Batteries - Pull out or leave em in?

Argetni

Newly Enlightened
I currently have about 47 lights in my collection and I keep batteries in all of them, some are alkaline, some are Lithium 123s.

Some lights almost never get any use, some get used all the time.

I like to have anyone of them ready to go at a moments notice, hence leaving the batteries in all the time.

Is this a bad practice?
Should I leave them unloaded when not in use?

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhhh. I posted already!!!! It dissapeared!!!!! Unless I forgot to hit the continue button /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyway, yeah, pull the alkalines. I have lost a $80 G@meBoy by leaving them in to long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif Although, that was about 6 years ago /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just started replacing all AA and AAA batteries in lights I use infrequently to the lithium counter parts. If I really don't use a light I just pull the batteries.

-LT

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
When I went to use a light (SL TT3AA) that stayed in my truck, it wouldn't come on. Two batteries fell out, one was stuck. I was pissed!

It had leaked just a tiny bit, but that expanded the cover and stuck it.

I now have Lith AA in that light!

When I packed up for storage before the move, I unloaded most of the lights. 'Nuff said?

I use and play with mostly NiMH loaded lights. Free use is cool!!!

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, I have had many alklines leak in stuff I leave them in so incase I need that item it will run.

As mentioned, one reason I do not complain about cr 123 batteries or jump on the pilla bandwagon. I like knowing my light will be ready 9 years and some off months from now for use if i do not forget and leave it on.

mcl2u

Newly Enlightened
I just got my first 123, a QIII, but i have about 4 other lights that use alkalines. How often should i use them so i don't have to pull the batteries out.

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would pull anything you dont use. But thats me who doesnt have the money for a lot of cr123s. So I dont like having to pull them from lights, not knowing if their used or almost dead...

I have had a Modded Mag go bad on me cause those cells sat to long. So, for sure with the alkalines

Cameron

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you don't use it at least once a month or have it in an emergency location for use or it is a throwaway light yank the batteries out. The only lights that need batteries are the ones you do use and the one that you need to use to find the batteries to put in the ones without them. If you have them in emergency lights make sure and write on them with a marker or on the light when you put them in and once a year if they are alkalines pull them out, put new ones in and use the ones you pull in stuff you use regularly or give them to the kids to use them up quickly. Forget about storing heavy duty batteries in lights. I use them up as soon as I get them in stuff to get rid of them or give them away as they are the worst about damaging stuff when leaking.

I also write on batteries packages the date I purchased them so I know how long I have stored them myself. Test alkaline batteries that are in emergency lights after you have used them a bit and if they are below about 1.3v/cell replace them with new ones so you will have full run time ready in emergencies.

AuroraLite

Enlightened
Argetni,

I used to put batteries in a dozen of my flashlights, but I realize that though I claim I would want them to go in a moment notice, I realize many of them kinda overlap in terms of their use(throw light, flood, long runtime, etc...)

So now, only a handful that I use on weekly basis will have batteries in them. For the rest, the batteries stay right next to them. Also, I have a battery list for my most frequently used flashlight to track the performance for varioius batteries with different lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Found out the hard way too. Im glad this came up, got a lot of mini mag's that I dont use anymore i need to drop batt's out of. I ruined my favorite Green mini with a nice leaky energizer and I don't see the dark green mini's on the website or anywhrre else, bummer.VDG

bjn70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had several things damaged by leaking Alkalines. Every one of them was with Duracell batteries. I've never had another brand leak.

Techmedic

Enlightened
Just last week I reviewed a spare trauma bag with a mini-mag, and although it worked well (bright) one of the batteries negative terminal was "wet" meaning it has just started to leak. There was a spot of internal sidewall damage that was removed with some running water and small round (chainsaw) file. Whew that was close!
If you MUST leave them in the light, check the light every four months AT A MINIMUM!
By this I mean;
-turn the light on, good and bright?
-remove the batteries and inspect for wetness - if any wetness or leaking, send both batteries to garbage. Replace with fresh batteries
-if batteries have a best before date and it is past that date even though they are bright - replace them
-Use up the date-expired batteries in kids toys, bedside lights, etc..
-make a list of where all of your lights are and when they are routinely checked. Better yet, make a mental note to check them all at the start of every new season.
Household emergency (e.g. power fail) lights NEVER have the batteries installed - there are lots of other lights to grab and get the bins opened to load-em up.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
one thing I think would be nice to do if find some of that clingy plastic that comes stuck to things like sunglasses, LED and other displays etc that you peel off. It has no adhesive but is just statically clingy. If you could get a roll of this and write on it information about batteries etc and stick it to the lens of a flashlight, you peel it off when you use the flashlight and it will remind you of battery usage etc. I wonder if there is a place to buy a roll or sheet of that stuff. You could even stick it on monitors as post it notes and car windows too.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just pulled out a severely leaked Duracell AA from an LCD clock/thermometer, which did a number on both of the contacts. I wonder if I should just wrap a layer or two of aluminum foil on each side before inserting it into the thing, just to add a layer of protection to the device. This wouldn't work with tube type devices, but I've got a lot of low drain long term devices that I don't think about checking until they stop working, and this might help stem the corrosion.