Couldn't pass up a Mini Mag 2xAA LED tonight...

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up the 3AA at HD for 19.97 today, it is nice and bright. It doesn't really focus, there is a center spot that gets larger and smaller but the outer ring stays the same size.
I don't understand why people shop at walmart and pay more $ for products that can be bought elsewhere.

Eugene said:
I picked up the 3AA at HD for 19.97 today, it is nice and bright. It doesn't really focus, there is a center spot that gets larger and smaller but the outer ring stays the same size.
I don't understand why people shop at walmart and pay more $ for products that can be bought elsewhere.

Currently, Home Depot doesn't stock the 2AA and Wal-Mart has the best price on it.

Mikeg23

Enlightened
Target has the 2AA LED.

After looking at every store I could think of I finally went to Walmart and got a 2AA LED then a couple weeks later I reallized that my Target had the 2AA LED, but they had been covered up by 2AA incandescents.

It was bad enough going to Walmart, but it was worse to find out that I didn't really have to.

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with this statement.
The 3xAA is a really cool flashlight. Especially for under $25.00.
A much better way to spend money vs a FENIX of any kind.
Yaesumofo

Matt Sutton said:
If you like the 2AA, you'll love the 3AA! They feel a bit long at first, but the extra brightness is worth it.

sgtgeo

Newly Enlightened
I got the 3aaa and added the IQ switch.

I understand that m@g had to change the head to get the proper focus for the led but why change the tail cap? It lacks the lanyard hole and if you want to use a kroll, IQ or some other tail cap you need to really stretch out the spring to make contact, Also you may have to remove some of the paint/ano from the threads especially for the kroll to make contact.

The IQ switch works really well but does not give you the same 100% as using the regular tail cap. It's still plenty though, I really like having the three levels and two strobe options.

Another note a standard aaa head will not even fit on my 3aaa led body seems wierd

still al good deal

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MiniMag LED in gray (pewter) is beautiful. It's a shame that most stores only carry it in black. I found an online retailer that has all the colors and bought from them.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
More thoughts:

It doesn't drain the batteries well, quits at about 1.15V, although if rested, it will work for a bit.

But it is pretty bright for a 2AA.

No moon mode, but when it starts blinking, you know the end is near.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
sgtgeo said:
I got the 3aaa and added the IQ switch.

I understand that m@g had to change the head to get the proper focus for the led but why change the tail cap? It lacks the lanyard hole and if you want to use a kroll, IQ or some other tail cap you need to really stretch out the spring to make contact, Also you may have to remove some of the paint/ano from the threads especially for the kroll to make contact.

The IQ switch works really well but does not give you the same 100% as using the regular tail cap. It's still plenty though, I really like having the three levels and two strobe options.

Another note a standard aaa head will not even fit on my 3aaa led body seems wierd

still al good deal

I thought they only released AA not AAA LED's?
Can't spring from the removed tailcap be pulled out and placed into the krool or IQ? And why would you need to scrape the threads, do those tailcaps not have contacts which touch the bare place past the threads?
I wonder if the removal of the lanyard was to cut manufacturing costs a little, don't need to drill the hole and machine the two spots on each side of it. Plus it used tounscrew all the time from my solitaire.

cobb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love mines too, its the 3aa model. For one thing, I am not worried if I loose it. Second, it came with a case. It does seem a bit long at times, but the reason I went with 3 vs 2 cells was for the extra brightness and longer run time til it quits.

I know many have complained about the focus, but I can see a window if extra light that varies with screwing of the head that adds or subtracts from the area around the center of the beam. The further out you shine it, the more you see what it gives and takes.

zulu45

Enlightened
I bought the 2AA model the second I saw it at Wal-Mart, and it has not let me down. It delivers amazing light, great regulation, and is built like a tank. And the ease of replacing it is a huge selling point for me. For instance, I love my Fenix L2P, but given it's price, and the fact that you have to order online to get it, has me using the Mini-MagLED 2AA as my primary light source when on the go. The fact that it's so affordable, and so easy to replace if it gets stolen/lost (You'll note I did not include the word broken, because every Mag-Lite I have own has been beaten up so much, yet works like new), was a great selling point. Thanks to the huge popularity of Mag-Lite flashlights, this will definately get the word of LEDs out to those who think that their incan. pocket light is as good as any of the LED lights. And I can't help but to love the Mag-Lite 4D LED bulb.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Took my 2AA Mag LED out a few days ago at night and it did really well! Granted, it had fresh batteries in it, but still... probably the best $23 I've spent in a long, long time.

I was able to see the tops of trees that are 50-100' high and the adjustable wide-narrow throw worked great for navigating through the yard, then pinpointing things far away.

It now has taken the place of my Inova X1 in my daily EDC bag. Those colored lenses that I had laying around from my old Mini-Mags work great, too.

This is definitely a keeper! It might not be up to par with other companies' lights and technical advances such as circuitry, but the beauty of it is in the simplicity and price. Thanks Mag-Lite! :)

ROVER

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about one but have two questions:

1.) Has anyone measured how much current the LED is seeing? I've seen battery draw, but I'd like to know the circuit's output for modability purposes.

2.) Will the same diameter glass lenses from the old minimags fit this?

Thank you.

lightinsky

Enlightened
Purchased the 2AA minimag Led returned it, then purchased the 3AA minimag led definitely brighter although not an everday carry due to its longer size. I purchaed the b270 glass lens 22.6 mm from flashlight lens and it fits just as it did in the old incan minimags. No more scratching the plastic cheapo lens the minimags led or incan came with. Awesome.

Inova T3, Inova 24/7, Taskforce 2c 3Watt super led, Surefire G2 with FM35 red filter lens, Surefire 9p with KL3 Gen 2.3 led on its way, Niteize red led in camo minimag 2AA

Latest posts