Decrease in USPS Quality of Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever witnessed a USPS mail carrier or a UPS delivery person smiling as they went about their daily grind? Think about doing their job day in and day out. Five days a week .... 50 weeks a year ..... Year after year ..... SSDD, but how could you tell? At least the carriers get to go outside; I can't imagine what it would be like to work in a sorting center. There's a reason for the poor service, the J O B is sucking their will to live.

~ Chance

I now live in Smallville USA. I have two letter carriers that take turns on my route. I'm the next to the last stop for the day.

I've got to be on a first name basis with both gents and they are good people. Big difference between rural and city carriers. I usually end up greeting them at the mail box if it's just letters or they drive up to the house for packages. I also provide them with cold bottled water. That goes a long way.

UPS has a terminal a couple of miles from the house. Depending on time of day for a delivery, I can get three of four different drivers. Those guys are the drop and run types.

The thing I like about UPS is that I get one day delivery from my house to the office without having to pay for next day. I had a friend send me some food the other week using FedEx 14lb box, with dry ice for $70. I sent him a return present via UPS, 24lb box, using ice packs for $22. Same next day delivery just different carrier.

I have had my share of damaged parcels by USPS, the last was a laptop keyboard and looks like an S when opened.

Everyone can have a bad day. People use USPS due to price. When you can send a 70lb priority mail box for $12.95, things are going to happen.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
It isn't just that the service is bad. For the umpteenth time this year I have had a package mis-sorted at the local distribution center. So far this year I have packages routed via San Juan, Miami, St. Louis, Detroit, Cleveland, Boston and Jersey City. I have no idea where they have sent the latest one. It supposedly left the distribution center for the local post office 3 days ago. It obviously went somewhere else. I note that UPS and FedEx have lost all faith in the distribution centers. They now deliver hybrid service items directly to the delivering Post Office. Only DHL hasn't caught on yet. The last DHL Smart Post item sent to me got sent to Jersey City from the local distribution Center 3 weeks ago. Filing a complaint is a waste of time, there is no response. Never mind that most of the time the web site won't actually accept complaints any more. It goes off to never never land when you try. I guess they no longer want to hear from the customers, and calling is an exercise in frustration since it is impossible to talk to a live human being. My guess is that upwards of 15% of incoming 1st class and parcels from China take the 'scenic route'. At the moment I have 3 parcels that have gone 'missing' (until they turn up somewhere else they aren't supposed to be). So much for 6 sigma, or continuous process improvement at USPS. If UPS, DHL or FedEx mishandled half as many parcels as USPS, they would have been bankrupt long ago.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
The last DHL Smart Post item sent to me got sent to Jersey City from the local distribution Center 3 weeks ago. Filing a complaint is a waste of time, there is no response. Never mind that most of the time the web site won't actually accept complaints any more. It goes off to never never land when you try. I guess they no longer want to hear from the customers, and calling is an exercise in frustration since it is impossible to talk to a live human being.

Have you actually followed the procedure calling top level USPS CS? How good are you at talking to a postmaster? There's a knack to it. I got some guy fired in New Jersey last year for not actually delivering anything.

1. Get a trouble ticket number from top level USPS CS.
2. Take matters in your own hands, calling Postmasters and referencing this number.

Be polite, be friendly, ask for help. Don't blame, don't yell, don't be rude. Remember, you are the one asking for help so make it sound like you need it. You're not the one that fires someone, that's likely a Postmaster. They can be your best friend in this, but only if you can talk to them correctly.

My guess is that upwards of 15% of incoming 1st class and parcels from China take the 'scenic route'.
1st class intn'l waits for a container to be filled before it hops the pond. This can add 1-8 weeks in addition to other requirements of the journey. I've been in this game for over 15 years. Ask questions. I can help you.

The more you know, the more polite you are, the better you ask, the more heads will roll and it's not you firing people. Not your job, you're just alerting the fire-guys to the need.

Last edited:

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can happily report that someone in Prestige Delivery stole my Fenix HP30 headlamp and two Panasonic 18650 cells.

Never before heard of them. At least, USPS never stole anything, except a stereo shipped to me in 1988. Fed Ex, has let packages of mine sit in one spot for 4 days. Don't think any are spotless.

Fortunately, I got my money back from amazon.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great to read.We live in a small town and have very good local USPS service. The other carriers treat you like second class unless you spend the big bucks. Not to say that USPS is perfect...

Have you actually followed the procedure calling top level USPS CS? How good are you at talking to a postmaster? There's a knack to it. I got some guy fired in New Jersey last year for not actually delivering anything.

2. Take matters in your own hands, calling Postmasters and referencing this number.

Be polite, be friendly, ask for help. Don't blame, don't yell, don't be rude. Remember, you are the one asking for help so make it sound like you need it. You're not the one that fires someone, that's likely a Postmaster. They can be your best friend in this, but only if you can talk to them correctly.

1st class intn'l waits for a container to be filled before it hops the pond. This can add 1-8 weeks in addition to other requirements of the journey. I've been in this game for over 15 years. Ask questions. I can help you.

The more you know, the more polite you are, the better you ask, the more heads will roll and it's not you firing people. Not your job, you're just alerting the fire-guys to the need.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast

My complaints are not related to delays in parcels arriving in the USA, Unless you are paying for a priority service, transit times to the USA are luck of the draw. It is what happens AFTER they reach the USA. That's the point where things start to go off the rails.

Two weeks ago I had a registered parcel from China. The first place it tracked in the USA was Nashua NH! (look at the tracking for RL131421434CN ). Now why an International Registered Parcel destined for Pittsburgh should show up in Nashua NH is beyond me. Of course it is also beyond me why a parcel turned over at Warrendale PA for local delivery in Pittsburgh should end up in Jersey City NJ. I have asked to speak to local Postmaster, both at the local post office and the post office that handles deliveries where I live (due to costs my local mail is no longer delivered by my local Post Office). The Postmaster doesn't disagree that there is a problem, but I have also been politely informed that they have absolutely zero control over what happens 'upstream'. This is the second time in the last month that I have 3 parcels go 'off the rails' simultaneously.

IS there a published phone number for top level customer service at USPS? The number seems to be a well kept secret. I can't imagine why...

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
My complaints are not related to delays in parcels arriving in the USA, Unless you are paying for a priority service, transit times to the USA are luck of the draw. It is what happens AFTER they reach the USA. That's the point where things start to go off the rails.

Two weeks ago I had a registered parcel from China. The first place it tracked in the USA was Nashua NH! (look at the tracking for RL131421434CN ). Now why an International Registered Parcel destined for Pittsburgh should show up in Nashua NH is beyond me. Of course it is also beyond me why a parcel turned over at Warrendale PA for local delivery in Pittsburgh should end up in Jersey City NJ. I have asked to speak to local Postmaster, both at the local post office and the post office that handles deliveries where I live (due to costs my local mail is no longer delivered by my local Post Office). The Postmaster doesn't disagree that there is a problem, but I have also been politely informed that they have absolutely zero control over what happens 'upstream'. This is the second time in the last month that I have 3 parcels go 'off the rails' simultaneously.
I'd say about 90% of the time when receiving an international to the US, it may or may not be scanned into the system at origin and shows up with no further scan.

A couple times, those evil people in Dept Homeland Security seized the packages and sent a blasted POST CARD informing me that they seized the packages and had the GALL to charge me a daily storage fee until I could pay their extortion. Didn't even call the phone number on the stinking packages. I have very very few problems with USPS, it's DHS and US Customs that make me truly insane with rage.

Should be illegal!!

IS there a published phone number for top level customer service at USPS? The number seems to be a well kept secret. I can't imagine why...
1 800-275-8777

Have your tracking number in hand. There is a trick to this. Be polite, be professional, do not assume. Present the facts you've found up to that point. Ask QUESTIONS, do not make STATEMENTS if you can avoid making a statement at all.

Example: "You want the tracking number? Sure thing, here it is, xxxxxxxx. What can we do since the tracking page says it has been delayed and that was 10 days ago?"

Here's what NOT to do: "You #$&#$ lost my @#@# package, I want you fired!"

One of these will get results, the other is counter productive.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, just curious how you guys ship big flashlights. I initially tried sending it in a 3M padded envelope from Walmart and the post office lady said it should be in a box. I ended up using a 3" diameter mailing tube from Office Depot. It was 36" long but I cut it in half and mailed the light in the resulting 18" long tube. The light was wrapped in bubble wrap. One way postage was $11.75.

The shipping spiel:
1. Is the packed weight under 13 oz? First class mail. USPS has no "dimensional weight" on FCM. That is to say, as long as it's under 13 oz, doesn't matter how big the box is. Understanding FCM will save you massive cash if you ship a lot of stuff. I am set up as a shipper and get a killer rate on FCM. 3oz or less, it's $2.04 any size. Insurance to $100 is .80 cents extra.

2. Is the packed weight over 13oz but under 4lbs? I go calculated priority mail. Flat rate boxes are a ripoff unless your shipping a solid block of metal or a box full of bolts or something like that. A 10"x7"x3" standard USPS box at one pound is $5.54 with a baseline $50 insurance included in that deal. Calculated priority mail DOES have dimensional weight. It's a double edged sword trying to pack in too small of a box. If the parts are less than 2" away from the side of the box, they can use that as an excuse not to pay insurance if they feel like it. Note that a 10x7x3 box CANNOT have the parts more than 2" from the side of the box.

3. Parcel Select. It's worth checking to see if you get a better rate or not by Parcel Select (slow boat) vs Calculated Priority Mail. In my experience, Parcel Select is not always cheaper. Often times with small packages, Priority can actually be cheaper (!?!?!?) than Parcel Select. As the weight goes up, Parcel Select usually becomes cheaper. Parcel Select has dimensional weight like Priority.

4. UPS. When the weight of the package exceeds 4lbs and is a large box, it's worth checking what the UPS rate is. When you go to the UPS store, you get the maximum screwing. They will not optimize anything. They'll throw it in whatever. They do not care. An actual UPS shipper can hand-pick just the right box, giving you insurance protection, parts not less than 2" from the side of the box, minimal additional dimensional weight fees and so forth. A UPS shipper pays less than what the UPS store will charge you to ship. A UPS shipper also receives money back at the end of the month (incentives) provided they didn't screw up and get hit with "adjustment" fees. This is how a UPS store works.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually if it is more than 4 pounds, Fedex Ground/Home is usually a better deal than UPS. Anyone can set up a FedEx account and get a discount, all you need is a credit card. On Transcontinental shipments FedEx is a day faster than UPS. In general Ground/Residential shipments either have to be handed over the a FedEx Ground Driver, or dropped off at FedEx shipping center. The drop boxes are only for Express services. Be aware that FedEx Ground/Residential drivers are Contractors, not FedEx Employees, and this can and sometimes does lead to service problems

The only way to get a good deal from UPS is to be contract customer with a scheduled pickup (and unlike FedEx, if you want a scheduled pickup from UPS, you are going to pay for it, EVERY WEEK, whether you use it or not). I will concede that the price per week does go down as the volume increases. My point is that if you are only an occasional shipper, FedEx is generally a better deal. I admit to getting highly pissed off at UPS because even though I was a contract customer they were picking up from a residence, so everything that came back to me was charged the residential delivery surcharge. From my perspective that stinks, because I was paying UPS a fee to come to my location EVERY day.

There are two things to look out for when using UPS or FedEx. Neither can deliver to Post Office boxes, and beware of Delivery Area Surcharges or DAS's. Both UPS and FedEx charge extra for deliveries 'off the beaten path', these extra charges are called Delivery Area Surcharges, and can wipe out any savings over USPS.

As for UPS stores. I'd avoid them like the plague. They are expensive, and in my experience, the service stinks. Two weeks ago I waited half an hour, to turn over an overnight letter with a prepaid label on it. I have even had a UPS store refuse to accept an ARS (Authorized Return Shipment) package, which is a package that has a prepaid return label. When I complained to UPS corporate, they said the store is independently owned and can set their own acceptance rules even though the shipper has a contract with UPS corporate to provide the service. So even if you go to a UPS Store there is no guarantee they will even accept the parcel with a valid UPS shipping label. By contrast UPS drivers are 'fair game'. They are required by UPS to accept almost anything that has a UPS shipping label on it.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I admit to getting highly pissed off at UPS because even though I was a contract customer they were picking up from a residence, so everything that came back to me was charged the residential delivery surcharge. From my perspective that stinks, because I was paying UPS a fee to come to my location EVERY day.
Sounds like they didn't set up your contract correctly. :(

AFAIK, you're supposed to lose residential status when you have daily pickup under contract.

The deal you get from FedEX and UPS vary wildly by your volume. They adjust your direct rates and increase your incentive cash back at the end of the month based on your volume.

As for UPS stores. I'd avoid them like the plague. They are expensive, and in my experience, the service stinks.
Agree 100%. Pack it yourself, generate a shipping label on the web with your account, drop it off at the UPS store and walk out. You don't necessarily NEED a daily pickup unless it's really convenient or you're doing enough volume where you don't care.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Have you ever witnessed a USPS mail carrier or a UPS delivery person smiling as they went about their daily grind? Think about doing their job day in and day out. Five days a week .... 50 weeks a year ..... Year after year ..... SSDD, but how could you tell? At least the carriers get to go outside; I can't imagine what it would be like to work in a sorting center. There's a reason for the poor service, the J O B is sucking their will to live.

~ Chance

All the time. Various ups fellas and the mailman are not walking around clicking their heels every 3rd step.
Yet are usually cheerful when greeted.

I've noticed when I click the free shipping button or with certain sellers the packaging is weak and takes a long time.

Yet most of the time when I pay for shipping or certain sellers the package arrives well taken care of and quickly. So me personally I don't get fretted with the shipper because in most cases it's the seller who sets the pace by the choice of shipping method they choose.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
a buyer sent me payment via usps priority with a tracking number.

tracking number says delivered at my mailbox at 10:35am. Look inside - nothing. Tell the buyer. He gets spooked, cancels the check.

5 days later usps delivers it to my door. what was supposed to take 2 days took a full week. and he paid for Priority. Never again.

paypal from now on.

Mental note: USPS can mark it delivered without actually delivering it.

markr6

Flashaholic
Meanwhile, I got another "Scheduled for early delivery" status from UPS. I love that!!

Wolfy1776

Newly Enlightened
My package has been listed as "picked up by shipping partner" for the last 3 days.
Last update showed it being picked up by shipping partner and it was less than an hour away. That was 3 days ago and still no package.

mattheww50

Flashlight Enthusiast
Shipping partner means the shipment is being transported from point of origin to the local Post office by UPS, DHL or FedEx. The general consensus is these 'hybrid' services combine the worst features of both carriers, and from my experience, I would have to concur. They save the shipper some money, they are significantly slower than either of the two carriers involved on their own, and tracking is a problem until the item reaches the local post office, or in the case of DHL, the local distribution center (who can and does mis handle, which is why FedEx and UPS deliver directly to the delivering Post Office).

markr6

Flashaholic
I've been doing a lot of small purchases on Amazon (Prime 2 day) lately. Order at 6PM Friday...mailman drops them off Sunday evening. SUNDAY!! Pretty slick. But I have a few Amazon warehouses nearby, so I guess that comes into play.

jsmn4vu

Newly Enlightened
I must be geographically blessed, living in a semi-rural suburban area. I've had numerous reasons to think, over the past several years, that the USPS service is better than it's ever been (and I've been using it since the days of 3-cent letters and penny postcards).

o Sunday delivery of packages
o Package tracking
o Packages brought to the door rather than getting a "pick it up at the PO" slip in the mailbox
o Next-day delivery of letters to a rural area about 100 miles north of here

There must be others; those are just the ones that come to mind. No complaints here, and I typically get 1-2 packages every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.