Best Light for close up work.

Ratus

Newly Enlightened
I think that a M6 LED would be just fine.

Yes, I have one and it is bright. It's about the same length as a mini-m@g.

But if you want an even flood you just take the reflector out, you want a dimmer light put in some used batterys, want it bright use fresh batts.

Also the color rendition is wonderful. Pelican got a great batch of lux's.

And definitely get one from Kevin for $45 that and get some more 123a for a buck each.

LightHearted

Enlightened
I just got the SL Propoly 7LED for $19.99 from Costco, and I love it. It's not quite as bright or white as my luxeon modded Rayovac headlamp, but the beam is very nice for close up work. When I need both hands free, I prefer the lux modded headlamp, but for most other times the beam on the SL is my choice. Check this thread for a similar discussion if you're interested.

Ken

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I agree that a headlamp would let you work more efficiently, and like the Tikka Plus I just got. However, the light is rather blue, it's not that cheap, and most important, a headlamp is harder to carry.

You have to fold the strap, and have a big pouch on your belt, and so on. It's going to be more trouble to carry and is a more delicate tool than a standard torch, but makes your life much easier when you need two hands.

It's easier to handle a rigid metal or plastic tool, and slip it back into its holster. However, the NiteIze headband holder doesn't seem that useful, hard to aim and all that.

daloosh

LOTL

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Light_Headed said:
Hey Lord Of The Lights,

[/ QUOTE ]

Its actually Larry Of The Lake /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Wow i didnt expect this many replies to my post. I think i will go with the SL ProPoly 4AA LED, and one of the headlamps. I do some computer repair on the side, and im always doing the balancing act while working inside cases.
I cant see myself carrying around and wearing the headlamp at a customers site. May be the dorky factor, but a lot of times i need the light to quickly identify something, and thats it. I already carry wayyyyy to much in my 100+lb tool case when i go into a customer, and one small flashlight would suffice. I do some camping as well, and i have seen numerous people with headlamps on, how do some of the headlamps people have mentioned work for long distance use, and would they be applicable for both long and short distance viewing?
Also anyone know if there is a holster for the SL ProPoly?
And where i might order one from?

LOTL

Newly Enlightened
Well the bright guy had it all...
Ordered the Tikka Plus, SL ProPoly, UK 4AA eLED, and the RipOffs combo holster that i have been looking for forever.
Ill let you all know what i think of them after they come in.
I had been looking at the UK2 AAA eLED previously and didn't like the looks of it, and then had a look at the UK 4AA eLED and was impressed with the looks, reviews and it gets me into a Luxeon for $20.
Thanks to all for the information. And if there is anything else i should know about my selections feel free to let me know.
LOTL
(a.k.a. Lord Of The Lights)

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Hi Larry

I only knows about the Tikka Plus, but since you just ordered one, my comments are germane. (Jermaine, where's that Michael got to?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As to distance, Petzl rates the Tikka Plus on high for 15 meters. Out camping in real dark, maybe, but with regular light pollution in a town or around other campers with fires, that's a little optimistic. It's more intended for close up work, like putting up a tent or cooking breakfast early in the morning before sunup, or reading a book or finding the latrine. Suffice it to say, I won't be hanging up my Surefires or Arc4+ anytime soon. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, the water resistance is not anything to write home about. There's no rubber seal, so don't drop it in the stream. Drizzle will be OK. Still, if you get it wet, just open it up, take out the batteries and let it dry out. It will be fine (this reflects personal experience, as in I was horrified at first to see some big drops of water in the LED compartment).

All in all, a nice, not too expensive, handy tool with many purposes. You'll find it perfect inside a computer case, as well as camping. The one control is easy to use and intuitive, the variable power levels are great, the band is comfortable. I thought the Zipka was cool, with the retractable wire, but that thing won't like the mud and my wife's hair would definitely get caught in it, so Tikka it was. No regrets. The optional case is nice, but has no belt loop.

daloosh

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
PR-T head with a MM or BB500 on an E1e body with the reflector removed. If you need throw, put the reflector back in. I couldn't believe how well the PR serves as an up close light with the reflector removed. I've only tried this with non anodized heads though. I don't know if anodizing would affect the light output.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dork factor aside, in the situation like the last NE blackout, my headlamp was way more useful than any handheld light I had. True, if you only have occasion to look at something without having to interact with it, a handheld is more convenient and less of a spectacle to others, but the time I had to change a windshield wiper blade in the dar, I sure missed having my headlamp handy...

Latest posts