Designing an LED flashlight for Kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

jashhash

Enlightened
Hey folks, sorry it's been so long. I'm definitely going in the direction of the milled clip at this point. I think it's too much risk hoping a stamped clip will turn out just right post launch. If anything goes wrong with the stamp die, or the clip come out too stiff or too flimsy there isn't much I can do once the stamp die is already produced. Also I don't know a stamp die maker that I really trust with producing high quality over here. My thought is I already have a machinist who does awesome work so I'm going to let him do the clip as well. Also the milled clip can be easily tweaked by shaving off a few mills till the springiness is right at the sweet spot. Unfortunately the hole spacing for the clip is 5mm apart so it won't fit other clips, I hope this isn't a deal breaker for you folks. Thank you for your input, and it does help me make decisions, however I know I can't please everyone so at the end of the day I have to make a decision. Overall I just want to make this project as flawless as possible.

lunas

Enlightened
what if you made the tritium section modular with titanium, aluminum, steel, acrylic discs you could alternate materials

4 disc of titanium they could each have a different anodization color easily achieved via electrolysis or humm from the inital design tritium could be dropped from the light in favor of 3 more titanium disc or make it all acrylic...

There would be 3 acrylic disc to diffuse and spread the light from the trits in addition make them protected from impact from keys and such as you said those buggers are expensive.

The disc could be keyed so they cant rotate on the central shaft

mckeand13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you make the clip an option?

I won't use it so I'd prefer to not pay for it.

Thanks

rickyro

Enlightened
Hey folks, sorry it's been so long. I'm definitely going in the direction of the milled clip at this point. I think it's too much risk hoping a stamped clip will turn out just right post launch. If anything goes wrong with the stamp die, or the clip come out too stiff or too flimsy there isn't much I can do once the stamp die is already produced. Also I don't know a stamp die maker that I really trust with producing high quality over here. My thought is I already have a machinist who does awesome work so I'm going to let him do the clip as well. Also the milled clip can be easily tweaked by shaving off a few mills till the springiness is right at the sweet spot. Unfortunately the hole spacing for the clip is 5mm apart so it won't fit other clips, I hope this isn't a deal breaker for you folks. Thank you for your input, and it does help me make decisions, however I know I can't please everyone so at the end of the day I have to make a decision. Overall I just want to make this project as flawless as possible.

The milled clip is OK for me even it is not preferred.

But please do add one extra separate small round hole above the long slot (make the slot shorter) just under the two screws. This hole is for key chain ring (or any ring, such as for camping clip) installation. I found it very useful with my McGizmo clip with that extra tapped hole. Of course, Don adds that hole tapped for tripod mount since the clip has already another separate rounded rectangular hole above. But that tapped round hole is just perfect position to install any ring. You don't need to have the third rounded rectangular hole. Just one separate round hole is enough.

DSC_6880.jpg

Last edited:

rickyro

Enlightened
Why don't you put the ring on the other tail fin with the slot?

I don't understand what tail fin is. :candle:

But if put the ring on that long slot, the ring will slide within it and the position is not fixed.

rickyro

Enlightened
The tail cap has two "fins". One is drilled to mount the clip. The other has a slot in it. That is a good place for a keyring.

That slot is just too long. Check the design of McGizmo clip, add a hole to be at least similar like that right one. No need to have third tapped hole for tripod mount.

jashhash

Enlightened
Hi Ricky, I had intended one of the back fins of the flashlight for keychain attachment and the other to be for clip attachment. The slot for the keychain attachment is 12mm wide so your keys shouldn't slide around too much on that loop. In other news (way off topic) since this flashlight has been taking longer than anticipated to develop I will be launching another much smaller scale filler project on kickstarter this coming Monday which will be some precision machined fridge magnets. I have to keep busy here so this will fill in the development gap of the flashlight. Don't worry this project won't delay the launch of the flashlight I just have to keep busy here to support my family.

Last edited:

jashhash

Enlightened
Hah you crack me up Stephen. Fridge magnets are incredibly easy compared to flashlights. I wouldn't even try making a flashlight for you all if I hadn't been in the lighting business so long. The amount of knowledgeable people on this forum is down right intimidating.

rickyro

Enlightened
Hi Ricky, I had intended one of the back fins of the flashlight for keychain attachment and the other to be for clip attachment. The slot for the keychain attachment is 12mm wide so your keys shouldn't slide around too much on that loop. In other news (way off topic) since this flashlight has been taking longer than anticipated to develop I will be launching another much smaller scale filler project on kickstarter this coming Monday which will be some precision machined fridge magnets. I have to keep busy here so this will fill in the development gap of the flashlight. Don't worry this project won't delay the launch of the flashlight I just have to keep busy here to support my family.

Ah, now I understand what back fins are. You mean the slot beside the button.

That place may hurt the tail sitting and button operation with key chain ring installed there. I really don't like this idea so I never thought about it. I thought it just works as decoration! :)

Last edited:

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened
I just discovered this thread, and it is fascinating. It is hard to get a sense of the size of the prototypes. Would it be possible to include a picture of the prototype next to a AA battery, or something to give it perspective, in the next update? That would be much appreciated. Keep up the good work!

edit: I know the dimensions are mentioned in the first post, but I don't have a good way to measure that currently, and was hoping for a visual. Also, are those initial dimensions still the same this far along in the process?

Also, not having any tritium lights myself, and really liking how these look, I was wondering if there was any possibility you could alternate the trits so there are only 4, and the other 4 would be the filler material, thus halving the cost of the trits, but still giving the illuminated effect. Just a thought.

Last edited:

jashhash

Enlightened
I don't have a physical prototype on me at the moment since its back at the machinist for some trimming but here is a rendering of what the flashlight looks like next to an AA battery. As of now I've decided to only make tritium lights with 8 inserts. I have to keep some sort of standardization for production otherwise the assembly will get really confusing. In other news the magnet project will be launched today (8/31/15) at 12:30pm New York time. If you would like to have a sneek peak of this project you can see it here on the preview link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2112614854/1098576537?token=6f4a1b9e

Status
Not open for further replies.