Brightest single AA torch? Preferably with more flood than throw.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Not looking for the big larry type lights but more the olight s1baton style but with a single AA battery...what are the best of the bunch?

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not looking for the big larry type lights but more the olight s1baton style but with a single AA battery...what are the best of the bunch?
It really depends on many things here:

1. Why must it be the 'brightest AA torch''??

When you buy a car, does it have to be the fastest or most powerful?

What I'm getting at is, what is your intended use? As matching it to this will likely result in a better answer than just the current ranking highest number.

2. You cited the Olight, have you actually considered it? If so, what is wrong (or right with it)? As in, why are you still looking, what features do you need extra?

3. Budget?

4. Are you looking at non Li-ion power or is it an option? There is a Li-ion battery known as a 14500, it is almost identical in size to a regular AA battery. But these have 4.2v vs 1.5v for a normal AA. So a lot more power potential. Most of the highest output lights in this class will be using Li-ion. But if you don't want to use it, then your choices might be very different. It's also important, be not all AA lights will work on a 14500, and not all 14500 lights will work with AA's and some will be heavily biased to working a lot better with one battery type over another.

5. Best is also highly subjective. So expect as many different answers as you get replies :)

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
It really depends on many things here:

1. Why must it be the 'brightest AA torch''??

When you buy a car, does it have to be the fastest or most powerful?

What I'm getting at is, what is your intended use? As matching it to this will likely result in a better answer than just the current ranking highest number.

2. You cited the Olight, have you actually considered it? If so, what is wrong (or right with it)? As in, why are you still looking, what features do you need extra?

3. Budget?

4. Are you looking at non Li-ion power or is it an option? There is a Li-ion battery known as a 14500, it is almost identical in size to a regular AA battery. But these have 4.2v vs 1.5v for a normal AA. So a lot more power potential. Most of the highest output lights in this class will be using Li-ion. But if you don't want to use it, then your choices might be very different. It's also important, be not all AA lights will work on a 14500, and not all 14500 lights will work with AA's and some will be heavily biased to working a lot better with one battery type over another.

5. Best is also highly subjective. So expect as many different answers as you get replies :)
I will level with you...I like my torches...but since coming on this forum I have "gone a bit silly" to quote my wife and have pretty much allocated spending of £100s on numerous items I have seen on this forum and yootoob that even I am noe starting to think is a little silly....soooo I am going to delete the app for a couple of months (coming back again in time for father christmas) to stop me having to wear a bib from all the drooling. In the meantime to see me through the cold turkey I was a couple of new toys to cope...the thrunite tn4a being one.... In the new year I will upgrade my batteries and move away from aa and aaas....but for now that is what I am using so....in answer to your questions (though probably not), I have a big 4 aa torch coming, i have many single and double aaa lights...what i dont have is a single aa, so when I say brightest and best what I mean is what has the longest throw or the biggest flood? I would like something inbetween the led lenser p7 which is great and the thrunite ti3 (which still astonishes me how bright it is).

My name is D1ck, and I have a problem...

Poppy

Flashaholic
Dear D1ck with a problem,
My nicest single AA light is an Eagletac D25A Ti.

I run mine on 14500 LiIon, but it will also run nicely on AA duraloops/eneloops.

Stainless and Ti lights look nice for years.
After you live with your problem for a while, you may develop a preference of tint for different applications.
You might want to start giving that some thought.
The ET comes in different emitters, that will change the beam pattern, and in different color temperatures/tints.

Enjoy the journey :)

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
Dear D1ck with a problem,
My nicest single AA light is an Eagletac D25A Ti.

I run mine on 14500 LiIon, but it will also run nicely on AA duraloops/eneloops.

Stainless and Ti lights look nice for years.
After you live with your problem for a while, you may develop a preference of tint for different applications.
You might want to start giving that some thought.
The ET comes in different emitters, that will change the beam pattern, and in different color temperatures/tints.

Enjoy the journey :)
Thanks Poppy I will have a look

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will level with you...I like my torches...but since coming on this forum I have "gone a bit silly" to quote my wife and have pretty much allocated spending of £100s on numerous items I have seen on this forum and yootoob that even I am noe starting to think is a little silly....soooo I am going to delete the app for a couple of months (coming back again in time for father christmas) to stop me having to wear a bib from all the drooling. In the meantime to see me through the cold turkey I was a couple of new toys to cope...the thrunite tn4a being one.... In the new year I will upgrade my batteries and move away from aa and aaas....but for now that is what I am using so....in answer to your questions (though probably not), I have a big 4 aa torch coming, i have many single and double aaa lights...what i dont have is a single aa, so when I say brightest and best what I mean is what has the longest throw or the biggest flood? I would like something inbetween the led lenser p7 which is great and the thrunite ti3 (which still astonishes me how bright it is).

My name is D1ck, and I have a problem...

The only issue with 1AA lights is, the performance is usually a bit "meh" from an AA. They usually need a 14500 to wake the light up. But if you say you aren't going Li-ion yet, then its worth noting this.

For what it's worth, I've just pre-ordered a 'ThruNite T10T XP-L'. And should be shipping EU pretty soon. It's a nice little Titanium light for under $30, Thrunite have them on special if you buy direct from them. Sadly I can't post a link, as CPF doesn't allow links in this forum (tip: don't post in this forum when looking for a light ;) ).

It isn't the brightest, but seems to have pretty good performance for AA powered. Plus it's small and shiny and importantly can be ordered with a Neutral white emitter.

If the highest lumens is really what you are after, then a Zegbralight is probably what you want. They are pretty unique and use a special boost driver to get quite unbelievable output levels from an AA. But they do come with a hefty price tag.....

I've recently bought a Klarus Mi7 as there is a group buy price on them. It's quite a nice little light with a few short comings. Only Cool white and no pocket clip. It works on an AA, but works so much better on a 14500. It uses an XP-L HI emitter and throws well for it's size and has a monster of a spill beam area.

Going slightly off tangent....

I've also recently bought a JetBeam II Pro. It also uses an XP-L HI and addresses some of the short comings of the Mi7. I actually prefer it and it is noticeable smaller too. Although has a narrower spill beam.

But it's not an AA light. It runs on a CR123a or a Li-ion 16430 (RCR123). I use it on the latter. It's not what you are asking for, but might be worth considering if you are wanting a tiny light. CR123a's are pretty cheap to buy off ebay and the like, even if you aren't wanting to make the jump to Li-ion yet.

KeepingItLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have settled in on neutral tint and high CRI for my small flashlights. Given the large number of good flashlights out there, there is no reason to accept anything that does not have high CRI.

Fortunately, there is a plenitude of choices. The Eagletac that Poppy mentioned is highly regarded. I have the less expensive L3 Illumination L11C Nichia 219B. It is perhaps not as durable as the Eagletac models, but I like my four-mode version just fine. At 0.09, 3, 30, and 140 lumens, its mode spacing is outstanding.

More than once, I have been tempted to pull the trigger on a ZebraLight SC5Fd. It uses the Cree XM-L2 EasyWhite emitter. Typical CRI is 83-85 (Ra); Nominal CCT is 5000K. Frankly, I prefer CRI (Ra) in the 90s.

The upcoming ZebraLight SC600Fd Mk. III Plus uses an 18650 battery, so it does not fit your spec. Nevertheless, this compact flashlight is only a bit larger than many 1xAA models. It combines the high output a Cree XHP50 emitter (1500 lumens) with high CRI (93-95 Ra) and neutral tint (5000K).

On paper, it looks great. Along with the ZebraLight SC600 Mk. III HI, this could be the best ZebraLight ever. I am waiting to see, however, whether reviewers think the production models live up to the expectations.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
The only issue with 1AA lights is, the performance is usually a bit "meh" from an AA. They usually need a 14500 to wake the light up. But if you say you aren't going Li-ion yet, then its worth noting this.

For what it's worth, I've just pre-ordered a 'ThruNite T10T XP-L'. And should be shipping EU pretty soon. It's a nice little Titanium light for under $30, Thrunite have them on special if you buy direct from them. Sadly I can't post a link, as CPF doesn't allow links in this forum (tip: don't post in this forum when looking for a light ;) ).

It isn't the brightest, but seems to have pretty good performance for AA powered. Plus it's small and shiny and importantly can be ordered with a Neutral white emitter.

If the highest lumens is really what you are after, then a Zegbralight is probably what you want. They are pretty unique and use a special boost driver to get quite unbelievable output levels from an AA. But they do come with a hefty price tag.....

I've recently bought a Klarus Mi7 as there is a group buy price on them. It's quite a nice little light with a few short comings. Only Cool white and no pocket clip. It works on an AA, but works so much better on a 14500. It uses an XP-L HI emitter and throws well for it's size and has a monster of a spill beam area.

Going slightly off tangent....

I've also recently bought a JetBeam II Pro. It also uses an XP-L HI and addresses some of the short comings of the Mi7. I actually prefer it and it is noticeable smaller too. Although has a narrower spill beam.

But it's not an AA light. It runs on a CR123a or a Li-ion 16430 (RCR123). I use it on the latter. It's not what you are asking for, but might be worth considering if you are wanting a tiny light. CR123a's are pretty cheap to buy off ebay and the like, even if you aren't wanting to make the jump to Li-ion yet.
The general consensus is upgrade from thw piddly little aa and aaas...I will....stop tempting me now....haha. I was v v tempted by the klarus (lets be honest most of this forum is tempting me) so perhaps that and the tn4a will suffice until santa comes....

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
I have settled in on neutral tint and high CRI for my small flashlights. Given the large number of good flashlights out there, there is no reason to accept anything that does not have high CRI.

Fortunately, there is a plenitude of choices. The Eagletac that Poppy mentioned is highly regarded. I have the less expensive L3 Illumination L11C Nichia 219B. It is perhaps not as durable as the Eagletac models, but I like my four-mode version just fine. At 0.09, 3, 30, and 140 lumens, its mode spacing is outstanding.

More than once, I have been tempted to pull the trigger on a ZebraLight SC5Fd. It uses the Cree XM-L2 EasyWhite emitter. Typical CRI is 83-85 (Ra); Nominal CCT is 5000K. Frankly, I prefer CRI (Ra) in the 90s.

The upcoming ZebraLight SC600Fd Mk. III Plus uses an 18650 battery, so it does not fit your spec. Nevertheless, this compact flashlight is only a bit larger than many 1xAA models. It combines the high output a Cree XHP50 emitter (1500 lumens) with high CRI (93-95 Ra) and neutral tint (5000K).

On paper, it looks great. Along with the ZebraLight SC600 Mk. III HI, this could be the best ZebraLight ever. I am waiting to see, however, whether reviewers think the production models live up to the expectations.
I have read and seen brilliant things of zebralight and I think I may see how this new one pans out and if all happy I will take the plunge. I feel very much behind the curve in these forums and tbh cannot see me reaching the upper echelons of making a torch...but am loving all the drooling at others lights and the fact other people enjoy torches/flashlights. Thanks for the input

tops2

Enlightened
There's also the new Olight S1A for the baton style you mentioned. There's option to run nimh or Li-ion. There's also the Zebralight SC52w but it's probably wider than what you're looking for since you mentioned baton style. The SC5w is awesome, but really big.

blindedbythenight

Enlightened
There's also the new Olight S1A for the baton style you mentioned. There's option to run nimh or Li-ion. There's also the Zebralight SC52w but it's probably wider than what you're looking for since you mentioned baton style. The SC5w is awesome, but really big.
The olight puts me off a little as it seems a bit piddly with nimh and you need the li-ion to get a decent output. The zebralight is my next planned purchase [emoji2]