Decrease in USPS Quality of Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

bartko09

Enlightened
Having been exposed more than a little to Six Sigma practices, I can tell you that even 5% is excessive.

Couldn't agree more. The issue, however, isn't necessarily with process or the improvement of process but more with the fact that the general public is dealing with a government entity and when dealing with government employees you quickly figure out what level of intelligence the government hires for when trying to hire at the cheapest rate possible. And don't forget that the USPS has been pretty much bankrupt for the better part of a decade (although supposedly now they're not, even though they haven't pulled a profit? Not sure how that works) so they likely cut more than most.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
And don't forget that the USPS has been pretty much bankrupt for the better part of a decade (although supposedly now they're not, even though they haven't pulled a profit? Not sure how that works) so they likely cut more than most.

Its a problem of government but not in the traditional way. Its monopolies that are inefficient (public or private) and most agencies are monopolies. But USPS is not, they have several strong competitors.

2005, USPS generated over 1B in profits. So they were doing well (or at least ok). But because its a public agency, USPS is susceptible to the whims of politicians. Who in 2006, decided it was a good idea to saddle them with an artificial expense, exceeding 5B per year for 10 years. Now this money isn't actually spent, so USPS borrows it from the treasury and then pays it back, to the treasury.

But it still counts as a 'loss' so they still have to make changes to try to cover the loss. If they were a private company, they wouldn't have this weird bill and even if they did, they could raise prices and cut services. But because they're a public agency, they have to ask permission to raise prices*. And they are susceptible to pressure not to close post offices. So with no visible cuts allowed, they have to make invisible cuts. Like close and reduce hours at sorting centers, creating Rec's problem.

Now the good news is, the 10th year is almost here so new payments to nowhere will end. The bad news is, the 50B+ they cumulatively borrowed from and given back to the Treasury, is still on the books. But they can at least start reporting operational profits again. And if the 2006 requirement is erased, the debt it created gets erased too.

* on US->US delivery. they've been raising prices on US->intl for a while, making US companies less competitive.

Last edited:

bartko09

Enlightened
Its a problem of government but not in the traditional way. Its monopolies that are inefficient (public or private) and most agencies are monopolies. But USPS is not, they have several strong competitors.

2005, USPS generated over 1B in profits. So they were doing well (or at least ok). But because its a public agency, USPS is susceptible to the whims of politicians. Who in 2006, decided it was a good idea to saddle them with an artificial expense, exceeding 5B per year for 10 years. Now this money isn't actually spent, so USPS borrows it from the treasury and then pays it back, to the treasury.

But it still counts as a 'loss' so they still have to make changes to try to cover the loss. If they were a private company, they wouldn't have this weird bill and even if they did, they could raise prices and cut services. But because they're a public agency, they have to ask permission to raise prices*. And they are susceptible to pressure not to close post offices. So with no visible cuts allowed, they have to make invisible cuts. Like close and reduce hours at sorting centers, creating Rec's problem.

Now the good news is, the 10th year is almost here so new payments to nowhere will end. The bad news is, the 50B+ they cumulatively borrowed from and given back to the Treasury, is still on the books. But they can at least start reporting operational profits again. And if the 2006 requirement is erased, the debt it created gets erased too.

* on US->US delivery. they've been raising prices on US->intl for a while, making US companies less competitive.

Great post! Mine was rushed from my phone while in the car. You make great points, many of which I completely forgot about.

SubLGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently ordered some batteries from a vendor in PA. They were shipped via 1st class mail, and arrived at the Spokane, WA postal facility (within 30 miles of my address in Idaho) 2 days later, but never arrived at my local P.O. for delivery to me, according to the tracking info. Looking at today's tracking info, the package is now back in PA, at a USPS facility, and has departed that facility for an unknown destination. :sigh:

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to the wonderful world of USPS service. About a month ago I had a parcel sent to me via DHL Smart Post. DHL handed it over to the Post office sorting center at Warrendale PA for delivery in Pittsburgh. Warrendale promptly sent it on to Jersey City NJ instead of the local delivery post office. At this point I believe about 15% of all 1st class parcels sent to me go 'off the rails'. Last week I received a 1st class letter, it took it 13 days to get from the San Francisco Bay area (Hayward) to Pittsburgh PA.

I note that both FEDEX and UPS have become so discouraged by USPS performance that they no longer turn over parcels to a USPS sorting Center, they actually hand them over at the Post Office that is supposed to deliver them. If they don't go through the sorting center, they cannot be mis-sorted.

markr6

Flashaholic
Expected Delivery Day: Monday, September 21, 2015

Another miss! It's the 22nd now and package still appears to be in Orlando, FL. Quite a ways from Indiana! Hopefully the tracking is just not updated, as usual, and shows up today.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mark, I suggest that you stop calling individual post offices and call top level USPS customer service. Mention to the top level the offices you've called, the experience you've had, and most importantly... the NAMES, positions, and locations of the people you've talked to.

Two ways to approach a post office problem: bottom up and top down. Sounds like you've tried bottom up, time for top down.

Have your tracking number handy.

markr6

Flashaholic
Mark, I suggest that you stop calling individual post offices and call top level USPS customer service. Mention to the top level the offices you've called, the experience you've had, and most importantly... the NAMES, positions, and locations of the people you've talked to.

Two ways to approach a post office problem: bottom up and top down. Sounds like you've tried bottom up, time for top down.

Have your tracking number handy.

Thanks for the advice. I called this morning, but hung up since I saw the mail coming. But then, to no surprise, it wasn't on the truck. So, I guess it's time to call again. I'd really like to have this light for an trip coming up soon.

markr6

Flashaholic
Nothing today either! I just can't believe it. I purchased a M30LC2 from illumination gear last week since I knew they would get it out the same day. They did. But USPS totally screwed it up. I'm REALLY upset because I wanted to use it on a long kayaking trip soon. Too late now. I don't want to say I paid $130+ for a one-time trip, but... :rolleyes:

markr6

Flashaholic
Still nothing. I received an email confirming my customer service ticket, no action or response yet.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Next step is to call top level and reference the ticket number. Your trouble ticket number is your main weapon in this. Good luck!

markr6

Flashaholic
USPS_unavailable.jpg

No inconvenience whatsoever! It gives incorrect data half the time anyway :shakehead

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently purchased a light in a hard case that also included the power cable. The "shipper" placed the case in a cardboard box with the cable that was large enough to have shipped two cases.

When the USPS carrier dropped it off at the house, he remarked "I hope it's all there" as the box was smashed, partially open. He waited until I opened the remains of the box, when I remarked that I didn't see the cable. He stated, Oh, that's where the cable came from, I'll bring it tomorrow. It was a power cable for a Surefire Hellfighter with the accessory plug.

I can't blame USPS for this one. The seller once contacted about the poor packaging, just blew it off.

Markr6, have you received your shipment??

Last edited:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a box that I received from Peak Beam Systems a couple of weeks ago. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bdjy9jehgs2bsel/AABzOXHC--7eM6Usu6HOFJxsa?dl=0

It contained one of my Maxa Beam lights with battery and one of my Nighthunter lights also with battery.

Peak did a great job of packing with everything double packed and lots of foam supporting the lights. Good thing they placed a high insured value on the lights.

UPS on the other hand either didn't read the GLASS caution placard or didn't care, but this is how I received this one.

Have you ever witnessed a USPS mail carrier or a UPS delivery person smiling as they went about their daily grind? Think about doing their job day in and day out. Five days a week .... 50 weeks a year ..... Year after year ..... SSDD, but how could you tell? At least the carriers get to go outside; I can't imagine what it would be like to work in a sorting center. There's a reason for the poor service, the J O B is sucking their will to live.

~ Chance

Jumpmaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever witnessed a USPS mail carrier or a UPS delivery person smiling as they went about their daily grind? Think about doing their job day in and day out. Five days a week .... 50 weeks a year ..... Year after year ..... SSDD, but how could you tell? At least the carriers get to go outside; I can't imagine what it would be like to work in a sorting center. There's a reason for the poor service, the J O B is sucking their will to live.

~ Chance

Well obviously their dissatisfaction with their job choices justifies all the horrible service they provide. That makes it all ok.

If they're not happy with their job, I am sure there are many others lined up waiting to take their place that would be happy to do so.

Last edited:

Bill_Brown

Newly Enlightened
I know why USPS delivery has slowed down. They have closed many of their old distribution centers. Now mail has to go further to a distribution center then sent back to city where the package is suppose to be delivered. Here is a example. A package for me use to come directly to Tulsa. Then be sent out for delivery. Now that same exact package has to go to Oklahoma City first then back to Tulsa. That is a additional 3 days. OKC is about 100miles from Tulsa.

Well obviously their dissatisfaction with their job choices justifies all the horrible service they provide. That makes it all ok.

You've obviously misunderstood my intent. In no way did I justify their working conditions as cause for providing horrible service.

If they're not happy with their job, I am sure there are many others lined up waiting to take their place that would be happy to do so.

I agree. Unfortunately, poor job performance isn't cause for termination from the USPS.

~ Chance

Status
Not open for further replies.