Comments from non-flashoholics that really annoy you.

Gareth&Zoe Wildcamps

Newly Enlightened
"why do you need so many torches"........"complete waste of money"........"whats the point?"....the usual sort of flack you'd expect. It's one of those things that many do not realise the benefit of until you've used a nice torch/flashlight extensively.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
My response "MeGeyver carries a flashlight".
Usual comeback is something like "that guy could fix anything" or similar so they walk away thinking I'm brilliant instead of weird.

Last edited:

Lumen83

Enlightened
1. Why do you carry a flashlight?

2. I don't need a flashlight, I have my cell phone.

Those two. 100%. Also, I will add:

"Why on earth would you pay that much for a flashlight?"

Keitho

Enlightened
Some version of, "you're a light expert, how many lumens does your light have?" It comes from the same people who buy cameras based on megapixels, guns based on muzzle energy, computers based on clock speed, monitors based on nits, etc.

There are also a lot of versions of, "you're an expert, what is the best flashlight?" It comes from people who would not consider asking "what is the best automobile" or "what is the best shoe," but somehow think that there is a "best" of flashlights.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
1. Why do you carry a flashlight?

Don't remember seeing it recently, but someone has a signature that handles this question very well. It goes something like this:

Them: Why do you carry a flashlight?
Me: Would you carry an umbrella if there's a 50% chance of rain tonight?
Them: Yeah.
Me: Well, there's 100% chance of dark tonight.

Always makes me smile.

--flatline

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Along with this goes the

"I can buy 10 flashlights at Walmart for what one of those cost, so why would you buy that"

So people just don't understand that I want quality I can trust when I need it, These are usually the same people that have their own "I wouldn't spend X on that piece of junk. I'd rather spend more to get a quality one"

Just explain to them they'll have to carry all 10 for the same amount of reliability.

I'm still waiting for the day a non-flashaholic sez to me, "is that a flashlight in your pocket or are you just glad to see me?"

Burgess

Flashaholic
Interesting thread here.

lovecpf

Along the same lines is:

Why do you have a CAMERA ?
I just use my Cellphone !
:confused:

- and -

Why do you have a COMPUTER ?
I just use my Cellphone !
:thinking:
_

Nichia!

Banned
Them

Why do you carry a flashlight?

Me

It's not your business.

ScubaSnyder

Enlightened
Why do you need so many flashlights? You really only need one

Me: There all different! Even if they look the same there are different emitters(over there head need explination)

Nothing really. :)

It's taken nine years (slow-learner) but I've finally lowered my expectations of the non-illuminated. As a matter of fact, I recently relocated my collection to a room that's not normally visited by company.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I will not hide my aspirations toward flashlight from any one. Please move those lights back, and hande it. Enjoy your lights so all can see them, even those who think you are a wonk for having them. My best friends make fun of my passion, and it does not affect those friendships.

Bill

Skaaphaas

Enlightened
"What do you mean you have different flashlights? They're all the same, a little tube you hold in your hand and light comes out the one end."

Yeah. The bluish-purple, amoeba-shaped blob your dollar-store light throws somewhere in the vicinity of where you are pointing it doesn't quite do it for my eyes.

ScubaSnyder

Enlightened
Nothing really. :)

It's taken nine years (slow-learner) but I've finally lowered my expectations of the non-illuminated. As a matter of fact, I recently relocated my collection to a room that's not normally visited by company.

I did the same thing, mine are all kept out of site, only my family and close friends know of my addiction lol

I will not hide my aspirations toward flashlight from any one. Please move those lights back, and hande it. Enjoy your lights so all can see them, even those who think you are a wonk for having them. My best friends make fun of my passion, and it does not affect those friendships.

Bill

It's not so much that they're being hidden. It was just time for a change. Honestly, 95% of our company didn't say a word one way or another. :confused: That's what led me to discontinue my expectations. The Illumine-less just don't care.

I did the same thing, mine are all kept out of site, only my family and close friends know of my addiction lol

I'll never stop trying to enlighten people to the wisdom of EDC. Nor will I hide my love of flashlights under a bushel.

The Lovely Mrs. Gardiner and I are both enjoying having all the collection in one place. Well, almost all of them. There's still another 40 upstairs waiting to make the journey.

This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine.
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine,
This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine,
let it shine, let it shine, let it shine.
Hide it under a bushel - NO!
I'm gonna let it shine.
[FONT=DDG_ProximaNova]
[/FONT]
YiWzYcH.jpg

kuzuna

Newly Enlightened
"I don't have a flashlight, I have my phone."

Not because of the obvious, but because if these people didn't have a phone with flashlight functionality, they would have nothing and then they would just say "you don't need a flashlight anyway." Having a phone with a light built-in gives them an excuse, when previously they would have had no excuse.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Only thing my friends and family say about mine is "that must take a while to dust".
I tell them "nah, I collect dust too, check this out dust from hurricane Irene, and over here dust from when the Eagles were super bowl champs, or here's some dust I collected the year Trump was elected"……

Locki

Newly Enlightened
I've gotta comment on some of these;
"1. Why do you carry a flashlight? That's weird. Hey, can I borrow that for a minute?"
I worked for an architecture firm, I had a boss a while back give me crap for the flash light I carried. Gives me crap 20 min into an on site measurement, he goes to go into the basement, light switch doesn't work. "Hay give me you flash light." I wanted to just push him down the stairs but the client was standing right there. All I did was call him a slinky. He ask me later at the office what I meant by calling him a slinky. I told him "Some people are as useless as a slinky but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."
"2. I don't need a flashlight, I have my cell phone"
Not so much a flash light comment here but related. Was at a buddies party way out in the sticks, dark as all hell. My buddy saw that I had my camera and asked me to take pictures of his band while they played. Told him I wasn't really set up for low light photography but I'd give it a shot. Anyways he's playing and I'm getting surprisingly good pictures with my new lens. 28mm prime lens on a D300s Nikon. Some women walks up to me holding her cell phone. "My pictures aren't turning out are you having any luck." After shaking my head I told her that her phone had a sensor the size of a pin head, my camera had one the size of a postage stamp. That lens cost more then her cell phone.
"5. I just bought this light for $5 at the gas station. It's rated for 10,000 lumens."
Oddly enough I've had a few friends that by those lights or the infomercial "but you can drive over it with a Humvee" lights. After playing with my lights and the one night we lost power at the curling club and I stuck my light against the glass and illuminated the whole facility so everyone could get off the ice. My friends have learned about good quality flash lights and are buying ones that are more expensive then ones I own. I've converted a bunch of people away from cheap lights to good ones. The only real gripe I have with "lights" is games where my key-chain light is brighter, or there isn't any duct tape in the whole universe to mount a light on a gun. Give you fantasy so whatever.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I've been reading this thread for a week, trying to think of something meaningful to contribute, but the issue just doesn't come up.

I do get annoyed when people, who are dumber than a rock, tell Stupid Polish jokes. They for the most part are probably as Chaunce would say... un-illuminated.

Chauncey,
That's a nice collection you have there. :)

I have enjoyed some of the comments in this thread and really started laughing when I read the last couple of comments...

Bykfixer,
LOL... dust collection!? That's hillarious! :)

And Locki, I have to remember this one!
I've gotta comment on some of these; I worked for an architecture firm, I had a boss a while back give me crap for the flash light I carried. Gives me crap 20 min into an on site measurement, he goes to go into the basement, light switch doesn't work. "Hay give me you flash light." I wanted to just push him down the stairs but the client was standing right there. All I did was call him a slinky. He ask me later at the office what I meant by calling him a slinky. I told him "Some people are as useless as a slinky but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs."

Regarding flashlights, a few years ago, during a night time power outage, I grabbed a handful of flashlights and went to five different neighbors houses to check on them and to offer them lights if they needed them. At one house they had a candle, and a couple of half dead flashlights. The adult daughter was on her phone with the power company representative, with her cell phone flashlight app running. I offered her a light and her response was... "No thanks, I'm good." My thought was... "How stupid."