Corona Virus... the second wave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
They're talking about forcing a cough for the microphone. Apparently there's something different in the spectral distribution of the sound of the cough that can be picked up by A/I.
Still sounds fishy, a common cold or allergies could cause a cough also.

Poppy

Flashaholic
PhotonWrangler,
Thanks so much for that link.

IMO, I think that more people will comply with "executive orders" if they become educated on the topic, IE they are informed WHY certain decisions are made. IE The science behind the decision.

I took this from the link you posted:
"Environmental engineers like me quantify how much outside air is getting into a building using a measure called the air exchange rate. This number quantifies the number of times the air inside a building gets replaced with air from outside in an hour.

While the exact rate depends on the number of people and size of the room, most experts consider roughly six air changes an hour to be good for a 10-foot-by-10-foot room with three to four people in it. In a pandemic this should be higher, with one study from 2016 suggesting that an exchange rate of nine times per hour reduced the spread of SARS, MERS and H1N1 in a Hong Kong hospital."

That means that ALL of the air in a 10' x 10' room with 3-4 people in it, should be flushed/replaced with fresh outside air every 10 minutes. If you have a Thanks giving dinner and 6-8 people are sitting around the dining table, you should replace the air in the room every 5 minutes! Just pushing it around with fans does nothing.

According to this article and the one posted by ChaunceyGardiner, if you can't get enough fresh, replacement air, then you have to filter it. If you have a ceiling fan, you should set it to draw air upwards, or better yet, turn it OFF.
Using this calculator
https://www.industrialfansdirect.com/pages/exhaust-fan-cfm-calculator
I entered 10x10x8 sized room and clear it in 5 minutes:
The result is 176 CFM is needed to do the job

I entered 12x14x8 sized room and clear it in 5 minutes:
The result is 296 CFM to do the job.

It appears that the capacity of a popular ducted range hood is about 190 CFM.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'm sure restaurants are a big spreader. Around here you go in and everyone is sitting back to back in a booth. Maybe 2', not 6'. In the bar area people are sitting shoulder to shoulder.

Are restaurants just rolling the dice they get away with it? Don't care? It's bizarre.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
There are systems available for providing residential fresh air, while capturing and returning a large percentage of heat, but they're expensive.

I happen to own an air-to-air heat exchanger, however it's integral to my car thus I can't really put those CFMs of heat exchange to work.

Device in the video looks to hope to average the temperatures between intake and exhaust. The humidity transfer suggests some controlled permeability which also makes one wonder about the service life of the core material. Retrofitting an existing closed-loop HVAC system would be a non-trivial expense and engineering effort since the ratio of exchange would likely need to vary.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I watched a video of a celebration atmosphere and 8 folks passed around a bottle of bubbly. Each would pull down their mask, take a swig put their mask back up and pass it to the next person who would pull down their mask and do the same.

I scratched my head pondering if they really do not understand how viruses spread or what.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I watched a video of a celebration atmosphere and 8 folks passed around a bottle of bubbly. Each would pull down their mask, take a swig put their mask back up and pass it to the next person who would pull down their mask and do the same.

I scratched my head pondering if they really do not understand how viruses spread or what.

And it looks like the end of that Notre Dame game might become a superspreader event.

I might do a similar celebration when the time comes, but only with some Wild Turkey 101. :grin2:

turbodog

Flashaholic
few quick updates:

1. regarding vaccine order. nothing yet, but the low temp freezers are waiting.
2. our ICU deficit continues to grow. more than one large hospital in the capital area has c-19 waiting to xfer to icu. apparently they slap a mask on the patient and leave them in the ER for now. some/all of the ER rooms a negative pressure.
3. numbers (and the rate of increase) continue to climb... stuff's about the hit the fan. hospital I prefer to use is in c-19 icu deficit and is instructing ambulances to call ahead and see if ANY patient can be accepted.

Poppy

Flashaholic
A couple more devices, one has a humidity control device. The video also shows the heat retainment numbers.

FWIW -

With a quick search, it seems that the small residential units will do 75 to 150 CFM. I imagine that commercial units can do a lot more. And a lot more will be necessary for more densely populated establishments such as restaurants.

I'm thinking that the guidelines laid down for in-door activities, such as dining etc. should take into account the rate of air exchange. Indoor capacity can be increased with a higher air exchange. It seems that a simple 25% capacity is arbitrary.

Units like these can help a business to increase it's air exchange rate, while not seeing its heating and cooling costs skyrocket, although they will still go up. Certainly there would have to be an incentive for a business to spend the initial funds for purchase and installation, and the ongoing costs of exchanging heated, or cooled air for outside air.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
On the way to work a lady on the radio who works for a pharmecudical company was giving updates on the vaccine(s) telling of how 150k people using the Pfeizer one and 60k the Johnson and Johnson one are progressing and the good news is both trials are showing great signs thus far. She spoke of the typical patient shows significant decline in antibodies a few weeks after recovering from the virus so there will likely be a booster shot in a few weeks after the first one for best results. She was using the hepititis B shot in the 1980's as an example stating in 2020 the shot for that is much better after advances in technology and knowledge in general has taken place.

For now this is amazing news. The biggest obstacle for mass distribution at this point besides time to see the results is the -80 degree storage temperature neccessary for doses. She said some places will be able to handle that but "your local doctor" probably won't. I took that to mean companies like CVS, Rite Aid etc will probably be the sources for the shots.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.