Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
What did I wake up to... talking about eating batteries to replenish core nutrients? Lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Despite the amount of time and effort put into the post, and the presumed accuracy of information, I'm sure (hope) it was tongue in cheek... :nana: :aaa:

Poppy

Flashaholic
This morning I took advantage of the "seniors only" shopping hour.
There were only half as many shoppers today than there were five days ago, and although there were still bare spots, bleach, paper towels, and TP.
But fresh fruits, and vegetables were pretty fully stocked. Plenty of milk, and most dairy products. Eggs were back, and here are the meat units.

RiY2SvCtRyGQ90EEBTMO2XGwyA-u_Mfslw82qMG_LSaNJBx2FIBgby0m441FcTNWw_Em0E_4WoygBo9lNOwCVj-JEzpScvJ8_lhz0rJWMoF0-wmQY_JHj1_A4C4MFgwytU-b0cNroZ55SPe0Ntxu0qYH-t-qKVQcxpXT6s9Q7FYGet0wTv4nypSUzUi_ozmLa36q3s7TNBVEMxg5qGXvQZBXwfDN4iHULpojQ6A9orxViCcgSQqJIIJFwsPmnCpBwB4v8OoOS8XYvckbaKQVnTShoBvQl5GMWfMofJZBcXrWljwf-uSLC9KCN0nvuWefvG7HRMPFngi8GATOrDnY1Sx0d_6oTEmYUSQzWEmmn_asUdeTc7Vc2a2I-RVjhZY4ZEavPsedm5sCJQVmeXmiRedXbdB34D_6XzfzamWMmXW394FsEhqMT7876tv4fShSf4npffIY3sq9C1faPyT1Az8CoZBsZtO9_6h6KzfAnkzxFUCGh-tp-nvhiWh2_LNV2JFzwP5jLye1cCXTco2HG0ZnufzkASh7UWWXaygbC_u_VBIAKTELroBF9mbo-rCWbWg51xd15wuNfmrM1_Z8wQJDYAiduP-5ubLQHIrK9H2guipRTRfF9otICWKeXBG-6eBmyUmgrhmWjj6OxXo3epUWW6RKLDHAF7ijxmW4J9TE4tjo1U9Dl2idVcA1=w568-h757-no

I don't know what it will look like at the end of the day, but hopefully, the supply has caught up with demand.

We have to be thankful to the people who are continuing to go to work to stock the shelves as the product comes in.

lion504

Flashlight Enthusiast
And the truck drivers, delivery drivers, gas station attendants, garbage crews, etc. Those of us quarantining/isolating are able to because of MANY service sector employees (and thus their families) who are not. I'm grateful for them.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
And the truck drivers, delivery drivers, gas station attendants, garbage crews, etc. Those of us quarantining/isolating are able to because of MANY service sector employees (and thus their families) who are not. I'm grateful for them.
Absolutely!
Remember the images of Manhattan when the garbage collectors went on strike?
just google images of
manhattan+garbage+strike

garbage piled up FAST!

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't recall a sanitation strike in my lifetime although I see they had one in 68. Technically they can't strike in NYS, the Taylor Law prohibits essential services from labor disruptions under strict penalties. Cops, firefights, sanitation dept, corrections, etc. can't strike, instead they have access to arbitration through a state entity (perb). Now job actions like sick outs and slow down yes, unofficially of course as that would violate Taylor Law. DSNY did one about 10 years ago during a snow storm and what a mess it caused. Days to clear the streets, something very unusual as they're alway tops at keeping the city moving. That 'job action' was the worst I saw garage piled up as they took days to clear the snow before resuming garage pick ups.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Today's good news: Wife tested negative after potentially being exposed twice. Also scored a few weeks worth of toilet paper. We don't have to resort to a bidet just yet at least. [emoji106]

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Peeeeeeeeete!! Good to hear from you. Definitely glad to hear your Mrs isn't sick.

I remember the garbage strike but thought it was around '73/74. It looks like it was 68 though. Maybe what I remember was the "remember when" stories a few years later.

A local (renowned) medical center near me has come up with their own covid test with same day results. They say they are ready for a surge if need be. Other facilities say the same.

Meanwhile the new case numbers nearly double each day in my state. Our numbers are still pretty low but it seems a couple of 'rest' homes are littered with cases. Aside from those we are in great shape.

I went to a drive thru for a lunch salad and my change was wofting with the wonderful lavender smell of lavender Lysol. Shucks, we should do that pandemic or not as money is pretty dirty generally. I just hope Mrs Fixer doesn't ask "who's perfume is that buster?"

Poppy

Flashaholic
Peeeeeeeeete!! Good to hear from you. Definitely glad to hear your Mrs isn't sick.

I remember the garbage strike but thought it was around '73/74. It looks like it was 68 though. Maybe what I remember was the "remember when" stories a few years later.

A local (renowned) medical center near me has come up with their own covid test with same day results. They say they are ready for a surge if need be. Other facilities say the same.

Meanwhile the new case numbers nearly double each day in my state. Our numbers are still pretty low but it seems a couple of 'rest' homes are littered with cases. Aside from those we are in great shape.

I went to a drive thru for a lunch salad and my change was wofting with the wonderful lavender smell of lavender Lysol. Shucks, we should do that pandemic or not as money is pretty dirty generally. I just hope Mrs Fixer doesn't ask "who's perfume is that buster?"
Just tell her you got it from "Jake at State Farm"

Poppy

Flashaholic
I just dropped off a gift for my friend and MD. He met me at the back of the building so that I didn't have to come in. His suggestion.
He was in the office doing virtual visits.
He was a bit agitated... "you know what scares the $hit out of me, is that people are NOT taking this serious enough!" He said, "yesterday I saw a couple out for a jog, just a couple of feet apart, just lolly dogging it, without any care or concern... SIX feet!"

We've been friends for 21 years, and I've never seen him like this. That was concerning.

Please take the precautions everyone has been talking about, and take your vitamins. They DO make a difference.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
Starting to see cases pop up down here. Speech therapist that works in the local nursing homes tested positive. : (

ven

Flashaholic
Prince Charles tested positive with COVID19, mild symptoms so far. Lets not forget, even if we do get this, it does not mean ventilator and coughing up blood! Most will get mild symptoms , many will get it, feel rough and it will pass. Not even knowing they have had it. Others not so lucky of course. A young healthy 21yr old with no underlying health conditions passed away due to COVID19:(

I had to do a chemist run, all queueing out side, 2m gaps, 1 in 1 out. Just went with the flow, 30 mins later back at home. Washed hands, carry on.

More jobs done today, blinds up in the kitchen, painting. Also going to take down that beast of a hedge in the back. It must be 14-15 heck 16 ft tall. So to go with my dewalt bits n bobs, a chainsaw with amazon due in tomorrow. Of course after ordering, i then realised PPE and chain oil!!!! spends never ends.

So next job whilst sun out organised, at this rate i will be twiddling my thumbs next week with nothing left to do. Well other than so far returning to work next Wednesday!

Last edited:

harro

Enlightened
Aus update. We are certainly on the upward trend of that exponential curve at present, a bit worrying. Nearly all state borders are closed to non essential travel and services/goods movement. While most people are aware of, and are practicing social distancing, and complying with closures and self isolation, there is still that component who believe none of this situation applies to them. On a positive note, panic buying at supermarkets has settled somewhat, and if you are early enough on any given day, you will probably get what you are shopping for, even TP. We are still supporting the local butcher and baker and fresh fruit/vegetable merchant and will continue to do so. Clubs, pubs, eateries, venues, gyms, tattooists, massage, health spas, beauty parlours and so on, all closed. Police about to get extraordinary powers to help enforce closures. State of emergency and disaster declared in Victoria, but not too sure about other states on that one. General outlook is remaining upbeat.

RetroTechie

Flashlight Enthusiast
He was a bit agitated... "you know what scares the $hit out of me, is that people are NOT taking this serious enough!"
Many Dutch people were annoyed upon seeing this video: Crowds at the Hague open-air market despite Corona measures

Many open-air markets like this are suspended, some not. Argument being it lowers the pressure on supermarkets, and in the open there's more room for people to keep their distance. Now in above vid, check the older man in his cart - some lung problem? Could not find ANYONE to do his shopping for him? Or near the end - mom/pop just takes their kid with them like always. Not a care in the world... :scowl:

Wouldn't surprise me if this single event puts several extra people in their grave. Mayor's response: "people can't keep their distance? I have no choice then - market closed!"

It's idiots like the people in above video that lengthen and worsen the pain for EVERYONE. Including themselves.

As for couples: if I were living under the same roof with girlfriend/wife, I would not keep my distance from that partner for months on end. Same with kids in a family. So joggers like the above wouldn't bother me if indeed they are a couple (same household), not just loose friends. Government policy is simple here: if any member from a household shows symptoms of flu or Corona, entire household stays home in quarantine. So in terms of risks taken / contacts, entire household is regarded as a 'single person'. Same policy goes for people meeting on the street. Several people from same household: their choice. Between strangers / neighbours etc: keep your distance. Bigger groups not allowed, period (and fines are coming!).

Generally the Dutch are doing this fine, btw - empty streets everywhere. For non-food shops there's little point in staying open as customers are staying away. So @ this point the government might as well order those shops closed too. And there's some signs the 'lockdown' is beginning to take effect. But it will be interesting to see how well people stick to it in the weeks ahead. Let alone months...

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
This coming December there is likely going to be a rise in child births as young couples directly violate the policy of social distancing.
This would be incredible irresponsible, only those who are making babies right are just animals. I would never want to bring a child to this earth with the uncertainties humanity is going through.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mrs Fixer had a craving for butter beans. She stopped by the store and grabbed 2 cans. She said "my gosh the shelves are still so bare". I said "who in the world keeps buying all of that stuff?" as I tried to find a space in the cupboard to put the second can of lima beans. She laughed and said "uh, perhaps you?"

But seriously we started stocking up back in last November because of the annual flu season. We do it every year and in spring/summer eat what remains. I will admit to having more canned tuna than normal but that's because I love me some canned tuna on weekends.

Status
Not open for further replies.