. Then, when you backup to disk, just swap out one of the copies. Here's a link to the Simple Tech drive if you are interested. 160 GB for $99.00

Greg

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
No matter what technique you use, it's a good idea to make sure to set up reminders to create those backups. Mark it on a calendar. It's easy to forget to make the backups for months at a time.

Something people tend to forget is that both media (floppy, tape, optical disk, cd, DVD) and storage formats (arg,jar, jpg, gif,zip, bz2) can and do become obsolete. Even RAW formats may not be readable in 20 years, if the format of that particular file is no longer supported by the software makers of the day.

Particularly insidious is the tendancy of backup programs to create backups that only they can read. If the company goes out of business and you change your OS you may find yourself with backup disks that you can not read.

I mention this only as a reminder that when you get a new storage device you should copy everything to the new format, even the old stuff that you hold onto but haven't looked at in years. You should also re-copy all digital media at about 1/2 of the expected lifetime of the media.

Next to my desk is the following old media from the last 20 years;
QIC-80 tape (3 types),
DAT tape (2 types)
5.25 inch floppy
3.5 inch floppy (4 types)
CD-R
CD-RW
DVD-R
DVD+R
DVD+RW
Several pulled drives from assorted upgraded PCs, Laptops and Tivos.

Hmmm. I guess I can get rid of the 5.25 inch floppies, since I don't have a drive that will read them any-more. They once had correspondance from the early 80's. Likewise, the disks from my days as an Atari user are probably unusable, since the programs that read the files no longer exist.

Hope your effort goes well.

Daniel

Latest posts