CPF Acronyms/Terminology (NEWBS/NOOBS, Look Here!)

Slidder

Newly Enlightened
Couple questions
1) What is PDTc

2) What's the difference between Dome On vs Dedome

3) What's is the difference between protected and unprotected high drain button top battery

Thanks for looking and your time

Nvincible

Newly Enlightened
Very useful info. Thanks for taking the time to do this (even if it's a good while ago)!!

Spartanden

Newly Enlightened
Still reading....still learning. Thanks for the lessons! Will be happy when I'm no longer a NOOB!

Mkduffer

Newly Enlightened
Great help, helped keep me from asking a lot of stupid questions.

One term that I see thrown around a lot, especially among builders and modders is "pill".

Now I think I know what it means, but I also believe in the ancient Chinese proverb, "Far better to remain silent and let people think you a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt".

Would someone more knowledgeable care to illuminate? ;)

Mahalo

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: CPF Acronyms (NEWBS/NOOBS, Look Here!)

These are not really acronymins, but maybe add a few electric abbreviations / terms:

mAh = milliampere-hour

An ampere-hour or amp-hour (SI symbol A·h or A h; also denoted Ah) is a unit of electric charge, equal to the charge transferred by a steady current of one ampere flowing for one hour, or 3600 coulombs.[1]

The ampere-hour is frequently used in measurements of electrochemical systems such as electroplating and electrical batteries. The commonly seen milliampere-hour (mA·h or mAh) is one-thousandth of an ampere-hour (3.6 coulombs).

Wh

The watt-hour (symbolized Wh) is a unit of energy equivalent to one watt (1 W) of power expended for one hour (1 h) of time. The watt-hour is not a standard unit in any formal system, but it is commonly used in electrical applications. An energy expenditure of 1 Wh represents 3600 joules (3.600 x 103 J).

For example to get the total cell energy capacity in terms of mAh, multiple mAh * voltage, i.e. 4.2V * 3500 mAh

Or get it in watt-hours, just divide by 1,000:

Wh = mAh × V / 1000

http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/electric/mah-to-wh.htm

Mkduffer

Newly Enlightened
Re: CPF Acronyms (NEWBS/NOOBS, Look Here!)

Wh

The watt-hour (symbolized Wh) is a unit of energy equivalent to one watt (1 W) of power expended for one hour (1 h) of time. The watt-hour is not a standard unit in any formal system, but it is commonly used in electrical applications. An energy expenditure of 1 Wh represents 3600 joules (3.600 x 103 J).
http://www.rapidtables.com/convert/electric/mah-to-wh.htm

Actually, the watt-hour is pretty standard. I see it on my electric bill all the time in the in the form of the Kilowatt-hr, or KWh.

The watt is a measure of electrical power and (if I remember correctly from my days working at an electrical engineering company), it is calculated as follows:
W = V x I x PF
Where: W = watts V = volts I = current (in Amperes) PF = Power Factor

Power Factor (PF) comes into play when voltage and current are out of phase. In the case of DC power systems, the voltage and amps (current) are always in phase, so for the purpose of these discussions, Watts(W) and VoltAmps(VA) are interchangeable.​

BTW, as I stated earlier, the Watt is a measure of electrical power. To put this into perspective, HP (HorsePower) is a measure of mechanical power. There are conversion tables to convert one to the other. 1 BHP is equivalent to approximately .75 KW.

I suspect that part of the reason most batteries don't list Watt-hours or VA-hours is because the cell voltage is fairly common knowledge, making it a common denominator.

Mahalo

Alloneword

Newly Enlightened
Oh boy can see i'm going to hav to keep this page open, sooo many acronyms to get my poor head round.

All1

Azwip

Newly Enlightened
Howdy, am new to all this.... have tried searching for a definition, no luck...

am trying to figure out what "Kcd" stands for? Sorry for the newbie question... but just ordered a TN42 and read somewhere about someone had a 750Kcd ???

Cannot find the def anywhere... or did I plainly miss it, if so, my apologies.

Thanks!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
The k in kcd = 1000, Cd is a measurement of light = candela. So 750kcd = 750 thousand candela. Pretty bright.

Bill

Last edited:

TheDoctorNL

Newly Enlightened
This is what I was looking for!
Understood most of it but it's nice to have this laying around on my desk.
Thanks!

wayben

Newly Enlightened
Great sticky!! I learned a lot in just 4 pages. I kept seeing the term "mule" and wasn't sure what it was. Looked here and it wasn't in the initial list of acronyms, but found it later as a question. Love it when a plan comes together.