Best EDC?

NuckenFutz

Newly Enlightened
Which one of Vinh's lights would be the best EDC?

Looking for something that can be carried in a jacket pocket or in a small tool box?

Nice throw and flood would be great, but would be more interested in flood. More important to light up an area for inspection purposes than to see long distance.

Cheers
Rhys

Sent from my SM-G900I using Candlepowerforums mobile app

ven

Flashaholic
I think you need more than one of them:whistle: then rotate and have a back up:D

I do like the D25cvn that Ken suggests,great output,nice ti and a small easy carry size. Fed IMR 16340 for best performance :cool:

NuckenFutz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys 😎

Good places for me to start. Will checkout

V11Rvn
D25Cvn
PD35vn

Probably more questions soon.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Depending on the type of inspection you are doing, the time you can have the light on without over heating can be an issue.

Stock lights have a step down, Vinh's are balls to the wall on max output............so typically, the MAX output might be about 5-10 minutes before its too hot.

If you just need 5 minutes at a time to check something out and that's about it, no problem. If you need the MAX output for an hour, etc...you'd need a large enough light to handle the heat/medium output to be "enough", etc.

:D

How long at a time would you need the max output?

How far, in meters for example, would something you had to resolve be?

lumentia

Enlightened
My first inclination was to say v25cvn, but 'jacket pocket or small tool box' tells me it could probably be bigger than that. My bro edc's his in a holster no prob.

The fenix tk35 is a great form factor for that kind of stuff- I.e. easy one handed on/off/mode change- and even fits in a back pocket ok for a little while because of the flat handle, although I kinda think that would be about max. Runtime is decent for a light that size since it has 2 18650s. I don't have a Vinh modded tk35 but often thought about sending him mine to boost. Or just getting his modded mtg2 model. Fyi mine always wears a butler creek blizzard flip up scope cover with the clear lens which I bead blasted. Super diffused wall of light that's awesome for close up work. Flips open for decent throw. Beam on mine has a smallish hotspot that diffuses into a large, bright corona. I think just current boost would be excellent.

Last edited:

thenorway

Enlightened
There are a handful of good ones. My favorites that get rotated around.
D25C2 XML-2 & XPL version
RTT01 Great little flooder
TX25C2
PD35 Great beam just a little long at times
C20C
Atomvn I carry this everyday,Very cool light

RCantor

Enlightened
V11R is my pants pocket choice but for jacket pocket I'd use the V25Cvn or if you have room the MM15VN. A 12" x 6" x 6" toolbox has plenty of room for an MM15VN depending on what else is in there and you'll definitely win the 'mine's brighter' wars. :)

NuckenFutz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for your input. Thinking V25Cvn is the winner for me. Seem to be gaining a larger and larger collection of 18650 type lights, will stick to the tradition at moment

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for your input. Thinking V25Cvn is the winner for me. Seem to be gaining a larger and larger collection of 18650 type lights, will stick to the tradition at moment.

If you like the V25C, check out the V20C. Vinh makes them about the same brightness, I think, but the V20C has some advantages.

From selfbuilt's review of the V25C:

Of course, there may be a reason why we haven't seen that before – it's hard to know where your output will be before your turn on, and at some point along the dial, the light has to go from Max to Off. :shrug: Personally, I would have preferred detents (defined stops) for Max and/or Off. Alternatively, I suppose they could have had the light ramp both up and down from Max along the ring - but then it wouldn't have been clear which way to turn (i.e., at least now, you know clockwise will always increase output from off or low). Again, there is no perfect solution to this issue - and your preferences may vary from mine.

Note also that the ramp has been updated for a true "visually-linear" ramp (based on modern perceptual research), which I consider to be a plus. The ultra-low levels are all still there, albeit over a shorter portion of the ring turn. However, the ring spends almost half of its turn in Max output, which was unexpected. Personally, I'm fine with the dynamic control over less than half the turning range – it makes it convenient for one-handed use (although I still miss the detents). In any case, I suggest you pay close attention to the ramp testing results earlier in the review, to see if this suits your needs. :whistle:

A few other changes that are not so welcome are the increased standby drain in the Off region of the ring (although this may not matter if you are sure to always leave the light clicked off at the tailcap). Screw threads remain square-cut, but are no longer anodized for lockout (likely due to litigation issues). And some of the previous extras like the grip ring and holster are gone now. :shrug:

Something to think about, anyway.

mks195

Newly Enlightened
Since my PD35vn has not yet arrived :candle:;

my current Best EDC is a stock TX25C2 xml2-u2; already an excellent thrower, but I will send to Vinh for ''modding'' as soon as he gets back.

NuckenFutz

Newly Enlightened
Almost a V25Cvn but..... Locked in for X2vnT. Thanks again for thoughts and inputs peoples.