Dedicated throwers

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well like I said your going off of past experience where others here may not have that luxurary yet that might want to buy one of these lights. But as with any lights, there are hits and misses regardless of past performers. New models take the place of others that might not be as good.

Again all that some here want to see is some manual exposure say 1 to 1.4 sec shutter beamshots to compare against stock lights that aren't modded. Now if that is asking too much before one commits to buying then I guess I'm in the wrong place.

I will await the photos. We will let the pictures do the talking from here on out.

It is easy to parade and march in the streets with the soldiers after the battle has been won and not have been a soldier in that war yourself!

I have that "LUXURY" to be in a position to buy lights that I have researched thoroughly, and not "WASTE MY CASH".

When I or some other CPF member take some beam shots, don't forget they need the original and the modded version to do that and will you believe my shots are real or PhotoShopped or that I have used the correct procedure?

Why are you so negative about Saabluster and his game venture into setting up his own shop?

You probably want proof that his "ONLINE SHOP" is real as well.

He is very busy making the products and refining them constantly and it is not his job to do beam comparisons as he could "fudge" them as some would probably say, as he is the
Manufacturer.

Manufacturers rarely do beam shot comparisons!

Most manufacturers show you what a great beam comes out of their light, but it is never compared to other manufacturer's products as that could be called
slander.

It is the collective group that is CPF that rely on each other to do this and later on get some reviews by those that do it best.

It is my money that is going into being one of the earlier buyers, so what!

CHEERS

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regardless of your intent you have actually just stated that you don't think I am very bright. How am I meant to take that as anything but an insult?

Good one, I am glad some CPFers have some common sense and are not afraid to speak their mind.

I usually get into trouble for speaking my mind.

Thank You Rufus001.

CHEERS

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a moded TN31 and can't wait for it to arrive, but I too would like to see photos of the moded Fandyfire STL-V6.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
I have some yes but the color balance is way off. I need to redo them. This isn't the best time to do them due to the full moon but I'll try and get something up tonight.

Well that was posted on 9-02 by yours truly.

All I want to see is the photos. I personally want to buy one of these FandyFire STL-V6 for the price but want to see the photos before I take the plunge. No harm in that.

I would very much like to be a future customer. But not until I see some photos.

Now rip a person for wanting to see what was promised by the seller. Good grief.

And that is speaking my mind.

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't want this thread deteriorating into some sleazy slanging match, so let's just see what I or some other buyer of Saabluster's lights have to say about their "NOT VERY BRIGHT" purchase when it arrives and they have had time to evaluate it, OK!

Meanwhile there are plenty of other CPF members that are not interested in Saabluster's products as yet, so I want to hear from those CPF members with other brands and types of throwing lights and move on please.

CHEERS

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I prefer comparative beam shots by people not selling the lights. :D

I prefer them to be comparative, because a single shot, as mentioned, can be exposed in a non-representative fashion...by, two shots the same way of different lights at the same target are an easier comparison, even if not perfectly representing what the photographer saw that night...in that they are still able to be compared.

I really don't think the over exposures that get posted are done that way to mis-represent the light output. I believe that, from my own pics, its simply really a case of what the camera saw. It took me many tries to shoot pics that after they went from my camera to my desktop to flickr, to the screen on a forum....looked like what I saw that night.

It goes both ways too on exposures.

I've had pics of some beam shots where my EYES saw the targets clearly, my monitor showed what I saw....but when the pics were posted in the low resolution the site allows, the pics were black and the targets invisible.

I've had some where ambient lighting and/or shmootz in the air made the sky glow, or the beam shots all looked the same in the pics, but where different in real life, etc. Its HARD to recreate what you saw.

My camera loses F-stop if I zoom...so if I zoom to a target to show detail, it dims the pics, and zooming out brightens them, etc.

Roll it all together, and my solution is to just take the same pics for all the lights I'm comparing, do control shots of the same scenes with no flashlights...write down what I saw and didn't see, and make an attempt to have the control parts look the same, and the lit parts look like they did, and call it a day.

:D

Its never perfect, but its at least representative.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well that was posted on 9-02 by yours truly.

All I want to see is the photos. I personally want to buy one of these FandyFire STL-V6 for the price but want to see the photos before I take the plunge. No harm in that.

I would very much like to be a future customer. But not until I see some photos.

Now rip a person for wanting to see what was promised by the seller. Good grief.

And that is speaking my mind.

NO COMMENT FROM ME.

I WILL LET YOU DO ALL OF THE TALKING, I AM DONE WITH THE SUBJECT.

CHEERS

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS

Enlightened
I don't want this thread deteriorating into some sleazy slanging match, so let's just see what I or some other buyer of Saabluster's lights have to say about their "NOT VERY BRIGHT" purchase when it arrives and they have had time to evaluatete it, OK!

Meanwhile there are plenty of other CPF members that are not interested in Saabluster's products as yet, so I want to hear from those CPF members with other brands and types of throwing lights and move on please.

CHEERS

Well again your taking what I said way out of context. I could tell anyone I walked on water, but that don't make it so.

There are others here that want to see photos as well just like Michael said he would try and do on 9-02. But he has yet to do so. I'm sure he will. I'm hoping I will be blown away with the results.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well again your taking what I said way out of context. I could tell anyone I walked on water, but that don't make it so.

There are others here that want to see photos as well just like Michael said he would try and do on 9-02. But he has yet to do so. I'm sure he will. I'm hoping I will be blown away with the results.

JUST LEAVE IT BE PLEASE.

I HAVE MADE MY VIEW CRYSTAL CLEAR, OR ARE YOU JUST TRYING HARD TO BAIT ANOTHER FELLOW CPF MEMBER?

CHEERS

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much ado about a small thing...

and guess who is the common denominator everytime a thread gets hot?

Last edited:

MontanaMan

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps someone who can afford to spend over $100 on a flashlight on "faith" alone is very bright. So bright, they have become financially successful to the point where they can buy $100+ lights all day long and never even think twice about it. I'm not saying I'm one of those people, but I can afford to blow a few hundred dollars if the light doesn't live up to the hype. I have other throwers, and I'll be happy to do beam shot comparisons once I get the TN31 I have on order from OneStopThrowShop.com. The entire reason I purchased the modified TN31 was to see if it actually does out throw the Olight SR95UT. I'll also be happy to purchase a standard TN31 from goinggear or some other shop to do comparisons between the stock and modified versions. I know nothing about photography, but I bought a Cannon 7D a little while back, and I'm told it is a nice camera. I have a friend who is skilled with cameras, and I'll see if we can get something set up to show beam comparisons. With all the smoke here in Montana, the beams are highly visible. Don't know if that will help or hurt, but it looks cool.

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps someone who can afford to spend over $100 on a flashlight on "faith" alone is very bright. So bright, they have become financially successful to the point where they can buy $100+ lights all day long and never even think twice about it. I'm not saying I'm one of those people, but I can afford to blow a few hundred dollars if the light doesn't live up to the hype. I have other throwers, and I'll be happy to do beam shot comparisons once I get the TN31 I have on order from OneStopThrowShop.com. The entire reason I purchased the modified TN31 was to see if it actually does out throw the Olight SR95UT. I'll also be happy to purchase a standard TN31 from goinggear or some other shop to do comparisons between the stock and modified versions. I know nothing about photography, but I bought a Cannon 7D a little while back, and I'm told it is a nice camera. I have a friend who is skilled with cameras, and I'll see if we can get something set up to show beam comparisons. With all the smoke here in Montana, the beams are highly visible. Don't know if that will help or hurt, but it looks cool.

Can't wait to see them and all the other people's beamshots of these new lights. I also would love to see the modded Fandyfire and the SmallSun along with the TN31. Hope you guys get your lights soon!

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ordered a moded TN31 and can't wait for it to arrive, but I too would like to see photos of the moded Fandyfire STL-V6.

Just wait a little while and one of us CPF members will put up some beamshots.

Saabluster mods three products so far, so you would have to have the original light to make comparison shots otherwise how can you see what he has done or whether it is worth the extra money to buy one?

I have the original TN31 so when the modded version comes I can evaluate the modded one to my original TN31 and I will also post some comparison beam shots on here.

You will have to wait for another CPF member to do comparison shots of the Fandyfire STL-V6 as I do not have that light and I will probably (hopefully) be satisfied with the modded TN31.

CHEERS

Tatjanamagic

Enlightened
I don't doubt in Saabluster (well maybe 10-15% percent variations are possible as we don't have same light meters, or some measure highest peak lux readings while someone average)

He has flashlights for true throw fans and maybe beam looses a bit on its regular characteristic but that is not so important because it is all about throw when Saabluster takes things in his hand :)

Taking night picture is sci fiction for me but some members like Teej are taking good ones... But I also noticed variations in picture quality of some members so one member can take brighter beam picture and other one takes dimmer beam picture at similar distances so it is very hard to judge beam characteristic by forum picture and it will not be as good as your real life experience.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I don't doubt in Saabluster (well maybe 10-15% percent variations are possible as we don't have same light meters, or some measure highest peak lux readings while someone average)

He has flashlights for true throw fans and maybe beam looses a bit on its regular characteristic but that is not so important because it is all about throw when Saabluster takes things in his hand :)

Taking night picture is sci fiction for me but some members like Teej are taking good ones... But I also noticed variations in picture quality of some members so one member can take brighter beam picture and other one takes dimmer beam picture at similar distances so it is very hard to judge beam characteristic by forum picture and it will not be as good as your real life experience.

Real life is ALWAYS BEST.

I DO try hard to take representative pics...but even at the same location, on a different night, the crap in the air and ambient lighting might make it LOOK different to my eye and not JUST the camera....so I can have pics of the same light that show something different in the same scene. That IS real life. Its also why I always try to use as many lights in a set as possible. It increases the odds of you HAVING one of them to use as a yardstick, so you can say...OK, MY XYZ does look like that....and this other one IS brighter, or dimmer, or shines further than the one I have, etc.

Some people go to CPF Marketplace...and do "catch and release".

That means they try a light, just to try it, and then sell it....and use the $ to try another one, rinse/repeat.

I have to say I'm not really much of an early adopter. I WILL wait to see what TurboBB, HJK, Selfbuilt, etc, say about a light, weight the specs and what I NEED to do what I do...vs what I WANT to do what I do, vs what I can AFFORD, and so forth.

Sometimes, I see something that's just a smidgen better for a task than what I have....and it will make me CRAZY knowing I could have a better tool for the job....if i were willing to shell out another few hundred bucks. MOST of the time, I'll just BE crazy, and suck it up....and wait for a less incremental improvement. Sometimes, a used version will pop up, solving the dilemma. :D

If you have the patience...you could simply wait for others to do a catch and release of the light you think you might want....and catch it yourself when they release it.

You could also go to the various flashaholic gatherings...and SEE some of these lights, play with them, see them shining around with other lights, etc....and really get a feel for what you're looking for/at.

Real life also lets you see something hard to show in a pic....the durability and feel of a light.

In pics, a light might look tough, but you can't really tell unless you throw it at something.

A guy had a fairly bright light that he was comparing to my Klarus XT11 when we we at a construction site. He said he thought his light was just as tough as the XT11. We were up on scaffolding over a concrete floor at the time, and I said "Are you willing to bet on it?"

He said he would, and I lit and threw the XT11 off the scaffold, it landed, still lit....and sat there shining. I then said "Your turn".

He didn't throw his so much as try to drop it from as low a point as possible...and it shattered on impact in a rather satisfying way anyway.

I told him to keep the $ and buy a real light. :D

A PIC doesn't show that a light will be able to survive....just how purdy it is.

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on guys. Is all this really necessary? We are all friends here. Let's keep it that way. ;) There were several things that have delayed the arrival of pictures. Lights showing up later than expected, my feeling ill, and weather conditions. It has been been rainy and cloudy here recently. I want the photos to be as good as I can get them and decided early on to not go out on days that are cloudy as the lights here in the city bounce back and artificially light up the area. The shots need to be as consistent and realistic as I can get them. I have never ever exaggerated any shot I have ever shown here on CPF. If anything I have done the opposite. I know I could most certainly bring in a few more sales in the near term by posting pictures that were over exposed but in the end people will find out what these lights do. My reputation is worth far more to me than selling lights.

Is it really so that those who have bought thus far have purchased on faith? Yes and No. To be certain anytime you purchase a new light from anyone including Surefire you are placing a certain amount of faith in the manufacturer. Even if you have already seen reviews from fellow forum members when it comes down to it and you press the button you are putting faith in the company that they will deliver the same quality as what was delivered to the other members. The idea put forward in this thread is that it was faith because there have been no beamshots provided. Is that really true? So there was no data supplied? I would argue that the most important quantitative aspect has already been given. The actual measurement of LUX/cd! This is the single most important spec for a thrower and yet some would like to gloss over that and focus on beamshots.

Does a beamshot confirm in any way that the quoted candela is accurate? No it does not. Pictures are notoriously inaccurate around here. Not necessarily because people are trying to deceive either. It is simply extremely difficult to get shots that appear on screen as they do in person. I am not going to say that pictures aren't important at all but you have to understand what the most important metric is and that is actual measured performance. That I do provide and the pictures will be coming as soon as conditions allow.

Now you could also have issue with the candela figures I provide right? Every setup is different so it is hard to make accurate comparisons when many people here have vastly different setups. I believe I have a highly accurate setup which I have honed over the years. In an effort to help people understand the significance of the modded numbers I provide I have added in a variance number to help people see the range of performance to be expected. I have also published the typical performance numbers for the lights as stock. What this allows you to do is calculate what the modded light might do on your setup. If you notice that my stock number is 5% higher than what you get with the same stock light then you could calculate that the modded number may have a similar 5%. I believe this is a fair and open way to present the figures. This is only possible where a statistically significant sample size is available of course. The numbers posted for the TN31 for instance do not have that as yet as there was not a sample size large enough to get those figures. When I am done with the modding and testing the numbers in full will be posted.

In addition to this I will be from here on out shipping each light with a "certificate of performance" to show the actual measured candela of your light. This way you know exactly what you have.

So indeed I think it fair to say that those who have purchased are, with the supplied data and taking into consideration my reputation, ahead of the curve. Bravo to you. To those who want to wait to hear the first reports back from the wild I understand how you feel. But know that I do not bias my reports to you here. I am first and foremost a flashaholic. I didn't come to CPF to make a buck I came here because I love lights. I started making lights not because I wanted to make money but because people here asked me to and I love the craft. It has always been that way and will always be that way.

Please note that I will be starting a new thread for the TN31 and other lights in my new forum here on CPF. Look in the CPF Custom Flashlight Builders and Modders section.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Real life is ALWAYS BEST.

Some people go to CPF Marketplace...and do "catch and release".

That means they try a light, just to try it, and then sell it....and use the $ to try another one, rinse/repeat.

I have to say I'm not really much of an early adopter. I WILL wait to see what TurboBB, HJK, Selfbuilt, etc, say about a light, weight the specs and what I NEED to do what I do...vs what I WANT to do what I do, vs what I can AFFORD, and so forth.

Sometimes, I see something that's just a smidgen better for a task than what I have....and it will make me CRAZY knowing I could have a better tool for the job....if i were willing to shell out another few hundred bucks. MOST of the time, I'll just BE crazy, and suck it up....and wait for a less incremental improvement. Sometimes, a used version will pop up, solving the dilemma. :D

If you have the patience...you could simply wait for others to do a catch and release of the light you think you might want....and catch it yourself when they release it.

You could also go to the various flashaholic gatherings...and SEE some of these lights, play with them, see them shining around with other lights, etc....and really get a feel for what you're looking for/at.

I guess having a TN31 that throws like crazy and can just about keep up with my Olight SR90 makes me wonder how anyone could improve on what I already have.

MY TN31 throws a brilliant bright white light with the fully driven U2 LED in it.

I just want to see the modded one and compare mine with the modded one myself.

If the modded one is better in my opinion I will probably sell my original TN31.

If not I will sell the modded one and buy an Olight SR95UT as I already have spare battery packs for the SR90 and they are interchangeable which is a plus.

In Australia we don't have any really good beam throwing sessions with a group as we are only a small Country compared to the US and other places.

CHEERS

TEEJ

Flashaholic
This might be heresy, but, frankly, as cd are only measured at the hottest hot spot, and then throw is calculated out to the magical 0.25 lux range...I DO like more info for throw, IF the throw is to be USED for something.

IE: A laser beam might have super duper cd ratings...but really SUCK for long range searches....the spot of light is just too small.

If the cd was supplemented by a measurement of the beam angle, and perhaps a standard comparison range, maybe 500-800 meters or something...to provide the width of that 0.25 (Or whatever) lux spot of light at that range...THEN I might not want or least need pics.

If the throw is just for fun, well, back to the laser pointer beam patterns to get great range for the sake of claiming the longest throw, etc....and don't worry about what you'd SEE at that range.

That said, Saabluster is a god of lux.

Last edited:

CamoNinja

Enlightened
The actual measurement of LUX/cd! This is the single most important spec for a thrower and yet some would like to gloss over that and focus on beamshots.

Does a beamshot confirm in any way that the quoted candela is accurate? No it does not. Pictures are notoriously inaccurate around here. Not necessarily because people are trying to deceive either. It is simply extremely difficult to get shots that appear on screen as they do in person. I am not going to say that pictures aren't important at all but you have to understand what the most important metric is and that is actual measured performance. That I do provide and the pictures will be coming as soon as conditions allow.

So true.