BLF GT94 vs HID. LED has surpassed HID in my opinion.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Re: BLF GT94 vs HID. LED has finallly surpassed HID in my opinion.

Only if the Dems. are able to "Pack the Court". This is after all a very "Hot Potato" political issue, its a form of systemic optical racism.
HID is trying to hold LED down in a subservient role.

I chuckled. Because 2020.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

I chuckled. Because 2020.
I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

WOW and I chuckled too, 3 words and a year.
Maybe your shortest post ever.

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened

Who knows, perhaps my company will be the one to accomplish a comparable performing LED to a high quality "military grade" HID.
A unit with a few hours of "turbo" continuous run time without any performance or life degradation and ~10,000 Lumens, and not burn your hands or damage the LED's

What about filling the lens area with coolant liquid & pumping it to a radiator? Liquid directly on the top of the LED. Better than air (which gets hot behind the lens).

lumen aeternum

Enlightened

With "Murphy's Law" being considered, reliability will be an issue with that approach and failure will occur at the most inopportune time.

A lens design with 2 LEDs, only one of which is powered at any given time. So just flip the switch to the backup.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened

As for the HID bulbs they usually last about 2000-3000 hours before total failure and almost without exception give plenty of warning (many hours).
The ultimate failure is due to the arc gap (gap between electrodes) getting too large due to erosion over time. The ballast has programmed voltage limits during steady state (warmed up)....

So it should be possible to inspect them with an optical device that measures the gap, and a chart showing remaining life along with an output curve, so the user knows about how many hours are left until the brightness falls below his acceptable level?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened

Only if the LED favoring Dems. are able to "Pack the Court". This is after all a very "Hot Potato" political issue, its a form of systemic photonic racism.
HID is trying to hold LED down in a subservient role.

ALL flashlights are inherently racist, because only the elite could afford artificial lighting, and it has kept the proletariat in the dark for centuries. ;)

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast

A shame you are ruining a good thread with constant scorn and negative views. Maybe you'd be better served going off and building a light to better this and proving how it is done if it bothers you so much.

This comment made me chuckle. Since Xeray stayed humble in his response I'll just welcome you to google (or any of your preferred search engines) Xevision HID xenon technology. He is not giving negative views he is presenting facts.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

What about filling the lens area with coolant liquid & pumping it to a radiator? Liquid directly on the top of the LED. Better than air (which gets hot behind the lens).
Forced liquid cooling in a portable device requires appreciable power, mass, and volume for questionable returns. Also, LEDs generate heat almost wholly on the thermal slug mounted to their backside, thus the added complexities of flooding the airspace between the reflector and lens buys you almost nothing.

A lens design with 2 LEDs, only one of which is powered at any given time. So just flip the switch to the backup.
This is not workable for long-throw devices and impractical for more flood-oriented devices. A New York reload is more practical if it you absolutely positively require a working device 100% of the time - especially with something as generally reliable as a LED system.

So it should be possible to inspect them with an optical device that measures the gap, and a chart showing remaining life along with an output curve, so the user knows about how many hours are left until the brightness falls below his acceptable level?
A light meter and a chart should suffice for the truly discerning user; otherwise a maintenance schedule ought suffice if failure components are reasonably user-serviceable.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

Forced liquid cooling in a portable device requires appreciable power, mass, and volume for questionable returns. Also, LEDs generate heat almost wholly on the thermal slug mounted to their backside, thus the added complexities of flooding the airspace between the reflector and lens buys you almost nothing.

It seems that somewhere they discussed semi-liquid cooling due to heat pipe

Heat_Pipe_Mechanism.svg

In principle, for a powerful LED, this may be enough if make a lot of pipes and a large radiator. I had a SF Dominator, but it very quickly reduced the brightness due to the operation of the protection against overheating of the diode. If it had heat pipes, it could run at a high level for much longer.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

It seems that somewhere they discussed semi-liquid cooling due to heat pipe

Heat_Pipe_Mechanism.svg

In principle, for a powerful LED, this may be enough if make a lot of pipes and a large radiator. I had a SF Dominator, but it very quickly reduced the brightness due to the operation of the protection against overheating of the diode. If it had heat pipes, it could run at a high level for much longer.

In isolation, heat pipes are passive liquid cooling and do have potential to move heat away from the source faster than heatsinks alone. But effective implementation with heat pipes is apt to be a bit cumbersome for most portable designs since they benefit greatly from forced airflow over large radiating surfaces.

Magio

Enlightened

As an owner of a '94, and most of the other "super" LED, they're not in the same league as the top-o-the heap HID, certainly not for throw, runtime, or temperature limits. One need only take out a Xemax, Lemax, maxa beam, etc. to clearly see it's comparing Yugo to Ferrari. They are not toys, and are priced accordingly.
I cant believe you actually own all the "super" LED flashlights out there and then claim something as false as "they're not in the same league as the top-o-the heap HID, certainly not for throw..." Thats just plain wrong with no if, ands, or buts about it. There are literally hundreds of threads on this forum and others with overrwhelming proof that LED is just as capable of producing spectacular throw as HID is. Also its interesting that you use the Yugo to Ferrari analogy. A better analogy would be how the Honda Civic Type R beats many Ferrari, Lamborghini, and Porsches around the Nurburgring while costing only a fraction of what they do.

Those temps tell you nothing of the heatsink to Junction transfer efficiency nor the Junction temperature or long term durability, Often of little concern to Chinese manufacturers.

8 lbs is a ridiculous amount of weight. 4 to 5 lbs, should really be considered a maximum including the battery.

This post indicates how little research you have actually done into the GT94. Although the GT94 was manufactured by Lumintop, it was not designed by them. It designed by very knowledgeable forum members right here in the US.

Also its funny you say 8lbs is ridiculous when one of the very lights you build or had a hand in building, the LX70 Superpower, weighs more than that. You claim you are not biased but its really obvious to see.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also its funny you say 8 lbs is ridiculous when one of the very lights you build or had a hand in building, the LX70 Superpower, weighs more than that. You claim you are not biased but its really obvious to see.

If you knew much about the truth from reading many of the threads here, I never encouraged people to purchase that item. Many well informed here in this thread, can confirm that fact. It's heavy, bulky, impractical and not well balanced. I have discouraged people from buying the super power version. The Normal LX70 is under 5 lbs. I have only EVER sold I believe 2 or possibly 3 with a Super-Power head, all in the last 2 years, only because they insisted to buy it. We had nothing to do with it's large head development and discouraged it from the very beginning as impractical for serious field use. Flashaholics are often an exception in these considerations, "WOW factors" change the priorities and evaluations of "useful", significantly practical is often not one of them as is evidenced by your proposals too..

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

If you knew much about the truth from reading many of the threads here, I never encouraged people to purchase that item, many well informed, here in this thread can confirm that fact. It's heavy impractical and not well balanced. I have discouraged people from buying the super power version. The Normal LX70 is under 5 lbs. I have only EVER sold I believe 2 or possibly 3 with a SuperPower head. All in the last 2 years, only because they insisted to buy it. We had nothing to do with it's large head development and discouraged it from the very beginning as impractical for serious field use.

Not that Dan (XeRay) needs defending, but as a long standing member of this forum, and having read hundreds of his posts over decades, and having researched & purchased his products, although it may seem to you that he is being "challenging," in reality he is extremely dedicated to people being well informed and factual.

There are so many threads/posts where people make well intended assertions and don't have as much education, experience, or well-rounded views as some of the experts on this forum. Without question, Dan is one of those experts in the areas being discussed here. LED heat issues are crucial, and valid measurements need to be done as close to the diode as possible, not from outside the light.

I have not read any of Dan's posts in this thread as saying anything other than what he knows as facts at the current level of technology. I recommend that you engage with him to learn what he knows, rather than dismiss his expertise as being jaded. Of course, it's up to you!

Magio

Enlightened

Not that Dan (XeRay) needs defending, but as a long standing member of this forum, and having read hundreds of his posts over decades, and having researched & purchased his products, although it may seem to you that he is being "challenging," in reality he is extremely dedicated to people being well informed and factual.

There are so many threads/posts where people make well intended assertions and don't have as much education, experience, or well-rounded views as some of the experts on this forum. Without question, Dan is one of those experts in the areas being discussed here. LED heat issues are crucial, and valid measurements need to be done as close to the diode as possible, not from outside the light.

I have not read any of Dan's posts in this thread as saying anything other than what he knows as facts at the current level of technology. I recommend that you engage with him to learn what he knows, rather than dismiss his expertise as being jaded. Of course, it's up to you!

There's definitely bias in most of his post. I would be willing to believe what he says if he provides at least even a small amount of proof that this light and other lights mentioned do not meet the performance levels that the manufacturer claims and many people have tested them at. Generalized statements about the technology not being there are not sufficient. Show proof that the GT94 cannot maintain a brightness level equal to that of HID for an extended period of time without over heating and damaging the components, and exactly what the temperature is. Also show proof that the MF05 modified by Vihn for continuous turbo cannot throw as far as the top performing HID lights while having nearly the same amount of lumens.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

There's definitely bias in most of his post. I would be willing to believe what he says if he provides at least even a small amount of proof that this light and other lights mentioned do not meet the performance levels that the manufacturer claims and many people have tested them at. Generalized statements about the technology not being there are not sufficient. Show proof that the GT94 cannot maintain a brightness level equal to that of HID for an extended period of time without over heating and damaging the components, and exactly what the temperature is. Also show proof that the MF05 modified by Vihn for continuous turbo cannot throw as far as the top performing HID lights while having nearly the same amount of lumens.

Any human claiming they are free of any bias is an absolute liar or a self deceived fool, that includes you, since its fair to assume you are human.
I'd say the burden of proof is on you not others, you are the one making the claims in the HID forum that this product has surpassed HID in YOUR OPINION.
If you made those claims in the LED forum side only, I would likely just not even comment, over there you are to a great extent, "just singing to the choir".
I haven't seen you retract your claim regarding 8 lb lights and promotion of the Super-Power.

Last edited:

Magio

Enlightened

Any human claiming they are free of any bias is an absolute liar or a self deceived fool, that includes you, since its fair to assume you are human.
Ive never claimed not to be biased, but I will say I don't have a financial investment in any technology or company, or any association with anyone in the industry that would pull me in any particular direction. I love HID and Ive been looking long and hard at getting one of Xevision's or Lemax's products, in particular the Superpower, but I dont have the money at the moment. Yall build a great product and if and when I get the money I'll probably be in touch with you to order something. I've also had the Maxabeam and played around with the Nighthunter one. I have a 1000watt HID project I was working on but never finished. And I still currently own 2 HID lights and countless HID bulbs and ballast including the DL50-Fat boy bulb that I need to do something with. Whatever bias I may have has nothing to do with what I posted here though. When I walk outside at night and click the GT94 into high or turbo, I sure can see a lot more with it than I can with my FF4. Thats not bias.

I'd say the burden of proof is on you not others, you are the one making the claims in the HID forum that this product has surpassed HID in YOUR OPINION.
I don't know what you have been reading but I have posted as much proof in this thread as I can to support my opinion, short of destroying my light and attaching a thermocouple onto the PCB to measure junction temperature. I'm not going to do that just to win a debate on the internet. The beamshots, the ceiling bounce test, the thermal images showing the heatsink temp, the specs of the copper MCPCB are all facts that support my opinion. And not only have I provided what I could, there are many other people on this forum and on other forums who have come to the same conclusion based on their own individual testing that they have also posted. When all that information is referenced here though it is flatly denied and not a single bit of proof given except a general "technology is not there yet" which is a good as useless. Back up your claims that this light can't perform at the level advertised with proof or you might as well not say anything at all. The other guy who posted in this thread, @Rasher, stated LED can't throw as far as HID. I mean where yall getting this stuff from? Back that up with some hard proof.

I haven't seen you retract your claim regarding 8 lb lights and promotion of the Super-Power.
Explain this thread. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...ision-ULTRA-80-85W-Super-head-mod-SIGN-UP-NOW .

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast

Because of this thread, I have had to cut out the plain oatmeal and tofu that I have been living on. I am living on plain popcorn only until this thread comes to resolution.

Rasher

Enlightened

This post indicates how little research you have actually done into the GT94. Although the GT94 was manufactured by Lumintop, it was not designed by them. It designed by very knowledgeable forum members right here in the US.
Ah yes, the same cadre of numnuts that created the disaster known as anduril... Carry on.

Latest posts