Car crash... Feeling Lucky?

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pic 1 and 2 are the same 10-45. S-10, Jeep G.C.

Pic 3 is a 90+ gentleman, driving in reverse, exeeding speed limit, getting stuck on a guy-wire of a telephone pole. You can still see him in the vehicle.
bluedead.gif

iddibhai

Enlightened
ah. btw, there doesn't appear to be an A pillar in the GC. shouldn't there be a high strength steel beam where the passenger side door meets the front windshield frame? or are those not yet required by law?

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should blow up the pic, you can see the A-post then.

A,B posts were cut, and roof roll was perfomed. Also the dash was pushed/pulled with relief cuts.

Jeep was easy. S-10 is on my top 3 hardest extrications list.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I crunched up a '95 Intrepid ES in '96.

I was sliding down a wet grass shallow ditch. (Dozed off - only time ever, and in daylight!) Would have been no problem except for the road sign post. I turned the wheel and gassed it trying to climb up out of the ditch... crunch!

The front fender and door skin were plastic. Broke pretty bad. The A Pillar and windshield took the worst of it before the post broke away.

It drove away!

Damn but I liked that car!

FC.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to patient's position and nature of injury, extensive damage to the vehicle, dash push or pull could not be perfomed.
Patient was pinned under the dash. You can see the top of the steering wheel above the dash.

fca4820b.jpg

James Van Artsdalen

Enlightened
Originally posted by FC.:
You are lucky that the fuel tank did not rapture. By the pics, it came pretty close...

Sorry for your car, glad that you are OK.

Do you guys want to see a pic of a bad one? Say 65mph+75mph head on?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">That was the first thing I noticed: the damage went right up to the fuel pipe area.

My worst fear isn't so much the high-speed impact scenario but being trapped by an 18-wheelet whose diesel tank ruptures. I still can't understand why they don't put the diesel tank in a central location away from collisions.

iddibhai

Enlightened
you mean why they dont put the tanks somewhere else on tractor trailers? nowhere else really... either engine under the driver or axles behind the driver. side is the only way to go. then again, those tanks looks pretty beefy to me, and are solid cylinders with welded(?) ends, no structural weaknesses. any side impacts would get pushed UNDER due to shape and strength. tha's my line of thought anyhow

Monsters_Inc

Banned
http://members.optushome.com.au/kallyn/item.jpg
http://members.optushome.com.au/kallyn/item2.jpg
http://members.optushome.com.au/kallyn/33.jpg

See if the above pic turns out. It was a brand new Ford Falcon (Australian specific model) with barely 300kms on the clock (180 miles). Est speed of impact 70km/h (44miles).

IMO, it shows extremely good structural integrity. The front door window is intact. Windscreen slight cracks. Didn't intrude into the passenger compartment, which is a fair sight compared to the Jeep vs S10 pics by FC.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the person about to hit you notices and slams on the breaks then it's almost always worse for their car than yours. I got rear ended in Wisconsin 2 or 3 years ago in my 95 Saturn (what a GREAT car, absolutely 0 maintenance in all that time, and my plastic door panels are still in great shape, no dings or scratches at all) Once they slam on the breaks their front end goes down and your bumpers don't match up anymore. My bumper went right through her grill and destroyed her radiator and her entire front end.

Her bumper went under mine and bent my muffler. So it now sticks down a few inches further than before. So I have scratches on my bumper and my muffler hangs a bit low and her car was almost totaled.

The problem was that I stopped at a red light, the reason she didn't see me stopped there was that there was a local news crew filming in the median and she, like everyone else was watching them. They saw her hit me, packed up their stuff and took off within seconds. It took the police an hour and a half to arrive since I told them that nobody was hurt. The lady at 911 dispatch actually told me that they were all in their weekly meeting. LOL Should have stopped to rob the bank across the street
wink.gif

rrtanton

Newly Enlightened
I was watching a special (PBS?) about big mega-crashes on highways, the 60-vehicle-pileup variety. A lot of research happens when those occur. Probably the worst problem is fire, and the worst causes of fire are the saddle tanks of 18-wheelers. They talked about that a bit, even showed some crash testing of a tractor that showed how those tanks are pretty easily torn off and/or ruptured, bouncing around pretty much anywhere. But they also explained iddibhai's point...there really isn't anyplace else to put them, short of some very drastic redesigns of tractors. They're just too bulky.

I think they said the greatest cause of such crashes was fog, followed by other weather circumstances where people drive too fast for the conditions. Interestingly, in fog, even if you're trying to drive slow you probably are going faster than you realize.

rusty

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only fog driving advice I've heard that makes any sense was that if you keep going keep your lights on so that you have a chance to be seen by the guy behind you. If you get off the road turn your lights off so that they guy behind you doesn't follow you off the road and hit you while you're parked.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Yeah, in fog (Esp. depending on how bad it is) you've just got to keep going! GO way slow and get rear-ended. Go to fast and rear-end somone.

Those Sweedish cars I love have rear fog lights. Look just like brake lights only brighter--so the guy behind you can stop in time.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too am glad your ok. Almost 2 yrs ago my little bro(11 now) was a passenger in a very bad car accident, he is now paralyzed from the chest down.To add to the mess the Xray tech actaully took the collor off w/o investigating further!:eek:and made him turn his head causing the C 3/4 to shift(not exactaly sure)and put pressure on the nerves which cused the paraylsis.

iddibhai

Enlightened
Saaby, the newer euro cars, even some olds (intrigue or the coupe looking thing) had it. problem is, foglamps are, by definition, meant for FOG, and people drive with them ALL the time. front fogs are bad enough, rear fogs under ideal visibility conditions are WORSE. high luminious flux from a small source = squinting eyes. heck they even wire them (in Jags and some MB at least) so the front AND rear fogs come on together.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Heh heh...yeah...

Most of them come to the US with only the right side rear fog enabled, however. I didn't show my sister where the switch was for the rear fogs and, except for occasionally using them for additional illumination when backing (I am a flashaholic you know...) I never drive around with them on when visibility is ideal.

iddibhai

Enlightened
ya know, they really should add a portion on proper light usage to the DMV test, beyond the "required to use headlamps 30 mins past dusk to 30 mins prior dawn" or whatever.

Saaby

Flashaholic
Yeah, like how many people actually know what the white backup lights are actually for. Or what it means when your blinkers either quit blinking or start blinking really fast. (I'm talking about the system used in most cars to indicate you have a blinker bulb out)

iddibhai

Enlightened
speaking of which (and i'm starting to pull this off topic sorry!), i've seen VERY few decent backup lights. i'm not sure if the purpose of the white backup light is to let the traffic behind you know you are backing up or to also light up what you are about to traverse--i hope they'd include lamps/reflectors nice enough to put a decent amount of light down on the ground and light up stuff behind you to see what's there. almost all the cars i've driven have piddly lamps that are more cosmetic than useful. form over function too often
frown.gif