Best Buy Scam

EV_007

Enlightened
Oh man, I can attest to this. I recently went to buy a camera while traveling. Before leaving the hotel, I checked their website and wrote down the sale price. Then I went to the store and sure enough the higher price was shown next to the product on display.

I ask the sales attendant to check it for me, he comes back with the same full price shown on the price tag. I let him know that I saw it online and quoted the sale price, of course he could not find it.

So then I whip out my iPhone and he notices and proceeds to log into the actual site that outsiders use. I mention in passing that I heard a rumor that their are two different websites.

He said it is based on the zip code you enter. Yeah right, anyways he matched the price. Then I go it shouldn't matter since your online store and this one are one in the same, correct?

I almost went over to customer service to raise the issue, but I think they are aware of it and think the majority of shoppers don't know any better. I saved $150 that day.

I agree, print out the page from their website and then show them it after they insist that it is not on sale and challenge their reasoning. You'll get different answers from different people.

It's one of my favorite stores, but this practice of steering customers to the in-store prices is a bit disconcerting.

They are a huge retailer, they don't need to resort to this back alley tactic.

da.gee

Enlightened
Same thing happened to me when I purchased a Samsung monitor a while back. Had printout of web page with great price but when I went in price was higher. Fortunately had the printout and they gave me the lower price. I think it is total BS. They know what they're doing and it is dishonest. If that is their corporate attitude what else does that attitude spill over into?

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been my experience that none of these big box electronics chain stores stay in business for very long.
But there always seems to be several new one's to replace them.

mechBgon

Enlightened
It would be interesting to try reaching their public site from inside the store using a proxy. I suppose they block proxies at the gateway, though.