Decrease in USPS Quality of Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

5S8Zh5

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had to return a dvd to France. Seller said they would refund purchase cost and return shipping, so I click and shipped an international priority label ($12.33) 8 days ago and dropped it off. Delivered today. Not bad, being the day before Christmas and all.

On the day I was to drop it off, the instructions said not to drop it off in the bin, so I found out the p.o. opened at 9am, and I arrived at around 8:35am and there were half a dozen cars parked and I thought - get in line. Only there wasn't a line to get in, but for the self-service kiosk. There was a long line by the time they opened - which was 15 minutes early at 8:45! First in line, dropped it off. In and out.

A4QlBDo.png

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to say that mail has been moving pretty smoothly over the 2015 holiday season (USPS, UPS and FedEx). A day or two here and there - to be expected - but otherwise no problems.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a whole, I'd have to give the USPS a B+ for on time delivery. Out of the last 10-12 items I've purchased via eBay and other on-line companies, two items were delivered a day early, with only one being delayed a day.

My UPS shipments however have been another story.

Shipped a couple of boxes to my northern office. UPS was doing quite well at next day delivery. Then the sheet hit the fan. Some parts that were required for year end sales, went missing for 9 days. They found them 4 days after drop off, but for unknown reasons, took their good old time delivering. I ended up having to work into the wee hours of the night to machine and coat replacement parts so production could keep moving.

Replacement parts were shipped via UPS and USPS. USPS delivered a day earlier than did UPS.

Purchase a dozen crabcakes for a Christmas gift and had them sent to a friend. FedEx next day delivery, $40+ delivery charge. Three days later they got delivered. If I were closer, I'd have taken them to the FedEx office and dumped them on the floor. $200 worth of stinky seafood in the trash.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Some parts of the US seem to have stink bug service from usps while other areas it's marvelous.
I'm in a latter area thankfully.

UPS is a roll of the dice. I have a kid who works there. If the box goes to the correct bin, it's pretty smooth. But if a label is missing or got sorted wrong it goes to the misfit bin. That's a place they get around to sorting when time allows.

I cringe everytime I see Fed Ex is the shipper. But they don't always screw it up.

I'll have to remember not to send fresh fish via fed ex. Yuck!!!

markr6

Flashaholic
NORTH TEXAS PROCESSING AND DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Another package stuck at this apparent hellhole of the earth where time seems to just stop. Priority mail taking 5 days...useless!

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
NORTH TEXAS PROCESSING AND DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Another package stuck at this apparent hellhole of the earth where time seems to just stop. Priority mail taking 5 days...useless!
I'll trade you.

I have a UPS package that was shipped Friday for Saturday delivery that still isn't here. Tracking site indicates it was incorrectly routed and would impact delivery by one day. Once it does get delivered, I'll be filing a claim for the $85 Saturday delivery charge. My replacement order has been received, just waiting on the high dollar one now.

Late last year, again UPS lost a package I sent with $30k worth of parts. Took them 9 days to find and another 3 days to deliver. In the mean time, I had to work a few 16 hour days to remake and deliver myself.

FedEx broke the lens of my 16" search light. The caution labels, "Delicate/glass inside" meant nothing as there was a gash through the label. Their insurance did pay rather well though.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
USPS service has reached the point that it takes longer for a parcel to get from New York to Pittsburgh, than it takes to get from China to New York. Add that the incredibly high mis-sort rate at USPS for parcels (about 25% for 1st class parcels) and you have a recipe for service failures.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
My most recent frustration with USPS is significant to me. I ordered a package which came via USPS Priority 2 day with tracking and insurance. When I checked the tracking after I thought I should have received it the tracking said it was delivered in or at my mailbox at 9:32am the day before. I was home, in my living room with a large window that faces my mailbox at that time. My mail deliverer never brought any mail that day, let alone the package. Apparently they scan those packages in their delivery vehicle right before delivering them, which explains the exact time stamp. So, my deliverer placed my package in someone else's mailbox, to which it never got reported or returned to USPS.

I live in a rural area and my mailman has been the same one since I have lived in this house for the last 11 years, so he knows who I am and my name. The package has both an address and a name on it, so that is two strong reasons why a package, not a letter, should not have been misdelivered. It is easy to see how a letter envelope could slip between the seats or into someone else's mail, but not a box. This package was over $50 to boot. I called my postmaster and she looked into it and said the mailman couldn't remember the package and it wasn't still in his vehicle. She told me to call the company and explain to them what happened and that they should send me another shipment and then make the insurance claim on USPS.

This was over a week ago now, so whoever got my package obviously decided to keep it for themselves or throw it away instead of turning it back in. So that is two very disappointing things about this whole situation, the mailman making a significant mistake and then also someone else locally not being honest and returning the package. I realize we have much better mail service than in many countries, but things should still be better than this sort of thing.

I have never once had FedEx or UPS mis-deliver a package to me in my life. Only twice can I remember either of those two companies not getting package to me on the scheduled delivery date, and both times were due to severe winter weather which included blizzard like conditions and/or ice storms.

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go to the Post Office and talk to a manager they can actually look up the GPS location of where the package was scanned. This may help in you search for the mis-delivery.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll trade you.

I have a UPS package that was shipped Friday for Saturday delivery that still isn't here. Tracking site indicates it was incorrectly routed and would impact delivery by one day. Once it does get delivered, I'll be filing a claim for the $85 Saturday delivery charge. My replacement order has been received, just waiting on the high dollar one now.

Late last year, again UPS lost a package I sent with $30k worth of parts. Took them 9 days to find and another 3 days to deliver. In the mean time, I had to work a few 16 hour days to remake and deliver myself.

FedEx broke the lens of my 16" search light. The caution labels, "Delicate/glass inside" meant nothing as there was a gash through the label. Their insurance did pay rather well though.

Wow, I just read your post. That makes my grievance seem much less severe.....................30k???..............yikes

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, I just read your post. That makes my grievance seem much less severe.....................30k???..............yikes

I build components for limited production electronics devices used in the medical field.

I had 60 front faces and 60 multilayer circuit boards that were a couple of weeks worth of production.

We were trying to make year end sales, and when the parts disappeared, we were short.

I now hold 10 of each in reserve and can ship overnight if a shipment goes missing.

Skeeterg

Enlightened
Hells bells,I am still waiting from order put in Feb 4th at gearbest.com. I think it's in the USA somewhere. The tracking is almost worthless,and GB tells me to wait longer????

Status
Not open for further replies.