California Driver$--Be Careful...

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jay,

Thank you. Fixed. :ohgeez:

This whole speed limit thing... One of the reasons I love my GPS system. Set it up to show my actual speed to a 1/10 of a MPH.

In a way, I did get a ticket for going the "safe" speed limit once... In the old days of the "energy crisis", our interstates (which had 65-70 MPH speed limits for decades) were set back to 55 MPH for a few years to save fuel.

Yep, got a ticket for going 65 (on a down hill grade) on an almost deserted road (except for the officer with the radar gun) driving a 50 MPG diesel Rabbit pulled over by a cop car that probably got 12 mpg on a good day...

Oh well...

-Bill

Last edited:

tygger

Enlightened
Yep, got a ticket for going 65 (on a down hill grade) on an almost deserted road (except for the officer with the radar gun) driving a 50 MPG diesel Rabbit pulled over by a cop car that probably got 12 mpg on a good day...

Oh well...

-Bill

Even though it was a rattlebox, I loved that diesel rabbit! Talk about fuel economy.

n4zov

Newly Enlightened
Interestingly, law enforcement vehicles routinely come equipped with special "certified" speedometers that are guaranteed to be within 2 mph of actual vehicle speed. This a far cry from the accuracy of speedometers in vehicles available to the public. California's bid requirements for law enforcement vehicle speedometers state:

"4.20 Speedometer: The vehicle described in this specification will be used in law enforcement and speedometer accuracy is essential. The speedometer shall be calibrated and be accurate within two (2) miles per hour at speeds from 15 to 100 miles per hour of the true vehicle speed, within the environmental operating conditions specified in Section 1.0 Scope. The dial face shall be marked up to a minimum of 140 miles per hour. The design of the speedometer shall be such to insure accuracy throughout the life of the vehicle. The face markings shall be in increments no greater than two (2) miles per hour. The face shall contain the wording "Certified Speedometer," or other wording to indicate that speedometer accuracy is certified, or a letter of certification of accuracy shall be provided with each unit. The bidder shall specify the size, brand and model of tires for which the speedometer is certified. The speed indicator pointer shall not cover more than a two mile per hour section of the scale."

raythompson

Newly Enlightened
I've written speeding tickets where the driver was going slower than the posted speed limit, but was driving too fast for the conditions present.
That is a judgement citation where you are unable to qualify what the limits were that caused the infraction. Those are easily tossed out of court. Too fast for conditions will vary greatly by vehicle, condition of the vehicle, and capabilities of the vehicle. Those are nothing more than revenue generating citations.

axolotls

Enlightened
Out here, the city was forced to raise the speed limit on one stretch from 25MPH to 35MPH after being challenged by one pissed off motorist who got a ticket.

Reason, was the traffic study showed 95% of people drove 35MPH in the area.

EastCoco

Latest posts