Best thrower for $120?.

toolpig1

Enlightened
These serious throwers being discussed are special purpose lights, ie "one trick ponies". I'm wondering if you're really looking for a strong thrower that also provides enough spill to make it a solid multi-purpose light, something you can use a lot. I just got a Streamlight Stinger led HP and I'm very impressed with it. As I've posted under its review thread, the HP isn't an appropriate light to find a toy that the cat batted under the refrigerator, but should prove to be a favorite for longer range tasks.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Kramer, very interesting info. Thanks. Was the Tiablo A10's beam narrower than the DBS's with a smooth reflector and was the spill noticeably less? I am intrigued as a DBS 2 R2 owner.

I didn't really spend much time evaluating the non aspheric DBS in detail (beam profiles and the likes). There were so many lights there, it was literally, "OK is the tree at 200 yards brighter or dimmer". Comparing the two in ~20 seconds back and forth. But at least in that amount of time, the A10 appeared to illuminate that tree brighter off in the far distance.

Its important too to keep in mind exactly how these products were evaluated. We'd sight the target at ~200M, in this case a tree off in the distance poking its top up over some suburban rooftops 3-4 blocks away (at least). The target was illuminated by one light at a time. Focusing ones own vision strictly on the target, under which light does the target appear brightest, A/B/C comparing. Under those conditions the DBS/aspheric combo was a clear cut LED (non DIY) winner.

Last edited: