Day carry?

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nope. Why? I'm nocturnal and my Batman pajamas don't have pockets. But if I have pockets, I have my Quark AA Neutac, Fenix E01 and my red Rebel'd Peak Eiger. I always find myself looking in places without daylight, like closets, under tables, it cupboards and even behind toilets and under certain relative's bed. Sorry I couldn't resist, you know what I mean?

I carry one or more lights because I regularly inspect buildings, almost all of which have unlighted spaces, crawlways, chases, plenums, etc. I can't tell you the number of times others on the inspection teams have been blown away by how much light my Fenix P1D-Q5 throws. (This is especially gratifying when somebody else on the team is carrying an unmodified M**light). In addition to the Fenix, I carry a NightCore EasyAA (R2), mostly because it's gratifyingly bright for its size, and AA cells can be found almost anywhere (on the remote chance that my personal battery supply might run low during an extended inspection...not likely, but remotely possible).

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious, by EDC to you guys mean you carry a light in your pocket during the day too? I just bought my first Surfire (LX2) and I carried it around in my pocket the whole day. I love it! Anyone else do that? :)

Today I went to plug a USB flash drive into the back of a computer - the light was on in the server room, but the back of the server was in dark shadow, I couldn't see a damn thing! I reached into my pocket and pulled out my Nitecore D10 - ahhh, there's the USB port!

During the day:
My eyes are not adapted to the dark.
Bright light all around makes anything in the shadows look pitch black.
The back of a computer under someone's desk is not always as well lit as you might expect! :poke:

Do I carry a torch throughout the day? Hell no, I carry three!

I don't USE a torch every day, but when I need or want one I don't have a problem because I do have one (the only hesitation is in deciding between jeans pocket, jacket pocket or keyring).

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
Do I always have a light on me? Yes...

At the very least I have my Fenix LD01 with the rest of my EDC gear (a small wallet with light, knife, whistle, pen and paper) - and for the majority of my daily life that is more than capable for all the odd tasks looking in cupboard and so on.

At the same time, if I know I am going to be using a light properly (for example yesterday, when I met a friend to go out with the cameras planning on not getting home until fairly late) I will carry what I feel I need - so regularly a Fenix L1T as a bigger light, plus a Petzl Tikka XP headtorch.

So carrying a bulkier light around permanently is for me excessive (though I am debating a 2AA Fenix TK20 for bigger duties), I consider an appropriately sized light for your situation as essential.

It is always going to get dark at the end of the day, so why not be prepared? Even if you don't spend your time working underground or walking country roads at night, the power can still go out in the city centre plunging everything in to darkness, and that says nothing of all the little jobs where a light is handy to have around.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
EDC = Every DAY Carry, so yes, I do carry one on me during the day.

I try to always have a light on me, and I usually do, because my lights are attached to my keys and I almost always have those on me.

I try to have one light that fills many tasks on me, and maybe a more specialized light if I know I will use it.

bstrickler

Enlightened
I have one of those Stanley 369's. I find it's only useful for mood lighting.

Yes, it lasts forever on 9 batteries, but that's because it doesn't put out any light!

There was a post floating around the depths of CPF about replacing the LED's with brighter ones. I might give that a go next time i'm bored.

It won't be hard to replace the LED, since its an XR-E. I've been looking at replacing it with an XP-E, if it's possible (I'll let you know in a few weeks, when I get some in), since they're more efficient than an XR-E. Be warned, though. They have zero heatsinking, so you can't overdrive it without it going :poof: There *might* be a way of adding your own heatsinking, though. I'll see if I can. I'd probably swap out the driver with a BBNG400, and use some Nimhs. It is kind of nice, having a low-output light that has a really long battery life, though. You don't always need blinding light, especially at night, when you just get up. It puts out just enough to see up to 20-40 feet in darkness, for dark-adjusted eyes.

~Brian

Short and Round

Newly Enlightened
I EDC my Fenix E01 on my key chain and my Surefire E1B in my front left pocket. I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!! Besides, why spend $150.00 on a flashlight if you are not going to carry it or use it?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC my Fenix E01 on my key chain and my Surefire E1B in my front left pocket. I would rather have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!! Besides, why spend $150.00 on a flashlight if you are not going to carry it or use it?

Same here...E1B in left front pocket everyday with an E01 on my work keys. Strange...LOL :laughing:

...plus I usually have my SF A2 in my coat pocket and my SF G3 in my computer bag (day or night).

-Robert

mdocod

Flashaholic
This thread topic reminds me of a funny little "event" that occurred while at work down at the pizza place a few days ago.

It's was about 12:30PM, sunny, nice, etc. I delivered an order to a laser tag joint that we have a contract with. I often take a moment while I'm there to say hello to the manager, collect hot-bags and such. He noticed an oddly large item hanging from the side of my pants and inquired as to what it was holstered there...

I retrieved the holstered item to show the contents. I gave a quick flash to the floor to demonstrate the M6. He mentioned, "You know it's noon right?" I explained that I have a mental condition that results in abnormal tenancies towards carrying powerful portable illumination devices, and that the doctors have not yet developed a drug powerful enough to suppress the behavior.

:)
-Eric

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
keychain- modamag drake
belt (work) fenix pd30 today, last month quark neutral tact. AA-2
at home sundrop xp

you guys have to many lights. I mean I only have ~20:nana:

strinq

Enlightened
i edc the LF2XT on my keychain, that way i'll be 'lighted' where ever I am.
And also a pd30 in the car for emergencies.

I'll admit i don't find myself using the light as often as i like but they make life easier whenever i actually need em.
Suffered blackouts a few times and have gone up unlit stairways (very little ambient light) etc (fell down some stairs once and never want to experience that again).

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened
Yep, Today I EDC'd My Vital Gear FB2 Black with E2D head, and Yoclo made LED EM-T F2...But I always EDC a light, as I always need one in the day...or by the end of it.

Today I used it to check the tread on my tyres @ 13:00 as i couldent see the tread indicator in daylight. ( I thought I'd better check as I'd just slid the tail end right out after pulling out from a junction)...It was fun :p, but I will have to change the tyres :eek:

Mikey V

Newly Enlightened
My current EDC is an Olight I10 Infinitum, in its factory holster, right next to my cellphone on the belt. At lower power, it will run forever on a primary 123. I can't believe how many times in a regular day it has come in handy. I previously used a stainless Fenix LD01 for EDC, but the twistie proved too difficult to one-hand and it wasn't bright enough compared to the I10.

In winter time, when I commute in the dark both ways, I also add another jacket pocket light, possibly a Surefire E2DL or more likely, a 3P lego pocket rocket I built using a very bright single mode R2 drop-in with a Solarforce A001 Klingon attack head, with the attack prongs replaced by a smooth bezel ring (I wish they would sell it this way), AR replacement lens, a FiveMega single 123 cell tube housing a new Ultrafire 18350 cell (can be upped with extension tube for a pair of 18500's), and a tailcap made from a tail stand Solarforce L2S2 clone housing and Fenix forward clickie. The fat little orange 18350 cell is unprotected, but the R2 dropin shuts down at 3v, so no danger of overdischarge. The little 1200Mah cell gives good run time, and the light throws like a little beastie!

I also have a similar lego light using a Malkoff M30, A001 bezel with flat ring, FM 1x 123 tube but with a Surefire clickie, but I stick to a protected 16340 because the M30 will allow an unprotected 18350 to overdischarge. Performance is similar, runtime hasn't been compared, but the 16340 is probably going to run out before the 18350. A third Lego is just like this last one, except I used a single 18500 Five Mega tube. It is a bit smaller than a 6P but way better!

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ALWAYS have a flashlight on me!!

I have been in the back of the supermarket in the day time when the power goes out. It is awfully dark back there. I have also been in the mall when the power goes out. So, yeah, I ALWAYS have a flashlight on me.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Like many responses, I carry a light with my 24-7. I always have a AAA light in my pocket along with a keychain light, plus a few other lights in my courier bag. Most of the time, I am either using underground public transportation or in elevators / office buildings, so you never know when the lights go out.

lightcacher

Newly Enlightened
I got caught in a couple of situations a few years ago that made me vow I'd never be without a flashlight again. I now carry at least two lights, a Maratac AAA on the keyring in my left pocket and a Fenix P1D CE on another keyring in my right pocket. If I know for sure that there's a chance I might be out after dark, I also carry a Fenix P2D Q5 on my belt.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm wearing a belt, I always have a light holstered (typically my Quark or L-mini II) and a smaller light in my pocket (currently ITP AAA).

The smaller light is for loaning to folks who want to borrow a flashlight. The holstered light is for me :)

--flatline