Best Thrower: Surefire G2 Drop-in

Gunner12

Flashaholic
To post pictures, you first mount the picture on a site like image shack, and then use the picture tool (
insertimage.gif
) to post a pic.

The G2L has an Al head for heat dissipation.

gregman

Newly Enlightened
I hope I'm not in violation of topic (best thrower), but have one more note about heat. Yes, nitrolon does not conduct as well as aluminum, I agree.
I ran my G3 again, this time for 50 minutes. It did get hotter. I measured 98 degrees at the point where the module contacts the body. It was 93 on the body.
Those measurements are surface temps. I unscrewed the head and measured 108 degrees on the surface of the brass while it was running! It was too hot to hold in my hand without tossing around, but not scorching hot.
The body is not all plastic, it has a stainless tube which helps conduct heat away from the head.
I measured everything with a mechanical type refrigeration thermometer that was calibrated in boiling water to 212 degrees at 40 feet above sea level.
Nitrolon is not as good as aluminum for conducting heat but it's also not going to melt from a little heat. Done.

dougie

Enlightened
Thermal dynamics is a science which as a layman I don't pretend to understand other than in a rudimentary way. However, I do know that LED manufacturers specify maximum temperatures for their products to ensure that the LED will perform as anticpated before MTF.

Given that Gene Malkoff has designed his modules to work within those parameters he specifically states that the M60 modules shouldn't be used in a Nitrolon bezeled G2 for longer than 15 minutes to prevent damage to the LED. He makes and supplies M60L's which can be used for prolonged periods without thermal degredation occuring and which the brass module can deal with. Comonsense suggests that somone who has made a business and reputation for dependable products wouldn't do so unless he knew what he was on about. The physical size of the brass heatsink used in the M series modules can only dissipate heat adequately if it can contact a larger surface area of a material which conducts heat effectively. Unfortunately Nitrolon isn't that material. :twothumbs