Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My! (II)

bykfixer

Flashaholic
@bykfixer We used to have a tupperware "stick of butter holder" that one would use to butter his/her corn. I haven't seen it in a couple of years, so I just pick up the butter while it is still wrapped in the waxed paper.

IMG_3810.jpeg

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Tuna steaks tonight.
IMG_3889.jpeg

They were on sale $5.99/lb

Sprinkle Old Bay and fresh cracked pepper while crispy crowns were in the oven.

Melt a quarter stick of butter in a skillet. While butter melts place drops of lemon jiuce to be soaking in. Skillet is ready and heat cranked up to medium high.

Place each steak onto the melted butter seasoned side down. Place drops of lemon juice over Old Bay and cracked black pepper. Let cook about 5 minutes. Flip and let it cook another few minutes.

Pick them up and angle pan in a way to pool remaining melted butter. Set steaks in the puddle while taking crispy crowns from the oven.

Put steaks onto plates and pour the now jelling butter over the steaks. Add crispy crowns to the plate.

Enjoy.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Were you hungry an hour later?

The year before covid I was eating foods that were metabolism friendly and man o man I stayed hungry. Things like grilled chicken breast, chards with baby spinach, mixed together, breakfast was a boiled egg and turkey sausage links with orange juice. Lunch would be rolled up slices of turkey breast with a slice of cheese in the center and some pretzels. I'd eat breads and cereals in moderation with meals at times and I could see a difference in the way my clothes fit week after week. But the more of those foods I ate the more hungry I got. Man I was tearin up some groceries!

Covid hit, grocery store shelves were stripped bare like Soviet Russia and I went back to my old ways. I did stick with the light breakfast though.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Hungry an hour later? No. Pasta is a complex carbohydrate. It maintains a saity level fairly long.
That salad was in a serving bowl, it wasn't my portion. ;)

The foods that you were eating, chicken breast, eggs, turkey sausage, are proteins, are slow to digest and maintain a relatively long saity level. I suspect that if you were continually hungry, it had more to do with your mindset (one of being on a diet), or that due to being on a diet, you ate smaller portions.

Switching to fruits and vegetables, will more likely make one want to eat more often, because of the fewer calories they contain. That's why after consuming "Chinese take out" (lots of high fiber, naked veggies) one is hungry an hour later.

Grains will put on the pounds.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
went to the asain grcoery store last week omg they had to have 30 types of soy sauce and so many pretty women, i bought a 8 pound jar of sircha style sauce and much butuane fuel for camping 4 cases of it lol

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im not even joking 4 cases of butane and 8 pounds of china hotsauce if you buy the good safe butane localy here its like 5 bucks a bottle if you can even find the safe stuff with the saflty vent go to a asain store and ya can find it for like 1.25 a can. and well the hot sauce is so yummy lol omg i even put it on well everything

Poppy

Flashaholic
Looks great chance!
Boy o boy, does that grill look well seasoned.
Makes me want to get out and make some sausage peppers and onions. Maybe Friday. It's predicted to be 66F.

I think I'll try roasting the peppers to get a little smokey flavor before throwing them in a pan with the sausage, and then add a little wine. Hmmm, port, or marsella? I think port.

Looks great chance!
Boy o boy, does that grill look well seasoned.
It sure was, Poppy. :drool: We've had the replacement Grill Grates for a few years. They're well worth the investment.
Makes me want to get out and make some sausage peppers and onions. Maybe Friday. It's predicted to be 66F.
I think I'll try roasting the peppers to get a little smokey flavor before throwing them in a pan with the sausage, and then add a little wine. Hmmm, port, or marsella? I think port.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Poppy's version of beef stroganoff.
Ground beef, chopped onion and garlic, fried in butter, seasoned with salt and pepper.
A heaping tablespoon of flour to make a rue.
Add some pasta water to loosen things up a bit, and deglaze the pan.
Finally add 4-8 ounces of Port Wine, let it simmer a few minutes, and stir in some sour cream.

Most recipes call for white wine. Mixed with sour cream the sauce is whiter, and prettier. I prefer the taste of the Port wine, so it is not as pretty, but IMO more satisfying. Most recipes also call for mushrooms, but since my daughter is allergic to them, I don't have them in the house.

1710501044524.png

Poppy

Flashaholic
While in Costco yesterday I bought this package of Buffalo Chicken Mac and Cheese.
It is refrigerated kept, not frozen, and cooks in 9 minutes in the micro, or 20-22 minutes in a 350 oven. I went the traditional oven method.

1710586174884.png

1710586196280.png

I'm not a huge fan of Buffalo and this was spiced just right for me. My daughter commented that it had too much sauce, and too much cheese. I agree that the shredded chicken got lost in the sauce, but I like lots of cheese in my mac and cheese.

She thought that it would be good for a side dish, but not a meal. I'd enjoy it either way. I think I'll buy this again. At $14.99 it is reasonably priced for 5 - 6 servings of big side dishes, or three meals.

It reminded me of the smoked mac and cheese that my son made.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I'm Irish but can't drink that dark beer lol it's feels like grit is in it to me lol