Busting a myth! KL3... my impressions.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
On a 3 cell aluminum body, it would probably look and feel much better. As is, it's just a bit clunky for the amount of light.

I am actually carrying the G2 you provided as a G2 P60. The KL3 is on my G2 body here on my desk.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the emitter were changed out with an R2H, SWOJ, or SXOJ, you might think differently. You would get an ever-so-slightly less runtime, but the output would be much nicer. It's an inexpensive mod if someone were to do it for you.

symes

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PlayboyJoeShmoe said:
I shudder to think of going to Haiti!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly though, more and more people are feeling that way and it is such that hope among the people begins to diminish. Perhaps we can keep some of that alive if they keep seeing people coming down to help.

Folks in Haiti are dying in the 10s to 100s a day. Mostly though, this is from malnutrition and preventable disease - less are actually getting shot than on the streets of North Carolina, but those don't make the international press.

Hopefully we can make some difference in the hospital there and in any mobile clinics that we can run up in the 'field' (literally) in the mountains and see hundreds of patients a day. We might not be able to cure all their ills, but the fact that we came might just keep their hope alive.

Haiti is full of weapons of mass destruction - poverty, illness and strife and they are all easily found.

Thanks for the good wishes...

Simon

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
WATCH YOUR BACK!!!

The general populace may think you are great. But I see pics of some scary looking dudes with BadAss rifles that I'll just bet ya ain't your good buddies!

Be careful! KNOW that I and many others will be praying to keep you safe!

symes

Enlightened
Thanks Joe, knowing you're supported by prayer is one of the most powerful things in these kind of trips...

We've a few places to go through that are looking a bit hairy right now, but most of the trouble is still up in the North. The problem is the armed gangs of thugs that, as normal, won't look before they open fire. We'll be unarmed but should be able to move quickly to avoid trouble...

Worst part will be crossing through Port au Prince entering and leaving...

thanks again for your prayers... I leave Feb 29th...

Simon

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Playboy,

Were you looking to have your KL3 modded? If I understand correctly, you want to maintain the stock current, but upgrade the lux. This sounds pretty easy to me. On the KL3, getting to the circuit is the hard part. Just replacing the LED is easier than it is on a KL1.

A word of advise though. And I am speaking from experience. If you want to stay with the stock current, go with a 1W LED. I have VERY few Q3J's left and I think another is about to be claimed. The Q3J should do very nicely at the stock current, especially in situations involving complete or near complete darkness. You won't loose any runtime either. If fact, you may gain some.

PM me if you are interested and we can discuss options, such as possible overdrive, optics/reflectors and LEDs.

BTW, you may also want to check with CM. He's the guy that got me started and you won't find a better modder. He's more anal than I am about the details. (I meant that in a good way. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) CM may have more optics options available than I do. I'm fresh out of Fraens and ordering 1 isn't worth the shipping.

Let me know if I can help.