Dereelight DBS V2 R2! WOW!

MstrHnky

Enlightened
Those exact conditions are where the R2 WH will outclass the Q5 WC. Reduction in perceived glare through inclement weather conditions and increased sensitivity to the tint spectrum in lit conditions is why the R2 WH is the better choice for those who seek LED lighting in such environments. Color rendition at a distance is also improved over the Q5 WC as the Q5 WC offers most objects a washed out, gray cast down field. Providing equal, or greater output than an equally driven Q5 WC, the Deerelight R2 WH is a pill which seems to have taken on a number of detractors these days. Yet when faced with field use in weather and/or in lit conditions, the advantages of the R2 WH become obvious.

you guys are making it very difficult to decide which pill i want (WC Q5 or WH R2).

outside beam shots will really be the deciding factor. if the color rendition is more accurate with the WH tint and it lights up object farther than WC, i may just opt for the R2 WH for my first light, and if i'm not happy with it, upgrade to an R5 with WC down the road.

i have a feeling i will not be dissapointed whichever pill i choose.

keep the pics and opinions coming!

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those exact conditions are where the R2 WH will outclass the Q5 WC.

Have you tried a WC tint and WH tint in such conditions? :)

I did get out last night and it was foggy/misty out. I have a R2 WG and R2 RH in my DBS's. The beams were pretty much identical, the WG was cooler, the WH warmer, but they appeard to cut through the fog about the same. If I had to give it to one or the other, the WH may have lit up the target only slightly better.

I thought it was determined on CPF that it was more about the shape of the beam, than the color of light.

I will say I love the WH tint on my R2's, in my DBS and CL1H. For around the house it just looks more natural to me. It's been wet here so I still have to do more out door comparisions, but from what I saw I liked what the WH was doing.

I've yet to see anything that makes be prefer a WC over a WH, I find the WH better in every situation so far. Maybe my eyes just like the warmer tint. :)

Vinnie

Newly Enlightened
Just got my DBS V2 R2 today , waiting for night fall to give it a shot agaist my Tiablo A9 Q5 and Fennix T1. The Tiablo holster fits the DBS V2 perfectly and comes with 2 spare battery compartments. I quess I have to order a camo one to go with the black holster so I don't get confused when in a hurry. :thumbsup:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried a WC tint and WH tint in such conditions?
But of course
smile.gif
. Steady rain in the Los Angeles basin the week I received the R2 left me with no other choice but to compare the 1S Q5 WC vs. 1S R2 WH and 3SD Q5 WC vs. 3SD RH in such conditions. From misty mornings though bouts of heavier rainfall, the R2 WH proved its case time and time again.

I thought it was determined on CPF that it was more about the shape of the beam, than the color of light.
Correct in the sense that the shape of the beam will determine how well output is projected to cut through what is ahead. But what also needs to be factored in is the fact that in inclement weather conditions involving water droplets, the bright blue/white tint of the WC gets reflected back as bright blue/white backscatter, or glare. The warm, yellow tint of the RH provides for a reduction in blue backscatter, and thus a reduction in perceived glare.

Last edited:

MstrHnky

Enlightened
Correct in the sense that the shape of the beam will determine how well output is projected to cut through what is ahead. But what also needs to be factored in is the fact that in inclement weather conditions involving water droplets, the bright blue/white tint of the WC gets reflected back as bright blue/white backscatter, or glare. The warm, yellow tint of the RH provides for a reduction in blue backscatter, and thus a reduction in perceived glare.

this is true. when i was looking at upgrading my stock headlights (hi/lo/fog) i read that having a yellow tinted fog light would increase visibility.

still, i'm thinking that the majority of my flashlight use will be during dry conditions, so this doesn't bother me. but if i can get farther throw with the R2 WH and better colors, i might go for it.

layzieyez

Newly Enlightened
I think you'll only have problems deciding on which pill to order first. Once you have a DBS, it's far too easy to think, "Hmm. . .I guess I'll try out this pill for my light." Next thing you know, you're ordering additional pills. Well played, Alan. I wish all of my lights were modular (without having to bring out a soldering iron amongst other tools). For the price of ordering pizza for my family, I can have a new, high quality led in my favorite light. Too easy.

Strauss

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got my DBS V2 R2 today , waiting for night fall to give it a shot agaist my Tiablo A9 Q5 and Fennix T1. The Tiablo holster fits the DBS V2 perfectly and comes with 2 spare battery compartments. I quess I have to order a camo one to go with the black holster so I don't get confused when in a hurry. :thumbsup:

Any update yet? I am interested in how it compares with your Tiablo A9 Q5 as I have an A9 Q5 and have a DBS 3SD V2 with the R2 pill on the way!

Vinnie

Newly Enlightened
Comparing V2 R2 Vs A9 Q5 Both these lights are real nice and throw about equal. I like the feel of the heavier DBS better. The DBS R2 does better in wooded and nature setting such as Woods,Trails,Lakes ,fog, rain. The Tiablo Q5 performs better around the house and in the streets for lighting up building or alley ways. DBS V2 is a more yellow tint, while Q5 is whiter. I was running AW18650 batteries in DBS and Aw rcr123 In Tiablo. I order another Tiablo holster to use for my DBS and it fits perfectly and has extra battey compartments. I quess when heading out in the woods I crap DBS R2 and around town Tiablo A9. Both Led lights have different uses and glad I have both. :twothumbs

Patriot

Flashaholic
So Wade, what is the "top dog" thrower that you now own in that category of lights? I kinda consider you and StefanFS as a couple of the throw authorities at CPF .

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
So Wade, what is the "top dog" thrower that you now own in that category of lights? I kinda consider you and StefanFS as a couple of the throw authorities at CPF .

According to my LUX meter my Dereelight DBS v2 with a 3SD R2 WH pill. My Raidfire does around 25,000LUX, where the DBS v2 3SD R2 WH is around 28,000+.

In real life there isn't a lot of difference between them when you are using them out doors. I figure on a perfectly clear night you might notice one illuminating something a tad more than the other, but they are all pretty close. The DBS v2 is my favorite as far as the built quality, the way it feels, operates, etc. I can easily clip it into my left front jeans pocket to carry it around.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
and which would that be? :huh:

That would be the DBS since it has a higher LUX reading than the Raidfire, as well as a tighter beam.

I also discovered if a lux measurement is taken at say 3 meters, rather than 1 meter, the difference between the DBS and Raidfire is even more in the DBS's favor. At one meter most of the hot spot is hitting the light sensor with the Raidfire and DBS. Go out 3 meters and the Raidfire's hot spot is noticeably larger than the DBS's hot spot. The DBS maintains a tighter and more intense hot spot.

Think about it this way, you have two lights, one has a tight beam and throws, one is total flood, but they have the same lumens. If you put the lens of each flashlight against the lux meter's sensor so all of the light hits it, each flashlight should give the same reading. Move them back 1 meter and the light set up to throw will have a higher lux reading than the light that is set up for flood.

My theory is that 1 meter is too close to properly measure these throwers because the beam hasn't had time to mature (the hot spot is still too small).

In my one test the % difference in lux was greater between the Raidfire and DBS at a distance of 3 meters, than it was at 1 meter.

So if we measured the latest and greatest Tiablo, MRV, Raidfire, DBS, etc, at 3 meters, we may see more of a difference between them than we do measuring them at 1 meter.

lightforce2

Enlightened
My theory is that 1 meter is too close to properly measure these throwers because the beam hasn't had time to mature (the hot spot is still too small).

In my one test the % difference in lux was greater between the Raidfire and DBS at a distance of 3 meters, than it was at 1 meter.

So if we measured the latest and greatest Tiablo, MRV, Raidfire, DBS, etc, at 3 meters, we may see more of a difference between them than we do measuring them at 1 meter.

Yes, my thoughts too! but why not go out to 100 meters or further to measure lux? after all these lights are "longe range throwers" wouldn't this show up any real differences between these lights?

I'm interested in a DBS if its noticably brighter at 100m to 200m than a Tiablo A9 Q5-WC but I don't see any point making a judgement based on 1 meter comparisents, any thoughts on this?

TITAN1833

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used both DBS and SPEAR in real life,I found the DBS a better thrower period.Hence I sold my SPEAR to get another Dereelight :twothumbssorry spear owners,but the DBS is still king IMO :devil: don't get me wrong the spear is a great light, DBS killer never.

redbird

Enlightened
I would like to order the light being discussed here. But, I am totally confused about which to select with all the options shown on the web site.

Could someone please clarify this for me on which to order. I had considered the Raidfire but have settled on the Dereelight DBS V2 R2.

Thanks

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, my thoughts too! but why not go out to 100 meters or further to measure lux?

Well, that would require someone to assist me in holding a lux meter at that distance and recording the results. :)

I don't think we need to test that fart, 3-5 meters should be far enough for the hot spots to be large enough to take a fair reading between them.

Latest posts