Bad Ice Storm in Charlotte (picture link added)

hotfoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to see you back, Doug! I started to worry when I saw those pix you put up of all that frozen landscape around you.

Stay safe and warm!
grin.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by Quickbeam:
Thanks, Lux. You know, I lived in Green Island for a while. Remember the Brown & Moran pub? I think it's now the Troy Brewery or something. I still have a pint glass with the Brown and Moran logo on it...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wow! Small world. Green Island's only a couple miles down the road from here.
cool.gif

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Looking forward to the info!

I have the faceted Trident (green). It's not bad, but put the writeright stuff on it and it's great! Mine, however, came with a krypton bulb.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Seeing the pictures of your flags covered in ice reminded me of our ice storm last winter. We had freezing rain with about a 20mph wind. I did not know that a cotton flag would freeze solid while flying in a 20mph wind! I found my flag (was on a 40 foot mast) in 2 inch by 2 inch pieces all over the yard. The flag had broken into little pieces while flying in the wind!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I have friends living north of Ottawa when that huge ice storm hit a few years back. Their whole town was evacuated by the National Guard. The most frightening sight was to see those giant steel high tension wire towers crushed and crumpled like cardboard and those 500,000 volt wires hanging down.

Brightnorm

Albany Tom

Enlightened
Great article! I'm going to cut and paste it into my electronic collection of survival stuff. (As soon as I find where I've put it...)

Did you notice the LW3000 and 4000 being any dimmer at the end? I'm thinking, w/o power for 2.5 days, you used them for probably 3 evenings and maybe mornings, so around 20 hours? What did you do for food? Did phone or cell service work? Which headlight did you like best?

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
AT -

We did not notice the LW4000 or 3000 becoming any significantly dimmer.

For food we had hot oatmeal and tea in the morninigs, we had bread and tuna so we made sandwiches for lunches, and for dinner we ate out. The restaurants in Huntersville (north of Charlotte) had power.

Bell South brought in 600 portable generators and hooked them to the phone systems all over the state so the phones worked. Everywhere you went you could see the yellow generators dotting the landscape. The the cell phones did work, but use was limited since most people had no way to charge them up.

Which headlamp did I like best - It's really a toss-up. Since the Septor and Trident saw the most use on the 1 led setting, it didn't really matter which one was on our heads at the time. I prefer the Trident since the reach of the light from the incandescent bulb gives you more options.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's another one about to rip through the my area - plus 5-10 inches of snow. I think Tom and I will be the only ones within miles that are prepared for it.
grin.gif

Canuke

Enlightened
The only thing that you needed for some amazing pictures would have been a sunny day after the ice storm. Back in the mid 90's, we had one back home, in Canada just northwest of Buffalo NY. After the freezing rain, the next day dawned sunny and cold. It was incredible! Light was dancing around everywhere. I shot three rolls of film. Four shots are up on my Website:

Icestorm 1
Icestorm 2
Icestorm 3
Icestorm 4