CPF and Racism

Footlight

Newly Enlightened
As a person slightly underweight for my height, I personally find the term "light" highly offensive
grin.gif
(oops, that means I'll have to change my user name...)

To get slightly more serious, I am Asian, and am not offended in the slightest by references to rice in the description of vehicles. I am a member of another vehicle-related board, where the term is used freely to describe cars customised in a certain way, by members that include asians living in asia (like myself) as well as asians in North America.

I cannot of course speak for others who might be more sensitive, but I have not seen a single post on CPF that I would describe as racist. I also lived in the UK for seven years in the 1970's / 80's, without encountering any form of racism. Maybe I'm just thick skinned
smile.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Waynerd:
Whenever I'm in a group and a racist remark is made and everyone laughs I look right at the person that made the comment. I don't scowl or smile I just give them an expressionless face. Usually this gets their attention, because I'm not doing what everyone else is doing. Then when the laughter has gone down the others will look back at the one that made the comment. They will see him or her looking at me. They'll redirect their attention at me and see that I'm not laughing as they all were. I'm just looking with an expressionless face. Then each one of them will say to themselves, "Why isn't Waynerd laughing?" Then they'll realize that what they were laughing at may not have been that funny after all. Without doing anything I've effectively made the entire group rethink what they have done. I'm not trying to make a statement by doing this and I'm also not trying to perpetuate it either. I let each one of them make the choice.

That is much harder to do on a message board where I am limited to text.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Waynerd,

That is a quite brilliant response. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is more efective than many other "methods".

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Evan:
Is there a group left who can enjoy a joke about themselves?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

US!!

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
In case this went unnoticed by anyone:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:
This is Official CPF Policy:

Racism has no place on CPF.
Flaming is not allowed.

lightlover
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
(On page 1 of this topic).

That's facts.

Well it seems that enough time has passed for anyone interested to comment.
Before I reply to those posts, does anyone else want to contribute ?

lightlover

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by *something ridiculous ?:

Before I reply to those posts, does anyone else want to contribute ?

lightlover
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. The next time I think up some comment (and before I use it), I'm going to spend the day on Google looking at every website containing it to see if it offends anyone.
blush.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

ooooh.I just remembered something:

I had rice with dinner tonight,and nobody's feelings were hurt.

...I guess we all can get along after all.
smile.gif