Calling all TK41 users

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
Still haven't received any email response from Fenix about those malfunctioning switches - they usually are much faster than this to reply. I'll send that email again and report back.

Lanque

Newly Enlightened
Just an update,

My switch problem is extremely intermittent. Some times it will hardy work at all, a day later its a lot better.:shrug: Very irritating.

I have tried taking photos of the beam, but my camera does not accurate capture the tint. My camera sees green, I don't - one of us it wrong :duh2:

As far as my emitter, its not as bad at the one trooplewis has, but it does affect the beam slightly.

Here's mine:
tk41ledcrop.jpg

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure if the off-center emitter is affecting the beam. The hotspot is not clearly defined, but rather it melds into the corona.
And I do have switch problems, especially when powering off, In spite of the fact that I can hear/feel the "click", I have to push farther after it clicks to actually get it to shut off.

So the switch does work, it just has a premature "click".

recDNA

Flashaholic
I like the TK40 UI better. If you don't need the throw I'd stick with the TK40.

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
LOL, the throw is the reason you buy a Tk41. I can't think of any other reason that I would want to spend over a hundred bucks on one.

GSMGuy

Newly Enlightened
GSM, how was the centering of the emitter?

Ever so slightly off centre, but nowhere near as much as yours.. I get a nice tight hotspot, but it does bug me that it ain't dead centre.. Will try and post a pic when I have torch and camera in the same place!

Mike

torino

Newly Enlightened
it's the same with me a little off center

I dont know if I bring it back or not :thinking: but the light itself is good not perfect but good

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so far as the switch issues go, Fenix did get back to me on this issue. Essentially they said this really isn't frequent given that the large number of TK41 they've sold. On the occasional nature of the malfunction, they said that maybe the light played a trick on the users - I know what it is they meant and I don't think they meant any harm, but I'm not sure I liked that.

Lanque

Newly Enlightened
I think I see the logic. When I have to press an electronic switch so hard that my fingers hurt then I think the light HAS played a trick on me. /SARCASM

Yes, I know that the power switch actually activates on the release, not the press, but that is what makes the 'malfunction' all the more vexing. How hard to press before you release, and when it does not operate, you go into a pressing frenzy trying to switch the light off, then overshoot the off, and end up on again.

I would like to add that since the last episode a few days ago, mine has been behaving itself better, and light presses mostly do the job. I hope it stays that way, but do not trust it to.

Siliconti

Newly Enlightened
Well, mine is off center too, but not as badly as the above are. Beam looks OK to me. Knock on wood, my switch has behaved perfectly.

Fern

Newly Enlightened
To add to this discussion, I acquired a TK41 recently and have been very disappointed.

I experienced the malfunctioning switch issue almost immediately with the mode switch. Sometimes the switch would operate when pressed at certain angles or with great pressure but essentially it was unusable.

Strangely the problem disappeared after approximately a day of use and hopefully does not return. Not a good sign for a brand new non-budget light.

To me the worst aspect of this light is the atrocious beam profile.

It has a 'nice' dark donut for a hot spot surrounded by a very bright ring before transitioning into the corona/spill. This is very noticeable in real world usage and must certainly be detrimental to throw.

The effect cannot be observed at anything less than 5-6 meters when the hotspot looks normal but as range increases to typically 20 meters and greater it is very clear.

There are some flaws in the reflector too contributing various artifacts and lots of concentric rings. Fortunately this is not particularly noticeable in real world usage.

Other than this it seems like a sturdy, well built light, no battery carrier rattle etc, but the beam profile is a deal breaker for me. I am awaiting a response from Fenix.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
I'v been deciding between the TK41, 45 and 35 leaning towards the 41 but do the 45 and 35 have this many problems and controversy or irregular problems?

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't heard as many people complain about the 35 and 45, but I had the same problems with my TK45. I didn't have any problems for the first few months of owning it, but then I encountered them. They seem to have mostly gotten better though. It works almost every time I switch it on or off now, and I'm not really sure what changed to make it work better. Cleaning it did not make a difference immediately, but something over time did.

trooplewis

Newly Enlightened
In spite of the off-center emitter and an On/Off switch that requires a firm push, if they told me to send the light back and I'd get a refund I would still keep the light.
It's the chuckle factor that a member referred to in another thread that makes this light so fine. Turn it on, gasp at the throw and then chuckle, because it is so awesome.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'm glad you like your TK41. I must admit I am disappointed that Fenix no longer puts a premium on tint. Every light I bought from them over a year ago had perfect tint (white - not yellow, green, or blue). Jetbeam finds a way to put nicely tinted XM-L's in their BC40 for half the price (not that it has all the bells and whistles but it does have a nice tint).

sterling1989

Newly Enlightened
Switch

Just to add my two cents, I purchased a tk41 from amazon last week and it arrived Friday the 10th. I like the light very much. Then after almost 4 days of normal use (showing off) tonight the power switch stopped working most of the time. 9 out of 10 times it does nothing. Changed batteries, and cleaned the unit inside but nothing seems to help. This is not a problem I am willing to tolerate on a $130 flashlight.
Going to exchange it for another unit. If the replacement does it at all then I will get a refund and buy another brand.:mad:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Switch

Has anyone tried sanding the contacts inside the flashlight to see if that helps with the switching issues? I would try it with mine, but it's been working pretty well so I might as well leave it alone for now.

Napalm

Enlightened
The hotspot is not clearly defined, but rather it melds into the corona.

This would be a plus, as hotspots with sharp, well defined edges are not that nice.

But overall you guys scared me off completely, I had high hopes with this one, now I'm not so sure I want to order.....

Nap.