Designing an LED flashlight for Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
The clip looks great. How much more expensive would it be to machine if the base tapered to a more moderate clip width? This should help avoid overwhelming the beautifully machined body.

jashhash

Enlightened
I'm going to talk to my machinist today about pricing and see if I can get a sample of this clip knocked out in titanium. The clip looks overwhelming in that view because of the perspective but I think from other views it looks correctly proportioned.

Front view

Side view

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent! I like the two mounting screw holes and the titanium clip looks really nice! Looking forward to this project and hope we can get it off the ground as I would love one of these lights.

rickyro

Enlightened
I prefer the clip design in post #263 much more than that in #283.

reasons:
1. 263 design is very smart having a very high position so that when clipped in the pocket the whole light can be hidden
2. the new design is too wide at the top, make it not so pocket friendly or not so friendly in the palm

By the way, both design need to add one extra small round hole above that long slot so that key-chain ring can be installed there if needed.

4rmless

Newly Enlightened
I also hugely prefer the stamped clip. It looks to me like it wins on a few points:

1. Cheaper to produce.
2. Easier 3rd party clip compatibility (just make the spacing and threads match Convoy/McGizmo or whatever)
3. Lower profile, it clearly sits flatter to the flashlight body.
4. Deeper carry, the fold over from the top design looks great, would allow the light to sit low in your pocket.

The flat design also gives space for your logo if you wanted it.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also hugely prefer the stamped clip. It looks to me like it wins on a few points:

1. Cheaper to produce.
2. Easier 3rd party clip compatibility (just make the spacing and threads match Convoy/McGizmo or whatever)
4. Deeper carry, the fold over from the top design looks great, would allow the light to sit low in your pocket.

not to mention the way its angles on the light will give the clip some "springy-ness". the machined clip seems like it would have no give to it.

nimdabew

Enlightened

1. Cheaper to produce.

This. A titanium clip similar to this would be awesome. Tenatively sign me up for one of the stainless versions.

http://darksucks.com/store DS_PreonClip.html

gunga

Flashaholic
If there is a tailcap on the light, a preon style clip could certainly work. You would need to ensure the circuit is still complete with the clip installed though. I'm glad we are exploring this.

onthebeam

Enlightened
It might be the angle, but this latest clip design is not as aesthetically pleasing to my eye compared to the beautiful look of the version in post 263. Although clearly a possibly more functional approach, it has a tougher look, overdominating the stunning design of this innovative flashlight visually worthy of display in the Museum of Modern Art.

I wouldn't put this amazing flashlight on my belt. Of course, if it could morph into a flashlight/belt buckle combination, I might just change my tune!

Last edited:

bjt3833

Newly Enlightened
I prefer #263's clip also. It definitely looks more springy for all the various pocket thickness on pants from the super thin cargo to a reinforced front denim pocket.

gunga

Flashaholic
3mm holes, 7mm center to center is the spacing on the ti and steel clone clips. It will fit McGizmo but will leave gaps in the centre. Maybe doing McGizmo spacing and size is better? 4-40 bolts. Other sizes not measured yet.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I will not be using the clip. Start this thing up before the clip debate adds another month! :D

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
Most people will be using the clip. I like the milled design but would be stoked if I could put a mcgizmo clip on it per Gunga's suggestion.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most people will be using the clip. I like the milled design but would be stoked if I could put a mcgizmo clip on it per Gunga's suggestion.
Not sure what most people will do and why I could only speak for myself. Been a long time since I've seen anyone clipping their light to their pocket.

gunga

Flashaholic
Eh?I guess you don't see me every day. Since you are doing tapped holes anyways, why not just do it to fit a McGizmo clip and also offer your own design. Then people can buy your clip with the option to use a McGizmo or equivalent. I can measure my clip if it helps.

Edit: also note that your clip has bolts drilled straight in. Aftermarket clips will need the holes on the light radius (ie. curve).

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Here is some info I got for a 1" (25mm) light, drilled to be compatible with McGizmo style clips.

The screws are 4-40. There are 26 degrees between the holes on the .990" OD (if using rotary table). It looks to be about .225" from center to center at 25mm. On that diameter (20mm), the distance between centers will be .178".

The drill size for a 4-40 cutting tap is a #43 drill or a 3/32. If you use a forming tap, it's a #39 or around .099"

It would be nice to use these measurements to allow for ti McGizmo bolts, but it need not be exactly that since the clips have wide slots with some leeway.

Last edited:

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I love this light so far! It looks pretty awesome- I'm a sucker for standard size and Li-Ion support in one package, and the modes look good.

For the lower levels without tritium though, would the rods be replaceable later or built in? Would you be able to put cheap glow-in-the-dark plastic rods in as an option?

Status
Not open for further replies.