car comparisons... NEW PICS!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: car comparisons

NeonLights said:
They're completely different cars too. The Charger is a 4100 lb overweight 4-door only car that only comes with an automatic and starts at $30,000. Hardly a sports car by anyone's definition. The Mustang on the other hand, only comes in a 2-door model, lets you shift for yourself if you want, weighs a less portly 3500 lbs, and performs better (and starts at $5000 less). I like Dodges too (the Viper is the best handling car I've ever driven), but D-C really dropped the ball with all of their "Hemi" cars. They all weigh over 4000 lbs, they all are automatic only, and they are all four doors. My next new car will be a Mustang GT. Maybe the Challenger will give it some competition when it comes out in a few years.......maybe.

-Keith

Of course the Charger will weigh more, it is a 4 door. And of course it will be a little slower, it weighs 600lbs more.

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
mccavazos said:
1. Charger, Just love the looks and the power

I have driven the new F150, and its just too heavy, I cant even sqeul teh tires from off the line :thumbsdow . The Ram is really really nice

You are my new best friend :)

-David

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

cheapo said:
More horsepower and it towes 1000 lbs more! Thats twice the towing capacity.

Of course the Charger will weigh more, it is a 4 door. And of course it will be a little slower, it weighs 600lbs more.

-David

How many people buy a Mustang or Charger to tow with? More hp from more cubic inches isn't any great thing, they just went with a bigger engine.

Four door cars don't always weigh more than two door cars in the same size category. The bloated weight is due to poor engineering at D-C.

If you want to compare the $35,000 Charger SRT-8 to a $25,000 Mustang GT it seems rather unfair. Why don't you compare the $35k Charger SRT-8 (425 hp) to the $40k Shelby GT500 Mustang that makes 475 hp? They are close to the same weight, and closer in price. Oh yeah, and the Mustang is still faster :D

-Keith

Last edited:

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

bobisculous said:
A) Charger
B) Viper
C) Nissan Titan

finally someonw who has taste :) just messing with you guys

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast

NeonLights said:
How many people buy a Mustang or Charger to tow with? More hp from more cubic inches isn't any great thing, they just went with a bigger engine.

Four door cars don't always weigh more than two door cars in the same size category. The bloated weight is due to poor engineering at D-C.

If you want to compare the $35,000 Charger SRT-8 to a $25,000 Mustang GT it seems rather unfair. Why don't you compare the $35k Charger SRT-8 (425 hp) to the $40k Shelby GT500 Mustang that makes 475 hp? They are close to the same weight, and closer in price. Oh yeah, and the Mustang is still faster :D

-Keith

I dont think so, the weight is due to neing longer, and having four doors. Also, I think horsepower is more important than speed, because here in America, we have things called speed limits, so why do you need speed, unless you own a race track, live in Europe, or are an illegal street racer?

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
also, i dont think the GT 500 is out yet.

-David

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast

cheapo said:
I dont think so, the weight is due to neing longer, and having four doors. Also, I think horsepower is more important than speed, because here in America, we have things called speed limits, so why do you need speed, unless you own a race track, live in Europe, or are an illegal street racer?

-David

Using the flip side of your argument, why do you need more hp then if not to go fast? Why bring up hp as an argument if you think everyone should be concerned with the speed limits? Just to blast up to 65 mph and then slam on the brakes? Why do some cars have a top speed of 145 mph (the Charger R/T) if that is approximately double the top speed limits in the country? What good does having 425 hp do if you bring up speed limits? Just curious where your arguments are coming from??? Have you ever driven a car with 300 or 400 or 500 hp?

-Keith

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
quite frankly the answer is: getting up steep hills, and towing. Also, you said that the Mustang is faster than the Charger, and it has less HP. Then you said the Mustang GT 500 was faster... did you read that the GT 500 is faster than the SRT-8 or did you just conclude it because it has more HP?

-David

edison

Enlightened
cheapo said:
quite frankly the answer is: getting up steep hills, and towing........
Towing capacity.......with those cars? Are you serious?

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah... all cars have a towing capacity.

-David

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
quite frankly the answer is: getting up steep hills, and towing. Also, you said that the Mustang is faster than the Charger, and it has less HP. Then you said the Mustang GT 500 was faster... did you read that the GT 500 is faster than the SRT-8 or did you just conclude it because it has more HP?

-David

LMAO, I don't mean this as too much of a flame, but do you even have your license or own/drive a car? Some of your arguments are so off the wall, that I'm beginning to wonder if you have much, if any, experience with driving different cars. Go out and test drive some of the cars being talked about, it will open your eyes. In the last eight months I've driven a new Viper, C6 Corvette, Mustang GT (twice), Honda S2000, BMW 330, Mazda RX8, and a 2003 Mustang Mach 1. Actually getting behind the wheel and driving the cars is worth a hundred times more than any internet discussion, magazine review, or bench racing session.

It is only common sense that the GT500 Mustang will be faster than the SRT-8 Charger. The SRT-8 is only marginally faster than the regular Mustang GT, the GT500 has 175 more horsepower than the standard Mustang GT (and 50 more hp than the SRT-8) and the GT500 will still be lighter than the SRT-8 by 200-300 lbs, and the SRT-8 is still stuck with an auto tranny, while the GT500 has a manual transmission.

-Keith

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
NeonLights said:
LMAO, I don't mean this as too much of a flame, but do you even have your license or own/drive a car? Some of your arguments are so off the wall, that I'm beginning to wonder if you have much, if any, experience with driving different cars. Go out and test drive some of the cars being talked about, it will open your eyes. In the last eight months I've driven a new Viper, C6 Corvette, Mustang GT (twice), Honda S2000, BMW 330, Mazda RX8, and a 2003 Mustang Mach 1. Actually getting behind the wheel and driving the cars is worth a hundred times more than any internet discussion, magazine review, or bench racing session.

It is only common sense that the GT500 Mustang will be faster than the SRT-8 Charger. The SRT-8 is only marginally faster than the regular Mustang GT, the GT500 has 175 more horsepower than the standard Mustang GT (and 50 more hp than the SRT-8) and the GT500 will still be lighter than the SRT-8 by 200-300 lbs, and the SRT-8 is still stuck with an auto tranny, while the GT500 has a manual transmission.

-Keith

You are right, the Mustang will most likely be faster, but have you seen an article comparing the 2?

-David

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
You are right, the Mustang will most likely be faster, but have you seen an article comparing the 2?

-David

Actually I don't recall having even seen a full review of the Charger SRT-8 yet with acceleration numbers (and I subscribe to Car & Driver, MotorTrend, Road & Track, and Automobile magazines). You can get a good idea of the kind of numbers the Charger SRT-8 will put out though by looking at the results of tests done on the 300C SRT-8 and the Magnum SRT-8 since all three share the same engine, transmission, and are close to the same weight. C&D got 0-60 times of 4.7 and 5.1 seconds and 1/4 mile times of 13.2 and 13.6 seconds. The regular old Mustang GT got to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds and hit the 1/4 mile in 13.8 seconds. When C&D tested a pre-production GT500 they estimated 0-60mph in 4 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds.

If it wouldn't be for three things, I'd consider a Charger SRT-8 for my next car, but the three deal-breakers for me are:
Weight - over 4100 lbs is unacceptable for a car of its size
Transmission - auto only? I'm not that lazy, I like to shift for myself
Wheels - 20" wheels are for pimped out SUV's, 18" wheels would do just fine, more performance and less bling

-Keith

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
NeonLights said:
Actually I don't recall having even seen a full review of the Charger SRT-8 yet with acceleration numbers (and I subscribe to Car & Driver, MotorTrend, Road & Track, and Automobile magazines). You can get a good idea of the kind of numbers the Charger SRT-8 will put out though by looking at the results of tests done on the 300C SRT-8 and the Magnum SRT-8 since all three share the same engine, transmission, and are close to the same weight. C&D got 0-60 times of 4.7 and 5.1 seconds and 1/4 mile times of 13.2 and 13.6 seconds. The regular old Mustang GT got to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds and hit the 1/4 mile in 13.8 seconds. When C&D tested a pre-production GT500 they estimated 0-60mph in 4 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12.5 seconds.

If it wouldn't be for three things, I'd consider a Charger SRT-8 for my next car, but the three deal-breakers for me are:
Transmission - auto only? I'm not that lazy, I like to shift for myself
Wheels - 20" wheels are for pimped out SUV's, 18" wheels would do just fine, more performance and less bling

-Keith

I like the rims... the drive-flat tires are great too. Not to mention the electronic stability control. Its got a lot of options that the mustang doesnt, so you get what you paid for. Look here at the features:

Charger:

http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/3425.html

Mustang:

http://www.safercar.gov/NCAP/Cars/3490.html

-David

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
NeonLights said:

-Keith

I dont know where you got the weight from but look at the links I posted above.

0David

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
cheapo said:
I dont know where you got the weight from but look at the links I posted above.

0David

I get my weights from Car and Driver Magazine, among other sources. C&D actually weighs the cars they test, they don't used the manufacturer's published curb weights. The NHTSA website you linked to tested V6 models of both the Mustang and Charger, it is quite obvious, if you know what to look for (hint, look at the tire sizes). The V6 models of both cars weigh significantly less than their V8 counterparts, and the Charger SRT will weigh even more than the R/T because of the larger, heavier wheels, and other heavier items on the car. C&D weighed the Mustang GT at 3575 lbs, and the Charger R/T at 4141 lbs.

Have you ever driven a car with run-flat tires? They generally suck. They are heavier, the ride is worse, they are very expensive to replace, and in certain types of blow-outs, they don't "run-flat". You get stuck with no spare. Have you ever driven a car with traction control or some sort of ESC or DSC? That's one of the first things I turn off on a car when I get in. Nothing like driving a high-performance car, and then letting the car's computer decide what the limits are, not the driver. Take a driving school, and learn how to control the car, instead of letting it decide for you.

You get what you pay for, that's right. You pay $5000 more for two extra doors, 600 lbs more weight, worse handling, and worse acceleration (but you can tow 1000 lbs more! lmao)

-Keith