Butter and Bread and Sandwiches Oh My! (II)

Poppy

Flashaholic
@Poppy did you stay long enough for them to offer hospital fud?
Anything sealed in containers like Jello is safe (-;

Poppy, can you get us a photo of cute nurse spoon feeding you

@knucklegary They moved my start time around a couple of times. The last was at noon, I was going to go in at 12:30. So at that time they gave me a dose of tylenol, and celebrex and a muscle relaxer. I lied there watching tv and fell asleep. I woke up two hours later, and looked at the clock, and didn't know what to think! Was I done?

I felt my thigh, and the side of my butt for bandages... none?

They took me in about 3:00 and I woke up in recovery at around 6:00.

Dinner was meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and 1 cm cubed carrots.
It was OK. The potatoes were the best part of the meal. I think if I had a second slice of the meatloaf, I might have barfed, but I was hungry enough that the first slice tasted pretty good.

Breakfast was scrambled eggs, a slice of orange, and an eighth of a strawberry. Orange juice, cup of fruit, and coffee. They might have been dried eggs.

Lunch, panko crusted cod fish, green beans, and plain white rice.
Bland bland bland.

I was home at 4:30 the following day. The day after surgery.

I had leftover chicken casserole for last night's dinner. LOL.. what a delight!

The nurses were over worked due to staffing shortages, and they didn't have time to pamper me, so no pictures :(

Poppy, Nothing will get you up and at um like one of these -

68480054339__258452D4-F4F7-4830-A9D0-479361694D9A.jpeg

68479968109__283886D2-CFB7-4AF6-95F9-BB2738EC0113.fullsizerender.jpeg

The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner and I decided to go for a drive and enjoy a Caryl's Jr. drive-through burger yesterday. They were delicious but a bit pricey, $18.68 for two.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Poppy, Nothing will get you up and at um like one of these -

View attachment 32016

View attachment 32017

The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner and I decided to go for a drive and enjoy a Caryl's Jr. drive-through burger yesterday. They were delicious but a bit pricey, $18.68 for two.
In my neck of the woods lots of people are buying their meals at burger joints because it costs less in some cases than buying it at a store and making it at home.

Last evening I cooked up a couple of 4oz slices of salmon fillets in butter on the stove top in a shallow teflon coated grilled cheese sandwich pan. Well, smart balance margarine but it does a nice job of tasting like butter and doesn't burn like butter. The store sells a 12 oz bag of salmon fillets and there's 3 per bag so I figure 12/3=4, or close enough.

The idea with smart balance was it would make for a better non-stick agent than butter also. I suppose it's all those poly-this and psuedo-that in it but it works.

On the side was Bush's baked beans straight out of the can and orange juice to drink. The whole thing was so ugly I opted not to take a picture, but it was cheap, nutritious and filled the void.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like salmon a lot. After a while chicken is hard to put down.
I like white fish, too.
I have to cook fish outside. I cook it inside the house and the wife goes ballistic over the lingering smell.
She's a snob and won't eat fish that smells like fish.
We go redfishing and speckled trout fishing throughout the year and she's spoiled to those fish.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
During Fall/Winter months, when can't open up house, we use a small hibachi grill placed on a outdoor table.
Wild Salmon is the best and healthiest to eat. Halibut is next for flavor and texture, imo
When camping trout is everyone's fav, except for all those tiny bones can be PIA

bykfixer

Flashaholic
One year I crawled up the side of a steep, leaf covered hill, got ripped to shreds by briars, eaten alive by mosquitos, and sunburned all to catch little brown fish with a million billion tiny bones.....ah, the good ole days of brown trout fishing with a fly rod.

Canned salmon was poor mans food during my divorce days.
That stuff is fye dollas a can now. Yikes!

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
One year I crawled up the side of a steep, leaf covered hill, got ripped to shreds by briars, eaten alive by mosquitos, and sunburned all to catch little brown fish with a million billion tiny bones.....ah, the good ole days of brown trout fishing with a fly rod.

Canned salmon was poor mans food during my divorce days.
That stuff is fye dollas a can now. Yikes!

I used to eat abunch of canned fish...i hope I never have to again.
When I write meal plans for people they always say but i can't eat this. it's the same thing every day.
I'm like you won't or you don't want to?
My goto line is that you'll still be eating better than 70% on the planet.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I saw some stuff in the freezer that had been in there a few months and I thought would be so badly freezer-burned soon it wouldn't be fit to eat. I really don't like to throw away food.

2E457BBC-4B2E-4A55-980E-9F17E3C5B1A3.jpeg

Quick and tastey. Far from ideal for the waist line but all work and no play and all that.

Three hash browns left from a 12 pack cooked in a skim of canola oil. Two left from an 8 pack of chicken franks boiled and half slice of sliced cheddar on each one. Unsweetened apple sauce and red seedless grapes complete the meal and a 7.5oz can of ice cold Dr Pepper to drink.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
Last evening I cooked up a couple of 4oz slices of salmon fillets in butter ... The store sells a 12 oz bag of salmon fillets and there's 3 per bag so I figure 12/3=4, or close enough.

Occasionally, a nearby store has whole salmon fillets (one-half side of the fish) for $5. (Haven't seen that since once earlier in the year, this year. Bummer.) Makes 7-8 3oz cuts. At ~$0.70 per serving, it's hard to beat, when that deal comes around. It's frozen, but still. I can grill with butter and herbs, and add fresh veggies and fixin's for a salad, all for about $2/meal. Hard to beat. And, with the right herbs and light spices ... yum!

Speaking of Bush's Baked Beans, I occasionally do up a mid-sized can of the stuff. A local game meat butcher has the occasional $5/roll sausages they make. (Big, fat sausages.) Caught two-fer sale earlier in the year, and picked up a few of them. Sliced a couple of thin portions off the log, cut into small cubes, fried 'em until golden brown, then added the beans and sliced onions to cook. With a side salad, very filling and at least mostly nutritious. Again ... yum.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Thanks guys,
I'll discuss my hip in the bionic thread, because over here, that would be a bit off track.

Thursday, my sister came to spend some time with me and made dinner. Sorry no pictures.
She made cheese filled pasta, (tortellini) mixed in some fresh cut up tomatoes, fresh spinach, garlic, and olive oil. A quick and easy meal that was quite tasty.

Last night I made Brown sugar bourbon seasoned chicken, with a package of "Bird's Eye" brand of shredded - potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, and cauliflower florets.

If I can remember to NOT buy them again, I won't. The shredded part was more of the stalks, than of the florets. The best part was the butter, and knowing that I was getting a good amount of fiber. I ate what I cared to, and threw the rest away.

The chicken was good, but I went a little heavy on the spice. I scraped it off before giving the dog his share.

1663451062727.png

Poppy

Flashaholic
Last night I started making Eggplant Parmigiana. I plan to finish it tonight.

1663944540949.png

Eggplant above,
I like to add some thick slices of breaded VIdalia Onion. And here, I tried frying a sliced tomato. Maybe if I breaded it first that would have worked out better.

1663944662183.png

I didn't have any Ricotta cheese, and my shredded mozzarella started to look like blue cheese. So I went off to the store, and I'll add them tonight, after seasoning the ricotta with some garlic, salt, allspice, and nutmeg.

1663944863709.png

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Had the place to myself this afternoon and realized I had not thawed anything for dinner. Often that means hot dogs or salmon cakes. Nah.

Wait, I have that 5# bag of salmon filets, some baby carrots and brussel sprouts. Right on.

The 5# bag of salmon fillets was $15. At about 5oz each that means around 15 little pieces. So I whip out the square shallow teflon costed skillet (ie the grilled cheese pan), some smart balance buttery spread and some cracked pepper corn. Oh, and the steamer kit for those carrots and brussel sprouts. I steamed the carrots in water 5 minutes then introduced the brussel sprouts. Ten minutes later they were ready.

Meanwhile slow melt the buttery spread and crank up the heat under the skillet to 7 outta 10. Oh, the fillets had thawed after work in like 30 minutes. From the fridge I let them get back to room temperature. Crack some peppercorn on them and add to the now bubbling butter. After about 3 minutes flip and cook for 5 more. The steamed stuff was ready too.

198F41B2-511A-4012-A451-42FA54F27C72.jpeg

When done my belly was stuffed like I'd had a big ole steak and baked potato.
Spring water to drink in a ceramic lined cup.

Twenty red grapes and a quarter cup of sunflower seeds for dessert.

I do need to grab some lemon juice at the store this week for next time.

Poppy

Flashaholic
I've been doing a little cooking lately:
Here's a pic of the finished Eggplant Parm.

1665420575583.png

And now for some before and after pictures of Honey Coconut Chicken:
1665420646724.png

1665420665421.png

Anyone up for a couple of hot roast beef sandwiches?

Deli sliced roast beef heated in brown gravy. Takes about as much time to cook as it does to toast the bread.

1665420795687.png

Now this one turned out particularly good.
Baked Lasagna !

While the lasagna was boiling, I browned up 1.25 lbs 85% ground beef.
I added 1/2 of a large vadalia chopped onion, and a teaspoon of chopped garlic, some salt, and I think some Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning.

After it was all nice and browned, I added a jar of Prego "Roasted Garlic and Herbs" sauce.

I seasoned Ricotta cheese, with salt, garlic powder, and nutmeg.

I drained and cooled the lasagna noodles, and layered them in a lightly oiled pan, with layers of meat sauce, seasoned ricotta cheese, shredded mozzarella, and parmigiana cheese.

It was covered in foil, and baked at 375 for 30 minutes. Then for another five minutes with the foil off.

1665421534389.png

Last edited: