Defiant flashlights from Home Depot

lightknot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot . It was a lot of fun to build, and the host is very easy to take apart, with lots of room to modify. Also the battery tube is long enough to allow for many different battery configurations.

pathalogical

Enlightened
Yesterday at my local HD (Toronto) I saw these Defiant lights. The first one that caught my eye was the D-cell at about 480 lm, then I saw the 3C cell. Although the price is low, they just seem to big. I have a PA 40 at pretty much the same output. They also had a 2 pack 2 AA ~110 lm version as well, which seems more conveniant for every day use. This is the first time I have seen these lights and are generally in a particular part of the store where they have these multi set tools or are labled "Special Buy". They also have Coast knives; single pack, 2 pack and larger partially serated blades. Now, I'll have to go back for their plier set at $8.88. http://www.homedepot.ca/product/hdx-8pc-pliers-set/813951

EDIT: Having returned to HD, they do not have a D-cell version. It was the Super Thrower with the larger head, next to the regular 3C cell light, but no 5C cell as shown in this thread...but I did pick this up http://www.coastportland.com/eal15-led-lantern.htm for $12.97 and is quite nice. Runs on 4C cell.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeehaw the Defiant Super Thrower is now in Edmonton :D
i got him and his little 3 c cell brother
null-24.jpg

Best Monday of 2013 :thumbsup:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the 3D Defiant for a couple weeks and will do a XPG2 swap in mine. Hopefully I get 2.8A.
I will have a new Lux Meter to test before and after results.

bigC

gregorma

Newly Enlightened
Just picked this bad boy up today, we'll see how it does tonight.

Defiant Tactical 5C 625 Lumen ($24):
Tactical5C625Lumens_zps3d00c3eb.jpg

2-Pack Tactical AA 120 Lumen ($15):
IMG_1059_zps7eb30f7e.jpg

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
That 5C light looks AWESOME! I'm going to have to check my local Home Depot today to see if they have it. It kind of reminds me in some ways of a 5C Mag. And I've always REALLY liked the big C cell Mags. It also looks like it might be a good candidate for a NiMH MT-G2 upgrade.

JNieporte

Enlightened
My local Home Depot just got the two-pack of 2AA "Tactical 120 lumen LED" in. The mother-in-law had me buy three of them to break up for Father's Day gifts, so I got to play with them a little bit. There were some problems though...
-All of the lights had a very loose pocket clip. The clip is also about 1/3 of the way down the light (gregorma's photo shows this). No amount of gently squeezing with pliers fixed this.
-They all have a thin aluminum body and the cheap, plastic press-fitted switch in the tailcap.
-Not a problem, but to mention: Plastic lens, plastic OP reflector. The LED is quite large, and I thought it was an XM-L at first. The head unscrews, and the pill says CREE over KM. The LEDs were all centered nicely.
-The tailcap is a reverse clicky, and modes are high, low, and strobe. High is listed at 120 lumens. I got 140 lumens on high, 60 lumens on low, and 140 lumens at 10Hz on strobe. There is no mode memory; the light reverts to high if left off for over five seconds, no matter how long you had it on.
-The anti-roll is five flats machined into the body, and it works just fine.
-The tailcap has four slots machined in for lanyard attachment. Nice.
-None of the lights had any kind of lubricant on the O-rings or threads.
1. Light #1 was fine.
2. Light #2 had no O-rings and the tailcap threads were too shallow; the threads on the body were very thin and I had to return the light, as the tailcap would just "pop" on. It was returned.
3. Light #3 would not turn on. Returned.
4. Light #4 had this anomaly where a click on would turn it on and even cycle through the modes, but as soon as I took my thumb off, it would "unclick" and shut the light off. This turned out to be a switch issue, as changing around the tailcaps made the light work. It still resulted in one of the lights being inoperable, so it was returned.
5. Light #5 had the same thread issues as light #2. Returned.
6. Light #6 had no O-rings, but was otherwise fine.

Not a very good record for these new lights. I returned the defective ones, and was allowed to hand-pick enough out of new packages that I wound up with six working ones. I can't imagine the associates were very happy with me, but they sold the defective product, not me.

If you get working lights, they're good. Not great, but good. I think a fair price for these would be in the $10 range; Defiant used to have a two-pack of single-mode 3AAA 100-lumen lights that turned out to put out about 190 lumens. Those were $10 for the two-pack. Those were very nice for the money. (Link here... http://www.homedepot.com/p/2-Pack-100-Lumens-LED-Flashlights-HD12OTB14/203278149 )
The issues with these newer ones, and even the feel of the lights, just screams "cheap".

Last edited:

YAK-28

Enlightened
stopped in my local home depot to look for the new defiant 5c light. didn't see them in the flashlight section(did find a couple plano waterproof boxes 1/2 the price of some other well known boxes/cases for batteries and things), but i found a display of them in the main isle. nice single speed, inexpensive. not as bright of a center spot as the 3c thrower, but more spill. happy camper. already used it find a dripping line feeding the toilet.

VEE12

Newly Enlightened
Finally I see these Defiant lights here in BC! It's been asked before and since these lights can be opened up easily, does anyone know if they are regulated? Particularly the 3C light. I'm not holding my breath. I'm tired of lights that have a blast of lumens for 10 minutes and then start to dim :(

arioch

Enlightened
The sku# for the 5c is 736 392.
For those wanting to change out the LED, the head on the 5c does NOT come off; appears to be glued on.

The new 3c model in my store has lowered its lumen rating to 200 from 550. The head is larger and it comes with a removable rubber anti roll head cover. It appears to be the new version of the original 3c model and not the super thrower 3c, which is also still being sold.

YAK-28

Enlightened
thanks for the sku#. i did get a 5c and the head on mine did come off with a little effort. it didn't look like they used much glue on mine.

gregorma

Newly Enlightened
Defiant Tactical 5C 625 Lumen ($24):
Defiant5Cell_zpsa1a0f62f.jpg

2-Pack Tactical AA 120 Lumen ($15):
Defiant_zpsb6fadd40.jpg

I like both for the price. The 120 Lumens are for around the house and in the car. The 5C is the beat stick for intruders.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did I just get unlucky? Or is the 5C Defiant not as bright as the 3C?

Last edited:

JasonC8301

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was at HD yesterday and saw he single aa light. Aprox 50 lumens or so? 7.97. I was about to buy I when I saw the 2AA tactical 2 pack for 14.98. I went ahead and bought it. It rung up at 11.98. Not bad to keep around as loaner lights.

Sucks you got some bad product JNieporte. The two I go seem ok. Just need some nyogel on threads.