CPF will eventually linger on as an example of how BBS were killed off by over modera

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
Well, I like this forum just the way it is.

CPF is the only forum that's held my interest for years. I like that they don't tolerate name calling or posting irrelevant useless drivel. This is a place I can actually learn, follow logical threads, and be entertained.

I especially appreciate the knowledgeable posters that are found here. It's a friendly place in a less-than-friendly world.

Change nothing, please.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I like this forum just the way it is.

CPF is the only forum that's held my interest for years. I like that they don't tolerate name calling or posting irrelevant useless drivel. This is a place I can actually learn, follow logical threads, and be entertained.

I especially appreciate the knowledgeable posters that are found here. It's a friendly place in a less-than-friendly world.

Change nothing, please.

Hear hear!

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it must be better than it used to be. At its worst back when I still frequently participated, a thread like this would've been locked immediately and probably resulted in people getting banned for a week or so.

I mostly quit participating when I realized that for every post I was wondering if what I said would get moved, deleted, or result in a ban. Not fun one bit.

I poke my head in here every now and then and I usually leave with the same feeling that this place is dead dead dead compared to how it was at its best; I joined 02-18-2008 so I'm not one of the old-old hands here but I saw a big shift during that time at least.

Not trying to be a big downer, just calling it like I see it now. (the main reason I don't visit much anymore is the absolute saturation of the market by dozens of different brands; can't keep up anymore and things just got too gimmicky for me. I know, old fart right?!)

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it must be better than it used to be. At its worst back when I still frequently participated, a thread like this would've been locked immediately and probably resulted in people getting banned for a week or so.

I mostly quit participating when I realized that for every post I was wondering if what I said would get moved, deleted, or result in a ban. Not fun one bit.

I poke my head in here every now and then and I usually leave with the same feeling that this place is dead dead dead compared to how it was at its best; I joined 02-18-2008 so I'm not one of the old-old hands here but I saw a big shift during that time at least.

Not trying to be a big downer, just calling it like I see it now. (the main reason I don't visit much anymore is the absolute saturation of the market by dozens of different brands; can't keep up anymore and things just got too gimmicky for me. I know, old fart right?!)

Welcome to the new cpf!

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1

It's a nice place with good folks.
Kind of self moderating for the most part.

I do know the dark days, all but a memory.
More flies with honey. 😀💡

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Cafe has always been a relaxed & loose place to hang out and let off some steam,,
problem was, it was becoming overly moderated & the blatant deletion of posts made it frankly ____ _____*

I understand CPF is a business, but relax on the heavy handed Delete glove in the Cafe

+

Cafe has always been a relaxed & loose place to hang out and let off some steam,,
problem was, it was becoming overly moderated & the blatant deletion of posts made it frankly ____ _____*

I understand CPF is a business, but relax on the heavy handed Delete glove in the Cafe

Yep! It has been much better lately, at least as far as I know. My one and only 2014 New Years resolution was to not be moderated. If memory serves me, I kept that resolution. It wasn't easy, sometimes my sense of humor won't be denied.

~ Chance :devil:

nbp

Flashaholic
^ hahahaha. That is pretty funny Chance. You did have a string of deleted posts there for awhile didn't you? Lol.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Actually, I killed 99.5% of the BBS back in 2012.

The .5% of you who are left.... are responding to bots. You might be surprised who is a bot. But more surprised who isn't one.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

User was banned for this post. :)

On pre-DICE Slashdot, you had more to fear from 1,000 alpha geeks ripping apart every aspect of every typo on a forum that didn't permit post editing.

NO! Someone is wrong on the internet! I can't go to bed yet! They're still wrong!! :)

It's one of the reasons that SD didn't actually need mods. Say something wrong, get called out. Keep doing it, get called an idiot. Still keep doing it, get openly called a dumb troll. No punches pulled, no holds barred. You have freedom of speech, therefore the freedom to say dumb things. The freedom of listening needs to be on the Bill of Rights.

CPF is a lot more like a friendly pub. SD was one of the first major nerd war sites.

Ebaums and Something Awful were a bunch of n00bz. SD had a specific non-name for activism.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
NO! Someone is wrong on the internet! I can't go to bed yet! They're still wrong!! :)

[/COLOR]
+1
Lmao, I can just see that on so many different forums.
Even in real life in groups, one person says something slightly off, and suddenly everyone is on them.

Thankfully, I can edit my list of typos here. ☺
Dang, quoted a colour quote, sigh I'm done for. (Canadian, Colour)

Last edited:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the mods moderations most of the time. Helps keep me in line. It can be hard reading on a iPhone with reading dyslexia! Sometimes, I have to re read things several times. Or I jumble up what I read and respond to the wrong part of the OP topic.
It also makes it hard to read long posts with no paragraph breaks. If u notice my posts are usually short or have lots of breaks. I do it for me, but I am sure there are other folks who have the same or worse problems.

In the past, I posted in the wrong section or didn't read something correctly and it got fixed automatically or deleted with no warning or explanation. It can sometimes hurt your feelings but that is life. I did send a message to one of the mods in the past. I asked what I did wrong. They were surprisingly helpful and explained things well. I was a low post member at the time and it probably looked like I was doing thigs on purpose.

I also get it, they don't have time to play games with people.
I have also learned here that there are so many different languages that humor doesn't always translate well. Not to mention, regional jokes or puns arent always funny to everyone.

The best part of this forum is that there is little petty, out of hand, childish bickering that goes on for pages. Now, I love to cuss. I just prefer to do it at work and home. Lol
But I have probably digressed a little.

:banned::banned:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
It also makes it hard to read long posts with no paragraph breaks.

Ahh yes, the dreaded "wall of text" syndrome. Combine with a rant and maybe a few shots of liquor and next you have a flame war. :)

BTDT more than I'd like to admit.

The best part of this forum is that there is little petty, out of hand, childish bickering that goes on for pages.

I can call you a doodie-head and say I endorse Ultrafire products, if you like. :)