Boat underwater LED

Seevee

Newly Enlightened
Need LED light, with one AA battery and dome top

All,

(Forgive me as this is my second post, however, for the lift of me can't find the original post to edit... gone)

I'm looking for a single AA powered LED flashlight or torch that has a reflective top to be used for canoing and kayaking at night, visible 360 degrees. Also, a switch on the side is perfect.

The light below is perfect. Except, I made the top out of plastic, and cut a groove on the lathe to fit the top of the light in. A bit of a pain, which I'd rather avoid.

Also, I can't find the light pictured below, anywhere anymore. Advanced Auto used to have them but not any more. All the lights I see now have a switch on the bottom, hard to put on a pole.

Any thoughts?

Seevee

PS: How do I subscribe to this thread, or located it again by search? Thx.

Lights2Web.jpg

Last edited:

Norm

Retired Administrator
Re: Need LED light, with one AA battery and dome top

All,

(Forgive me as this is my second post, however, for the lift of me can't find the original post to edit... gone)

Seevee

PS: How do I subscribe to this thread, or located it again by search? Thx.

To see all you posts click on your user name next to your post, in the left column you will see "Find Latest Post" click and all your post will be shown.

I have merged your original thread for you.

Cheers Norm

Seevee

Newly Enlightened

To see all you posts click on your user name next to your post, in the left column you will see "Find Latest Post" click and all your post will be shown.

I have merged your original thread for you.

Cheers Norm

Norm,

Thanks, however, the transom light and the kayak light are two totally different applications, and perhaps separate posts, and the titles are different, too.

I did, however, post twice about the kayak light, just can't find the first post. And still can't. I believe it's just gone.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Some lights have a diffuser attachment that sticks up and gives a lantern like illumination.

There are some AA lights with a switch on the side. Zebralight has some of the smallest 1 AA lights, but the head isn't meant for a stick up diffuser. Fenix's E25 uses 2 AAs and has a side switch. If you don't mind twisties, you could also use those.
What size would you like? Output? Modes? Runtime? Number of batteries?

I'm assuming this will mostly be used to show where you are, so a lower output with lots of runtime would be preferred?

:welcome:

tekguy

Newly Enlightened

Xeno TW15 E03/S3A Diffuser Wand

Link Deleted as per the banner at the top of the page - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Seevee

Newly Enlightened

Some lights have a diffuser attachment that sticks up and gives a lantern like illumination.

There are some AA lights with a switch on the side. Zebralight has some of the smallest 1 AA lights, but the head isn't meant for a stick up diffuser. Fenix's E25 uses 2 AAs and has a side switch. If you don't mind twisties, you could also use those.
What size would you like? Output? Modes? Runtime? Number of batteries?

I'm assuming this will mostly be used to show where you are, so a lower output with lots of runtime would be preferred?

:welcome:

Gunner,

The goal is an inexpensive light with ONE AA battery and some sort of diffuser on top, like the first picture, or the Xeno diffuser wand that Tekguy posted.
Cost is a big consideration, as I'll give a bunch of these out, so I want to be in the $4 range for everything. Quality is not so important, as if one fails, just dump it and put another up.

The current light in the first post is perfect $2 at Advanced auto, but aren't available. The diffuser is ok, but home made and would rather not do the labor but not hard.

Yes, a twist on/off would probably work. The push button in back doesn't work well with the light stuck on a pole, but could cut a hole for that.

Thanks for the replies.

Seevee

Gunner12

Flashaholic

$4 per light with diffuser could be a hard target to hit. Some diffusers cost more then that.

There are 1 AA lights at under $2 on eBay as well, and they sometimes come in packs. Maybe you can get cheap diffusers in packs as well?

A simple printing paper tube could also work, use wax paper of you are worried about water.

Seevee

Newly Enlightened

$4 per light with diffuser could be a hard target to hit. Some diffusers cost more then that.

There are 1 AA lights at under $2 on eBay as well, and they sometimes come in packs. Maybe you can get cheap diffusers in packs as well?

A simple printing paper tube could also work, use wax paper of you are worried about water.

Gunner,

Good points. I may just end up making my own diffuser. However, the wax paper thing could be a really cheap solution, but feel the plastic thing is probably a bit better. I'm paying about $2 per diffuser, cutting them myself.

Gunner12

Flashaholic

Will these be underwater? Many of the cheap lights are only splash proof.

I'm not sure if there are any cheap AA indicator lights that could work better, and not need a separate diffuser.

Maybe a white foam material could work? Like a foam tube or a foam cap?

Seevee

Newly Enlightened

Will these be underwater? Many of the cheap lights are only splash proof.

I'm not sure if there are any cheap AA indicator lights that could work better, and not need a separate diffuser.

Maybe a white foam material could work? Like a foam tube or a foam cap?

Gunner,

Not underwater, but an occasional splash or two, but not the norm.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would move the post to the budget section 4$ all in would get you a battery if you are lucky on this section.