Designing an LED flashlight for Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephenk

Enlightened
I have no issues with the clip being an optional extra - don't need it myself (though I may not be speaking for the majority).
After looking for <$100 Hi-CRI 3000k lights and failing to find any, I'm very very keen on this light!

Amelia

Enlightened
It's a great idea for the titanium clip, those who will pay for a good quality flashlight like myself and many on here will gladly pay $5 extra for a great clip. A titanium one would be excellent and highly recommended!

I'm in agreement with this.

jashhash

Enlightened
Alright folks here is a design for a clip that ive been working on. This will be stamped out of 1mm thk titanium and will be an optional adder. I talked to my flashlight maker about the backing plate idea and they said such a tiny machined part would be difficult to make and it would be more cost effective and secure to change the slot design. So below is a change to one of the two slots, see that i've reduced the width of the slot and added 2 tapped holes on the side to accommodate the clip.

With the clip installed

Without the clip installed

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
Looks pretty good. Can I ask why you are doing the design with a narrow slot vs just removing the slot and doing 2 tapped holes? That way the clip design is much simpler.

jashhash

Enlightened
Design-wise I think it looks a bit bare without the extra slot. Also if you wanted to use an aftermarket clip you still have that option as well. I still need to run this design by a die stamping company to see if they can produce the clip.

gunga

Flashaholic
I know what you mean about looking bare but I don't think the design is super practical. However, I will let you determine if it is. Btw, what aftermarket clip do you mean?

jashhash

Enlightened
Sorry what I meant to say is if you wanted to buy a bolt on clip like the convoy you can install it in the wide slot. then you still have that narrow slot for a lanyard attachment or keychain.

gunga

Flashaholic
How wide are the slots? A ti aftermarket clip based on m2.5 bolts uses 3mm holes that are 7mm centre to centre. The convoy clip uses slightly wider spacing based on m2 bolts (not measured).

jashhash

Enlightened
Good point. The large slot is 12mm long however they are 2mm wide so the bolts in the after market clips probably wont slip through (I'm not sure what screw size they are using on the convoy clip).

seasam

Newly Enlightened
Those renderings with the clip look pretty cool, I like the idea of an additional add on charge for the clip to keep the quality up. As far as clip design, holes, slots, etc... I don't think you can win on that one. For example, if there were threaded holes people who don't run the clip aren't going to like that there are threaded holes with nothing in them :duh2:

jashhash

Enlightened
Stamped clips always have a burred edge where the blank is punched out, the advantage of a machined clip is all the surfaces would be smooth. Here I drew a machined titanium clip. Of course this would be slightly more expensive option. This machined clip is based on a titanium pen I have sitting on my desk which was a gift from Manker which has the best pen clip I've ever used.

mankers pen with a titanium clip

Machined clip

Without clip installed

Last edited:

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
Not a deal breaker but I think it would be better if that clip was in the center of the tab. What if both sides of the flashlights "tab" had a narrow slot with the two clip holes in the center like this: -••- so it would be uniform on each side of the light. Possibly thread both sides in case of stripped threads? AND as an added bonus it's the letter "x" in Morse code (dash dot dot dash). That way you could incorporate the letter X into the product name...the letter x always sells ;-) PS: I would again up my pledge for a milled clip like that if that's how it will be.

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll make it easy for you. Skip the clip altogether.

I remove any clips from my lights as pull them out the box, I can't stand them.

Coltrane

Newly Enlightened
Looks great to me offcenter. Not a clip fan but really nice. Would even consider leaving it on...

snowlover91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the idea for the clip! I would center it if possible it would look a little better that way but the clip design looks great and would give us the option to pay for one or not depending on a persons preference. I would definitely go for this light with a clip like that for sure.

jashhash

Enlightened
Alright here is another slight change to the milled clip. I widened the clip a little to accommodate slightly larger mounting screws. Believe it or not small details are the most expensive parts to machine (especially in titanium) so increasing the hole/slot diameter will make a more robust clip and also bring the machining cost down. However, with the slightly wider clip there is only room for the 2 mounting holes to receive the clip as you can see in the renderings. The clip has also been centered as what is popularly suggested. The clip clearance has also been adjusted to accommodate most leather belts measuring 1-1/4"wide and 1/8"thick.

10mm wide clip installed

without clip

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
Nailed it. Looks really nice, I like it centered! I would guess most people clip these in a pocket though and not over a belt (I could be wrong).

Status
Not open for further replies.