Bicycle commute + Road Rage....?? HELP?

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You're under the horribly mistaken idea that we can somehow make a perfectly safe society if only we made enough laws, and everyone obeyed those laws without question.
Sorry, I missed that until greenlight mentioned it was a good post. (Thanks.)

So: No. You are under the horribly mistaken idea that I care that much about you breaking your local laws (quite apart from the normal common sense and safety aspects). :shakehead Can you remember what I was really concerned about? :ohgeez:

:sigh:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
So: No. You are under the horribly mistaken idea that I care that much about you breaking your local laws (quite apart from the normal common sense and safety aspects). :shakehead Can you remember what I was really concerned about? :ohgeez:
I absolutely remember what you were concerned about-namely that you thought I was violating this rule: "You agree, through your use of this BB, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly illegal or promotes illegal activity."

Here's the definition of promote (source):

1. to encourage the progress or success of: all attempts to promote a lasting ceasefire have failed
2. to raise to a higher rank or position
3. to encourage the sale of (a product) by advertising
4. to work for: he actively promoted reform [Latin promovere to push onwards]

Obviously 2 through 4 are not applicable in this context so you're saying I encouraged the progress or success of going through red lights solely by posting my own experiences. Sorry, but what I did was not promoting in any sense of the word. Promoting illegal activity by the definition of promote doesn't solely mean saying you do something illegal. Rather, in order to encourage the success or progress of others to do the same illegal thing you would have to not only post that you did it, but also your methods to avoid getting caught. After all, everybody knows they can run red lights or speed, but it's the chance of getting caught which keeps people from blatantly disobeying such rules whenever they want to. However, if someone starts posting a near surefire way to avoid getting caught doing these things, or evading your taxes, or robbing banks, then they are most definitely promoting illegal activity, and that is something I would personally never do. Just saying that you do something is not promoting it, especially on a board like this where people largely make up their own minds, not mindlessly do what others do. I didn't yet see one post by anyone stating they were going to start running red lights just because I sometimes do. Evidently if I'm promoting this then I'm not very successful at it. There are plenty of others here who casually mention they occasionally break this law or that law. For example, there are loads of posts in the auto related threads with people saying they drive at speeds over the limit. By your definition every single one of these posts violates the rules.

Just to make you happy I'll refrain from posting further in this thread only about rules of the road I break while cycling. I said what needed to be said. I'd rather spend my time writing letters to legislators so that the laws in my city can be changed to better reflect the reality of urban cycling in the ways I've discussed. I'm also glad this thread has remained relatively civil.

Last edited:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
What you did wrong was that you were on a bike and she was in a car and as such, you are a turd. Not worth being on the road. That's how they see you. In europe and the rest of the world, things are different because we have so many bicycles there but not here in the US.

Same thing with scooters and small MC's

Bottom line is, she's an idiot and you had YOUR alloted space and do NOT need to move for her. You are considered a vehicle but she would NOT do this to a car.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to make you happy I'll refrain from posting further in this thread only about rules of the road I break while cycling. ... I'd rather spend my time writing letters to legislators so that the laws in my city can be changed to better reflect the reality of urban cycling in the ways I've discussed.
Cool on both counts. Thank you.

The pic of the drunk Mexican driver was on the front page of this morning's NZ Herald (our biggest newspaper), but it was cropped so it didn't show the patrol car on the right. If it's not a silly question, why is it on the other side of the road instead of in front of the riders?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Since it was a race, the highway to the left of the pic was likely filled with bike racers with the accompanying patrol car driving in the wrong lane on their left shoulder. Drunken driver wakes up, sees the cop car straight ahead, veers left, smack into the pack. JHMO.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The photo caption in this morning's paper said he "was drunk and fell asleep at the wheel." The angle of the car might indicate he woke up at the last instant, or just that he was weaving all over the road. Don't know.

A PO'd driver in Australia lost it: he passed 50 bikes, then jammed on his brakes: a bunch of riders piled into the car, injuring many and damaging a lot of bikes. A tractor-trailer behind the pack had to jam on the binders and narrowly missed the pack. The cops are looking for the driver.

Furious driver takes out 50-strong cycle pack
http://www.smh.com.au/news/beijing2...acks-cycle-pack/2008/05/08/1210131112608.html

Driver may have been in the wrong, but bicyclists are partially negligent in traffic code if you're int he states.

Pile ups don't happen if each car kept adequate following distance and if you run into someone in front of you that stopped, you failed to maintain control if your vehicle. If a bunch of bike piled into him, not just the very front one the driver cut off, the rest in the line didn't maintain adequate following distance.