Best reflector for ROP hi bulb?

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
What's the best reflector for the ROP hi bulb in a mag?
I'm not really looking for the type finish, I'm looking more for which "brand" (ie: modamag's M2, or litho's, or etc.)
I've already got the deep reflector and the M2, but I dunno how they compare to each other.
Thanks for your help!

Also: what type of reflector gives the closest beam to the stock reflector? Are there small hole type reflectors that accomplish this too?

Last edited:

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kryosphinx said:
What's the best reflector for the ROP hi bulb in a mag?
I'm not really looking for the type finish, I'm looking more for which "brand" (ie: modamag's M2, or litho's, or etc.)
I've already got the deep reflector and the M2, but I dunno how they compare to each other.
Thanks for your help!

I have no experience with Modamags M2 reflector but Litho123's Medium Stripple kills all artifacts of the ROP lamps. I have a few of the Light Stipple here now and the beam is pretty nice though still has a little batwing artifact but is probably the best compromise between throw and flood.

Mac

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
hmmm... light stipple huh?
How does the light stipple compare with the LOP?

On the side, the stock reflector puts out the best beam I've seen yet. It has some batwinging, but not too bad. The M2 reflector has much worse batwinging. The spot completely demolishes both the deep reflector and the M2 reflector.
So if I could get a metal version of the stock reflector, I'd be happy.
Are Litho's reflectors camless metal versions of the stock reflector?

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best reflector for the ROP high output is the stock one from Pelican that comes with the Big D. 4", light stipple. It makes a very big difference compared to a stock sized mag reflector.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Litho123 reflectors are stock profile. So the smooth would be pretty close to the stock reflector but metal.

Mac

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I've tried mine with a FiveMega LOP (the same one my M*G85 is NICE with!) and it ain't shabby at all.

If a certain deal goes through, I'll have one of them there 2" deep reflector/bezel gadgets that's supposed to make the M*G85 even more WOW. We'll see if the LOP gets freed up.

For now I have what I THINK is a FiveMega SMO around my ROP HI, and it ain't bad.

Just switched 'em. The ROP HI in the LOP still has just a smidgen of artifact outside of the main spot in white wall hunting, but is actually quite nice in use.

I hope the deep reflector DOES come my way!

Kryosphinx

Enlightened
cmacclel, I'll try one of those Litho123's then. thanks

PlayboyJoeShmoe, let me know how that deep reflector works on your ROP. I just wanna make sure mine's not an anomoly.

Man, all these reflectors cost lots of $$... Yeesh!

kennyj

Enlightened
As long as it mates to the Mag head instead of to the body, the actual host should make no difference as the two heads are identical at the bezel end.

Personally I'm considering a MOP for my upcoming ROP LE, using one of the non-stock reflectors that pulls closer to the bulb. I do need some throw, but I don't necessarily need a tremendous amount of it, and there are times when a flood is useful too... but the more I think about it, the less I'm willing to put up with a donut hole or having to refocus the light. Hence, I need a compromise. I might even consider HOP or LS but that might not leave me with enough throw. I really wish I had something to compare against... guess I'll just have to grab more than one. :D

As an aside, reflectors that fit the bulb better, like the M2 for instance, probably get worse with artifacts simply because more of the light is being reflected. More of the bulb's image projected forward = more of said image's artifacts becoming visible. You're getting a brighter beam with more throw, it's just not as pretty.

Realistically, though, will you actually notice if the hotspot is misshapen during everyday use? As long as what you want to see is lit up, and you care about seeing it, beam imperfections will probably be the farthest thing from your mind.

Finally (I know this post is very random, and I apologize) can anyone describe how orange peel and stipple compare in terms of flood, throw, and light transmission? It's pretty clear to me that heavy stipple is much more diffuse than HOP, for instance, but how can say HOP be compared to LS? Is the stipple just the next step after OP or does the texture behave differently in some way, creating a different compromise between beam smoothness and throw?

Gryphon

Newly Enlightened
Kryosphinx said:
cmacclel, I'll try one of those Litho123's then. thanks

PlayboyJoeShmoe, let me know how that deep reflector works on your ROP. I just wanna make sure mine's not an anomoly.

Man, all these reflectors cost lots of $$... Yeesh!

I also have the deep 2" FM reflector in a 2c ROP/LE and I know what you're talking about (read your other post with the beam shots). It's more like a flood light with a hot spot. Any focusing beyond that looks like a stock reflector.

I was able to rig up a Strion bulb and it has a much tighter beam, better hot spot. Seems like these reflectors are designed for small bi-pin bulbs rather than the ROP bulbs.

Delvance

Enlightened
Ask around and you might actually be able to find some metal reflectors that are the exact shape/design of the stock M@g reflector. I have two of 'em in LOP finish...and yeah they do give a good beam but they also lose a fair bit of light out the back due to the large size opening...(compared to my super small opening reflectors). All my reflectors so far, have been from FM.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I only have two "small hole" reflectors. One older Carley 1940 SMO, and One MOP from Jonathan.

The MOP floats my boat with a stock M*gcharger bulb on 6AA. Before that it was the 1940 with a frosted MC. The 1940 is unused just now...

The deal is on! I will be testing a deep reflector/bezel! As I see it now, it will go on my M*g85 and my LOP will stay on the ROP HI.

I will test some stuff however...