Beamshots of 4 lights....Lots of Pictures Added

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the new photos have been added. You tell me which light is performing the best. Is it the 120 lumen light, or the lights that claim at least twice the lumen output? :popcorn:

Yapo

Enlightened
That's the thing i like about optics...you dont waste light!
Most of the light goes into the hotspot unlike with reflectors where maybe only half does which makes optics appear brighter.
Also surefire is known to slightly underate their lumens whereas the others are generally slightly over rated.
Also the new surefire optics have a fairly smooth beam with abit of soft spill around the hotspot which reduces tunnel vision unlike the old gens/inova optics which were abit ringy.
It's nice to see that u can have the same throw as something with twice the output without having a tighter hotspot or oversized reflector.

I got a 2008 model olight T10 a few months ago which has been sitting on my table collecting dust as i hate the beam pattern...The hotspot's too tight to use at short-med distance although it has a brighter spill than most light... and as the spill is brighter, it doesnt throw far enough to be used at longer distances.

I recently got a Led Lenser P5 which is great as its 60 lumens throw further or just as far as any of my lights rated at twice the output and it also has a larger hotspot(although not as smooth as the new surefires optics) which can be turned into a smooth flood anytime!

So it's not the lumens that count, but what you do with it that does.
just my 5c!

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put up all those pictures....and that's all the comments I get? Come on CPF! You can do better than that. :wave: Throw em' at me, and let me hear what ya got to say...:popcorn:

Last edited:

Gator762

Enlightened
I put up all those pictures....and that's all the comments I get? Come on CPF! You can do better than that. :wave:

One thing I noticed is that it seems there is a lot of background light in the picture... Pitch black would be much better for beamshots. ;)

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
What pictures do you see background light in? All the inside pictures were taken in pitch black conditions, except for the flashlight beam of course. And, the outdoor pictures were taken after 9pm, so it was very dark out for the outdoor shots also. :shrug:

One thing I noticed is that it seems there is a lot of background light in the picture... Pitch black would be much better for beamshots. ;)

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought for sure that this would have more life in it. I was expecting a lot more response in regards to the apparent disparity between the way companies advertise lumen output. I guess I was wrong....:confused:

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great work on the new shots! :thumbsup:

I guess there aren't many comments simply because it's pretty well known a lot of manufacturers state emitter ("bulb") lumens instead of torch lumens. And it's well known Surefire understates their lumen figures, while most manufacturers overstate them. Then there's the reflectors vs. TIR optics argument etc.

So... :shrug:

But, anyways, it's really nice to see it all in shots, side by side like this!

Gator762

Enlightened
What pictures do you see background light in? All the inside pictures were taken in pitch black conditions, except for the flashlight beam of course. And, the outdoor pictures were taken after 9pm, so it was very dark out for the outdoor shots also. :shrug:

I was talking the outdoor shots... It seems from the trees to the left there was possibly light from the house? More spill than I expected from all of them to be captured with the camera.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, that is just the spill from the flash lights. The trees are much closer than the fence, and the spill is brighter on those trees than farther out on the fence.

I was talking the outdoor shots... It seems from the trees to the left there was possibly light from the house? More spill than I expected from all of them to be captured with the camera.

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Al. Good to see you. My stuff can't compare to the shots you've been posting though. I see you are becoming quite the collector yourself.

Good to see you, too. Yeah, I've been on a bit of a tear trying to find a few things for myself and about 5 to 6 other people (including some gift stuff for the others this year). I partially blame you for showing me some examples of true quality. :)

On the photos, I do all right with still shots of flashlights as objects, but I rather suck as a beamshot person. It's not something I've ever really had to practice before, but I'm trying to get it figured out. One of my solutions is to watch you and learn. ;)

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm REALLY disapointed by the Wolf Eyes drop in. I own a sniper with a R2 rated at the same lumens and really like the beam. After seeing this comparison though, I think I might seriously look at trying out one of the Surefire LED setups. I was always dismayed at the fact they had very low rated lumen LEDS, but it looks like thier 120 lumen rated LED wins the shootout in this comparison!

WOW:eek:

Dan

tobushomme

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I've been tempted by th e2d L (thats this nasty little defender?) for a while now.:crazy:

One question remains thoug: does it take rechargable 3,6 V cells?

Darn, if this is a yes, I'll have to get one.:sick2: So let's hear it.

auf wiedersehen (Here's some more German: How up do high knee! Meaning: get lost, moron!) Like the e2d L meant to be used in emergency only :)

Tobus

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use two AW protected rcr123a's in my E2DL, and it works great. :thumbsup: I guess it's time for you to purchase a new E2DL :cool:

I think bondr006 secretly works for SureFire, much as I seem to secretly work for Fenix. :whistle:

LG&M

Enlightened
Thanks for the beam shots. I am waiting for the SF P61L to come out it should be brighter then any of them. Any one know when it's due?