DEFT-X OMG Strikes Back!!!

hikingman

Enlightened
Thanks, Lux, for your 10K post, which I found very balanced and thoughtful. After all, we really do want a win-win here: We get lights and Saab gains with these achievements.

I'll be honest in that I have toyed with asking out, but only in the sense that up coming in a couples weeks or so are travels I won't do again for awhile. So, since I don't even know YET if I'm even in the first batch, I've considered the TN31mb. But unfortuately, he hasn't answered any of 4 attempts over a month's time to reach him to find out anything. That has disappointed me greatly.

I really want the Deft-X, but the "when will it be" is what it is all about for me personally right now.

I do feel sorry for you guys who are waiting on this flashlight still. I ordered one of the first TN31 mods from OSTS and had to wait a little, but is was worth the wait.
The delay on the DEFT-X is far greater than I had, so I can see your problem. I do agree that more regular posts about the wait would be nice to have. I am really on the fence about buying the DEFT-X, I have no doubt that what you will all recieve will be simply amazing, and I think we all know that, but I am glad that I have not placed an order yet.

One thing that was mildly annoying about my TN31 purchase was that it was updated with double the lux for the same money in what felt a very short while after I had it. I'm not sure if I could send it back for an upgrade to the new LED?

I would hate to pay $600, plus delivery, plus customs fees only to find an updated model with more lux is soon out. I know that new tech is coming out all the time and this is how it all works but as much as I would like to, I simply can't afford to replace what to me is a large purchase so soon after buying it. But saying all that, let's all remember that we are talking about a fellow flashaholic with a particular talent for throw, producing these from his home with help from family members.

Last edited:

Dmitriyrus

Newly Enlightened
If I remember correctly he had to invest a considerable amount of money to rework the building process to deal with the high order volume.

Which is nice of him since he probably put a good amount of his profit back into getting us our lights quicker.

Very often I read this thread ...
Gosh, how many times I have wanted to pay. But I did not do it.
Sorry, but I'm not the creditor, and I'm not an investor
I - the buyer
If Michael wants to build a small plant, it must take the credit.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Damn, its Like Albert was logged into Lux's account. :D He's saying what Albert said, only without insulting people. And with a dog in the fight.

scout24

Flashaholic
I am patiently waiting, along with the rest of you... :) I agree heartily with Lux about this being my last prepay EVER. I have no doubt the Deft X will be here soon, and will be groundbreaking. I just don't personally need the wait. I love the idea of supporting our talented builders and modders, having done so since my first week here at CPF. I'll continue to do so. I have sat waiting for three projects recently that all ran 6+ months. One was a voluntary pre-pay, I put a money order in the box with my light, so that one's on me... :) I'll continue to purchase and enjoy custom work, but may have to step back from being an early adopter.

Husker

Enlightened
People have short memories, the next great - best in class __?__ comes out with a get in line with a prepay if you want it because may only be a one run or whatever, people will be all over it, for fear they may miss out or that human emotion of having to be 1st kicks in.

hikingman

Enlightened
I swear to God that this is the last pre-pay CPF project I will ever do. I said that after the last one...but have always held a special respect for Michael.

+ Infinity!

But I could see paying a reasonable percentage down, to cover parts acquisition and some development costs. But, as I said earlier, handing everything over (profits and all) in advance, kills incentive. That "hunger" to finish the job to get your profit is now gone. Of course, good people with integrity like Saab will still get the job done, but from the buyer's perspective, it's best to leave a little "hunger" in the equation.

Dave

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Mike!

:D

My own view of the entire process is that it IS a process, and, sure, we're ALL anxious to get the light, but I don't really NEED constant updates without a milestone/IE: Constant reassurance that he's still going to eventually finish.

I KNOW he'll finish, and send the lights out.

I do see a lot of "Are we there yet? How much longer? I have to pee!" comments coming from the back seat as we travel to that final destination though.

So while I don't begrudge others their whining from the back seat, or even their predictions that if its taken X long, it is therefore never going to arrive, etc..., I don't, for myself, need to keep asking how much longer, etc.

I DO want to know of course. I just don't think asking will change anything.

TEEJ you are spot on. This is a process. I think maybe I should reconsider trying to do the micro runs of cast parts which is one of the hardest parts about this.

I think everyone of us has demonstrated extraordinary patience waiting for the DEFT-X but I'm going to have to agree with hikingman here. I don't think any of us could have predicted this time frame but I think it would of been in Michaels best interests to iron out all wrinkles with the light before announcing the light on this forum and getting us all in a frothing mess.

Everyone has been extraordinarily patient and I am very thankful. I didn't predict it would take this long either. Clearly. It was put out a little sooner than I had intended in the first place though. I was pressured to release it before I was totally ready because a certain entity wanted to show the light at CES. Still my fault. I shouldn't have succumbed. To show my appreciation for everyone's patience I am going to be including an extra light along with the DEFT-X when it ships. Shipping starts tomorrow:)

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the update Michael and for making us great lights to enjoy using and showing off....Robert

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I placed another call to Michael, which again went into his answering machine. In the past when I have called him at various times, he answered the phone.
My message again stressed the simple steps he needs to take to avert a building storm.

Especially menacing is my dog....but I wouldn't call this a fight. Rather it is "Cool Hand Luke-ism."

Scottie-7-2008-2.jpg

Noticing Saab's post just made while I was composing--see how easy it was to resolve the storm. Perhaps my phone call just before this post did prompt his communication. It is an important lesson, and I don't regret my last few posts and phone messages.

Edit: Michael just returned my call, and we had a nice "fireside chat." Bottom line for me now--I will be thrilled to receive the Deft-X. I will likely make future purchases from Saabluster, just no more pre-pay projects.

One thing that we discussed was his feeling the need to respond to the ongoing barage of posts we crank out (most because of Teej :whistle: ), and not being able to do that right. I suggested to him as a mod in this sub-forum that he maked a pinned, locked, "Project Updates" type thread where only he goes in and posts status messages.

Last edited:

StudFreeman

Enlightened
I've followed this thread off and on for the past 6 months.

Wish I had the patience and bux to drop on a DEFT-X. I reckon you all are in for something special-post plenty of beamshots.

Husker

Enlightened
To show my appreciation for everyone's patience I am going to be including an extra light along with the DEFT-X when it ships. Shipping starts tomorrow:)
Well you just made my day I can't wait for the deft plus the surprise light.

hikingman

Enlightened
Thanks Michael for the update and I bet some of the first recipients are gonna sleep well tonight with Deft-X's flying over the bed posts. Thanks Lux for your roll as a "gentle prodder". I still have no idea if I will get a light before my travels in a few weeks, but I want it and will wait patiently some more.

Dave

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Thanks Michael for the update and I bet some of the first recipients are gonna sleep well tonight with Deft-X's flying over the bed posts. Thanks Lux for your roll as a "gentle prodder". I still have no idea if I will get a light before my travels in a few weeks, but I want it and will wait patiently some more.

Dave

Maybe in a couple days, try calling Michael. He may know more once he gets into payment/shipping records. He has always been a very humble, nice guy.

sbbsga

Enlightened
The wait is bearable for me. Since Michael has invested so much into upgrading his facilities for speedier production and safety, I knew the delivery is an eventuality. I take it as pledging for a Kickstarter project, only without the specified time frame.

Thank you again for the update Michael.

jsholli

Newly Enlightened
While I also appreciate the update, I almost feel that I should apologize for not posting earlier about the perceived influence of Wavien... I had long suspected that they were either pushing for absolute perfection or were otherwise influencing the release somehow. I work for a large LLC and am familiar with buck-passing and marginally unfair and unreasonable expectations and deadlines. I didn't want to add to the tension nor muddy the water with my theories.

I do hope that everyone has a renewed patience threshold. But, I also urge the first wave of recipients to post gratuitous beam shots ;)

John