Who can tell me about this Streamlight?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight SCORPION L2000 85001.

IMG_6355.jpeg

Can anyone give me some information on these lights?
I'd be interested to know what bulb type they use as far as options to keep it going in the future.
What years was this model around (early 2000's?) and were they made in the USA?

I'm familiar with the Surefire 6P and E2E, how does this light compare? I'm assuming it's a decent light.

The sales ad says it comes with a spare bulb but I'd like to know that I can find suitable bulbs with relative ease (I don't live in the USA).

I haven't been able to find much information when searching so I'd be happy to hear some responses.

Edit.
I found some bi-pin Streamlight branded bulbs for: Streamlight Xenon Bulb - Scorpion, TL-2, PolyTac.
I'm assuming these are the right ones. Whether the stock actually exists is another thing but they're listed as in stock.
I couldn't find any details on size and specification.
Are there any equivalent bulbs available?

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
These were made from the mid '90s to the 2010s. Comparable to the Surefire 6P but less expensive, and (IMHO) not made as well. Compared to Surefire they don't have a modding community and they're not valuable. They use Streamlight 85914 bulbs. The included spare is under the flat metal positive terminal in the head.

I had one as my first "modern" flashlight a couple decades ago. Never had any trouble with it other than a melted lens Streamlight repaired for free.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Its a streamlight It's a good light. It's not surefire build quality but it's not bad. It does come with a spare bulb that's right inside the lamp holder. You can still get bulbs on eBay

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info.
It's getting hard to find quality halogen lights (or any at all, for that matter) so when I come across something, I'm usually tempted.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight SCORPION L2000 85001.

View attachment 62472

Can anyone give me some information on these lights?
I'd be interested to know what bulb type they use as far as options to keep it going in the future.
What years was this model around (early 2000's?) and were they made in the USA?

I'm familiar with the Surefire 6P and E2E, how does this light compare? I'm assuming it's a decent light.

The sales ad says it comes with a spare bulb but I'd like to know that I can find suitable bulbs with relative ease (I don't live in the USA).

I haven't been able to find much information when searching so I'd be happy to hear some responses.

Edit.
I found some bi-pin Streamlight branded bulbs for: Streamlight Xenon Bulb - Scorpion, TL-2, PolyTac.
I'm assuming these are the right ones. Whether the stock actually exists is another thing but they're listed as in stock.
I couldn't find any details on size and specification.
Are there any equivalent bulbs available?
That is the flashlight that changed my flashlight world - period. To me, it defined what I'd always wanted in a flashlight during my life to that point. I used 2 for many years, on and off work, heavily at work, and neither ever missed a beat under any conditions. Both still work perfectly - original switches (which I put a billion operations on). You won't have trouble finding bulbs. If BJ says 'in stock', they mean 'in stock';-) I'd use OE bulbs. Yes, 85914 is the correct PN. I just checked a package.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did the original 6P have the same switch operation characteristics? (2-stage, momentary-on, maintained-on, alternate action). Believe it or not, I do not know.
The 6P always had the classic Surefire twist-on. One reason I got the Scorpion, I prefer clickies even though the SF switch is very mechanically sound.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6P always had the classic Surefire twist-on. One reason I got the Scorpion, I prefer clickies even though the SF switch is very mechanically sound.
Thank you ABTO. In that case, I'm going to back off my own previous use of 'comparable' for these, because for my needs at the time (and largely still), I would not have considered them completely so had I known that. I guess I was carrying the 'right light' for me, and didn't even know it at the time.

Switch action is, well, kinda critical to me, and I don't generally consider it 'optional', or 'nice to have', but rather in the 'must have' category. To be clear, I do in fact use different kinds. It's no doubt application-dependant, combined with being subjective. Neither is 'wrong' in general.

I can also say this from much experience with one: My Strion incandescent used the same switching setup you describe, and although I loved that light dearly (I no longer have it;-(, I can definitely say I found it a MAJOR pain to use in my industrial application / environment constantly for 12 hours a night. It was an otherwise perfect light for me. It would be replaced w/ an original Strion LED, which was the best of all worlds and beyond for me. That became my 'benchmark', and really still is I guess.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone know if the Streamlight 85914 bulb is the same size as the Tad Customs bulbs for E series?

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you ABTO. In that case, I'm going to back off my own previous use of 'comparable' for these, because for my needs at the time (and largely still), I would not have considered them completely so had I known that. I guess I was carrying the 'right light' for me, and didn't even know it at the time.

Switch action is, well, kinda critical to me, and I don't generally consider it 'optional', or 'nice to have', but rather in the 'must have' category. To be clear, I do in fact use different kinds. It's no doubt application-dependant, combined with being subjective. Neither is 'wrong' in general.

I can also say this from much experience with one: My Strion incandescent used the same switching setup you describe, and although I loved that light dearly (I no longer have it;-(, I can definitely say I found it a MAJOR pain to use in my industrial application / environment constantly for 12 hours a night. It was an otherwise perfect light for me. It would be replaced w/ an original Strion LED, which was the best of all worlds and beyond for me. That became my 'benchmark', and really still is I guess.
Yeah, my preference has always been conventional switches. Went from the Scorpion to an E1 to a U2.

One interesting note about twist switches: the Strion incan's switch is outwardly similar to the 6P's but it uses a different mechanism that's closer to the Surefire 8X, 10X, etc. The battery (with dual contacts at the head end) moves forward rather than the actual switch completing a circuit.

Does anyone know if the Streamlight 85914 bulb is the same size as the Tad Customs bulbs for E series?
I'm not familiar with those bulbs. I'm sure someone here is.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
If You really consider searching for such a Model,
try to get the upgraded 1*18650 version (instead of the 2 * cr123 original)

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
If You really consider searching for such a Model,
try to get the upgraded 1*18650 version (instead of the 2 * cr123 original)
I didn't search for it, I just came across it.
Is the 18650 model an incan?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yes.
It was the volatage range that dictated what would work where for Tad's bulbs. His 6 volt bulb works in Streamlights (scorpion, TL 2, nite fiter) SureFire E and the A2. If you have some or can find some those are a nice alternative.

The Scorpion saved Streamlight. After the patent infringement loss to Maglite they were floundering. They developed the Scorpion and sold them to the US military along with the SureFire 6P.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Scorpion saved Streamlight. After the patent infringement loss to Maglite they were floundering. They developed the Scorpion and sold them to the US military along with the SureFire 6P.

Do you have an article where I can read more about that? I'm confused about the timeline with the Scorpion.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Definitely comparable to the SureFire 6P. But the Scorpion was less expensive. Lesser quality. They were however easier to acquire at Brick & Mortar store locations than the 6P back in the day. (A considerable advantage back then.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sounds like this light is well regarded and deservedly so.
Oh, definitely. It was easier to find than a SureFire 6P and less expensive too. Plus, being a Streamlight model, it was guaranteed to be noticed by Law-enforcement officers.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
PK told me.
He said there was a 6P order for the military that had Scorpion bulbs because Carly could not keep up.
I believe the thing with the bulbs but I wonder about the legal chronology. Mag won a $3M judgement against Streamlight for trademark infringement in 1987 and the Scorpion came out around 1994. They had a lot of successful lights in the years in between, probably better sellers than the Scorpion.

letschat7

Suspended
That is the flashlight that changed my flashlight world - period. To me, it defined what I'd always wanted in a flashlight during my life to that point. I used 2 for many years, on and off work, heavily at work, and neither ever missed a beat under any conditions. Both still work perfectly - original switches (which I put a billion operations on). You won't have trouble finding bulbs. If BJ says 'in stock', they mean 'in stock';-) I'd use OE bulbs. Yes, 85914 is the correct PN. I just checked a package.
I seen this in Cast Away back in the year 2000 or 2001 when ever it came out and wanted one instantly. Didn't figure out what it was till I seen it on here back in the day.

I can't say it was my first real light, more like my third with GTL 10 and SF 6P being ones I had before this. It was always at a fair price and a great performer back when 70 lumens meant something.

I have two now with spares of everything in case I lose or wear something out. If you live in Canada they still have spare bulbs floating around and EBay seller ship globally sometimes.

Reactions: F89