Best Flashlight For Under $20?

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys,

Thought you guys might be able to help me out...

My friend asked me today what would be a good flashlight to keep in a family van...

After seeing that his budget was under $20 :thumbsdow I had a difficult time coming up with something....

My suggestion was the Princeton Tec Quad... a headlamp is perfect for vechile operations where two handed use is a must... however his wife doesn't like the idea of a headlamp :rant: ... so she'd rather want a flashlight... any idea of a cheap GOOD light? Seems that most of the lights we all like are way more expensive... Am I going to have to recommend a maglite? :ohgeez:

Thanks guys!

Bill97z

Newly Enlightened
brinkmann maxfire if they want bright with a lot of throw, or an inova X1 if they want battery life. Both at target.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you live near an REI store, you can get free shipping on this one, which makes it a pretty good deal. RR 2xAAA at Target at $10 each is a pretty good buy for a light that will run at a useful brightness of 5 hours plus moon mode (10 hours if you put E2 lithiums in it).

You can get 2 Nuwai TM313Xs for about $25 shipped here. (Note those prices are in Candian $) Nice, reliable 1AA 0.5W light

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
YOu really need two lights for storage in the car. One for signaling other drivers and searching the night for survivors amongst the wreckage; and one for changing a tire or fumbling through the trunk / engine compartment. For the first I recomend an incandescent with lots of throw that takes lithiums. Surefire G2, Brinkman Maxfire. For a while Sam's club had a special on 2 for one lithium lights by Cyclops for $6 each. For the second I recomend the 2xAAA riverrock / streamlight enduro headlamp also with lithiums ) for extreeme temeperature resistance.

Lobo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I they aren't inclined to spend more than $20 I wouldn't suggest a light that doesnt run on regulars. Personally I like the Blimp, it's superbright for one hour, but only with NiMh. Dorcys Metal Gear is also a really good budgetlight, pretty bright in the beginning and after that long runtime. And the Maglite LED 2AA or 3AA aint that bad either.

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I would vote for the Brinkman Maxfire on this one, as well as one of those $.99 orange plastic match cases. You could give him two CR123a to keep as spares and he will stay under his $20 budget. If he won't go with a headlamp, then he really needs a good incandescent for seeing down in the engine, not an easy thing to do with an LED light in broad daylight.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
leukos said:
I think I would vote for the Brinkman Maxfire on this one, as well as one of those $.99 orange plastic match cases. You could give him two CR123a to keep as spares and he will stay under his $20 budget. If he won't go with a headlamp, then he really needs a good incandescent for seeing down in the engine, not an easy thing to do with an LED light in broad daylight.

Good point about the limitations of LED in daylight. Leaning more toward the Maxfire at this point.

Bror Jace

Enlightened

Burgess

Flashaholic
Lowe's Task Force 1-watt Luxeon, 3-AA black plastic flashlights.

A fantastic deal last month, when they were on sale for $2.50.
grinser2.gif

Still not bad at the current price of $9. Duracell alkalines included.

Get TWO of 'em. Yep, two. Trust me.

Stick one in each door storage area. (if possible)

That's what i did for my father's pickup truck.

This way they'll always have one at hand, no matter what.

Simple operation. Common battery size. Can't go wrong here.

Very good flashlight value. Even for demanding CPF'ers.
smile.gif

3mw

Newly Enlightened
How about a PT Tec40, I believe it comes with a set of AA batteries. Tell him to throw in a KPR103 or a 3D Mag bulb. I also think he will like the idea of cheap alkalines or running it on rechargeables.

42km

Newly Enlightened
As much as I like my Brinkmann Maxfire LX, I think I will recommend a MagLite. I haven't priced them recently, so I don't know which model specifically. IIRC, most MagLites come with a spare bulb in the tailcap, run on standard batteries and replacement bulbs can be found at ACE Hardware, TrueValue, Home Depot, etc.

My 2 cents, anyway.

42km

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey thanks guys! I think its a toss up between an Inova and the Mag 2AA LED...

I really am thankful for your help guys! :D

lightUup

Newly Enlightened
For under $20, any Maglite will be good enough for him. Or, a Streamlight ProPolymer 4AA Xenon.