Citizen 3.5W 245 Lumen LED

*Retired*
Citizen has developed a white LED source that produces 245 lm at 70 lm/W

Japan's Citizen Announces Lower Heat 70 Lumens/Watt White LED
Scott McMahan, News Editor
June 21, 2005...Citizen Electronics Co. of Tokyo, Japan has added to the white LED race with a bright new contender. It boasts an efficiency on par with florescent lights, according to an article appearing in Nikkei Net Interactive. The CL-L100 has a 3.5-watt output. What makes it noteworthy is its brightness of 245 lumens and an efficiency that they claim is 70 lm/W.
3.5W 245 Lumen LED

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there anybody here a SeconPage member of this wensite to tell us more (just an abstract)
Is it the Citizen watch company?

chimo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting, these will not be small. The link above states that they will be using an array of 24 blue Nichia chips.

Quickly doing the math that's about 145mW per chip. If the Vf per chip is 3.6V that puts it at about 40mA per chip. Kind of like a bundle of 24 of the new ArcAAAs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

awoli

Newly Enlightened
I think it can not be used in the flashlight.Because it is too long and big.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The "Automotive" application could sure make a Highly Efficient Lantern /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

the 245 Lumen "Reading" light could also be a good thing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Area Lighting... etc etc... there are soo many applications for a light ...

SemiMan

Banned
Well I was impressed till I read that it was 24 die in a package. Achieving high efficiency with a small die is a lot easier. I would also expect that the color temperature is quite high in order to achieve the really high efficiency with currently available Nichia die technology. I wonder how hot the die are allowed to get? The lamp they show has quite the large heat sink on the back.

I can't see this being used to much for automotive bulb applications. It is too far from being a point source which just like flashlights would make it hard to control at least in a projection style lamp which is where the automotive styles are going.

Stil... the efficiencies keep getting up there. If we could only get rid of that heat, I could start replacing them bulbs..... I would kill for a high efficiency chandelier replacement that is dimmable.

Semiman